• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Error in the Hylian Religion

i agree that it could be a worship place and i also agree that the temples were likely places of worship before monsters inhabited them but how is the temple of time identical to a church? there are no benches for people to sit. there is no podium for a speaker. the only podium in the place is for the spiritual stones to go. it really is just a big room with a place to put the stones and a back room where a sword lies. i dont see how it resembles a church in any way.
The architecture and design are very similar. The shape of the building and the interior of the main room resemble one greatly, plus the stained glass windows.

You're right, it is lacking some of the other things. But I don't think they'd necessarily need benches and a podium, as the Hylian religion doesn't seem to function that way. They don't go to church on Sunday or listen to preaching, etc.. They just all worship the Goddesses. The Temples (including the Temple of Time) could just be a place for someone to go and pray.

I don't believe the temples for Greek gods and goddesses had benches either.

Chris

It has been awhile...
People are saying that by the devil they mean Majora, which I don't think is correct. I think they are reffering to some demon or devil like figure, but not in a religious way. The devil is never used much as a religious figure nowadays, but more of a bad figure of evil, that is it.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
I think what these people (including myself) mean is that calling Majora "the devil" is more of a metaphor. Are you familiar with the Adam Sandler film Water Boy?

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
In Majora's mask flat told you that his brother sharp sold his soul to the devil :devil: but as far as we are aware the devil has nothing to do with the hylian religion so what does it mean?

The word devil seem to be quite frequently used in Zeldas. Remember AoL and the river devil, so I guess a devil can be many different things, and Majora might be one of them.

About religion in general. Why does the church in Harbor Town (AoL) has a cross on it? Do they believe in Jesus the Hylians?

About religion in general. Why does the church in Harbor Town (AoL) has a cross on it? Do they believe in Jesus the Hylians?

Crosses were common in LoZ and AoL. It was in the shields and in the Magical Book (called Bible in the original japanese). It was because they wanted the Zelda series to be set in a world similar to the Middle Ages. It doesn't hold any religious significance though...

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Maybe he sold his soul to Majora. His ghost is found right next door to Stonetower Temple, what is believed to be a temple dedicated to praising Majora.

Yes, i also was thinking that.
Majora could be the devil. just like how the giants call theirselfs gods or guardian deities.
or a better example, the 3 godesses, and each one has its own name.

My point is that some gods or devils have a name, this goes for the games and even in real life.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
The devil has never been brought up in Hylian or Terminanian(did I just make that up?) creation stories outside of the Majora's mask itself.

I would think that this creature(at most) to the plot could be some greater evil than Ganon. At the least, it was mentioned in Majora's Mask in the sense that was earlier discussed.

Not a whole lot can be said, it's only speculation from there.

majora i sthe devil..............?..................anyone?
A fairly common opinion. Most people think that Majora is some kind of demon, and going by that idea, it's not hard to believe he's the devil of Zelda, or at least Termina.

But it's not technically proven.

There has been crosses and churches in the Zelda series since it first released. And Ganon has been referred to the devil, or demon king several times. His underworld has also been referred to as Hell. Religion has been mixed up so much in the series though. There is a lot more references in the JP versions of the games.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Flat out Flat isn't from Hyrule. He's from Termina which doesn't have the same religion (I'm not even sure there is one). And also if he was from Hyrule then that might mean it's Ganon/dorf that he sold his soul to. Simpleish.

S

Serenia

There's a church in AoL as well, but it has a cross on top of it!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The "devil" could well be metaphorical for general evil, rather than a specific personality. I don't think it's a mistake.

Actually, even in Christianity (if you study it hardcore), the devil isn't exactly as well-defined as most people think. In fact, I have heard that "Satan" in original Jewish thought wasn't even the enemy of God, but was strictly the enemy of mankind, "Satan = literally, "The Adversary." And all that hooves and horns stuff? If I'm not mistaken, that came about as a result of Christianity moving into Europe and people wanting to equate the local gods (Celtic horned god?) with evil to get people to convert/condemn the pagans and so forth. As I recall in my personal Bible study, Satan/the devil is fairly vague, often thought to be a fallen angel and so forth - but could be seen as a metaphor for general evil. I also seem to remember, in the Old Testament, the devil being equated with Baal (Cananine fertility god)...

Er, anyway, back to Zelda... I can see the "devil" referred to as being entirely metaphorical, like "selling your soul to sin," or possibly Majora, or possibly something else.

I always kind of thought that, in Hyrule, Ganondorf was kind of like their version of Satan, with the notable difference that he was a mortal being that earned the position (rather than fallen angel or mysterious force). Then again, I don't think everything (or anything) in Zelda religion/myth wise has to or is even meant to connect to anything strongly as far as real world religion goes. I think Nintendo likes to borrow general themes, and this or that they think is neat from various cultures, but the Zelda games exist in their own universe (or multiverse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom