• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Epona

L

Legendary Dude

Should Epona be in SkyWard Sword? Or should there be another way of transportation for Link?

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
No way, Epona has been a part of the series for such a long time, she's almost as legendary as Link. Take her out, and the series could be ruined. However, Link should be able to have others means of transportation then just a horse. That would make a new interesting twist to the series.

:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

there are reasons why she should and should not. we could see some innovative gameplay based on horse combat. we also could have more intriguing environments like axel said if we had no horse. there are good points on both sides

A

Adolf Wolf

No way, Epona has been a part of the series for such a long time, she's almost as legendary as Link. Take her out, and the series could be ruined.

Three games? I don't think Epona is necessary to gameplay or even story. Maybe in MM, and certainly in TP, but even in OoT you don't actually have to rescue her from Ingo.

I think the fact that Link can run faster is pretty good evidence that there won't be any transportation at all. That's what it seems like to me, at least. During the Iwata Asks session they did say something about the sky being important though, so maybe flight is incorporated and they're still trying to keep it on the DL? Because if Link runs faster on land, there's still potential for air or sea transportation (though I'm hoping not the latter).

EDIT: oh yeah I guess she did appear during the title sequence of the Oracle games, but I don't think that counts as being "in the game."

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I think the fact that Link can run faster is pretty good evidence that there won't be any transportation at all.

I doubt it. There will be transportation, and I think certainly it will be on horseback...from a marketing perspective it is a really good thing to show in clips of the game, and it is fun. I highly doubt they would drop it.

a good point is made there, however it is already thought that there may be air travel, and i cannot see both of them being in the same game

A

AKRedden

As Adolf Wolf said, Epona isn't really isn't needed for the plot even though she has been a loved character for the story line. She play bigger role in TP but that was because in other games the only reason she was needed was for fast travel through Hyrule or Termina. In the Skyward Sword, you actually get the chance to run and if there is a different method of travel, I don't see why she would be needed in this game.

P.S. Everyone makes good points though, I don't want to start any arguments with anyone since this is my first day posting, haha.

A

Adolf Wolf

I doubt it. There will be transportation, and I think certainly it will be on horseback...from a marketing perspective it is a really good thing to show in clips of the game, and it is fun. I highly doubt they would drop it.

I don't know ... why have a horse when you can already run a lot faster (run faster than usual, not necessarily faster than the horse, lol)? Or rather, why allow Link to run faster if there is a horse? I mean, they already did drop it, in Wind Waker. So I see no reason why they can't do it again, especially if she's not necessary.

You could very well be right, but from what I've seen so far this game just doesn't need to have a horse.

However, we have yet to see anything of the overworld. If the game is as expansive as Twilight Princess then surely there will be transportation of some form.

R

Rarulla6

Since this game is going to be all about the sky and all the crap floating in it, I think that Epona will have the ability to sprout wings and fly.

Yeeaaaaah, that's just what Zelda needs.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Three games? I don't think Epona is necessary to gameplay or even story. Maybe in MM, and certainly in TP, but even in OoT you don't actually have to rescue her from Ingo.

Well, actually, you do. To cross into Gerudo Territory, you need Epona to jump that giant gap before the bridge is fixed. Just saying.

I'd be fine not having Epona, though. Link sprinting like that is enough to love the game. But the only problem is that there seems to be energy meter that tracks your running (did anyone else notice it?). Whenever Link sprints, there's a little green Mario-like meter thing that seems to lower the longer you run. So I guess another mode of transportation is required, since Link will probably tire from all that running...

Try to catch the energy meter thing in the SS trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEerj89rD4k

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
As much as I love Epona, I honestly really doubt she's going to be in SS for the simple reason that there doesn't seem to be a need for her in this game.

For one thing, Link can dash, and he appears to be able to perform other maneuvers and jumps of some kind. This already gives him a faster method of moving about than just running around, as well as potential to get over obstacles that may have otherwise required a horse. This is coupled with the fact that the SS overworld was stated to be smaller than TP's because they were trying to make a more condensed field. Less distances between places means less need for speedy long distance transportation, which is what Epona is usually used for.

In addition, since the sky plays a major role in the game, ground level transportation is likely to lose prominence in the game. Epona will likely never get wings, so she won't be any help to Link in the sky, and I somehow doubt we're going to find horses being used in the Sky Loft as that just seems to absurd. Epona just doesn't seem to fit with the other elements of this game, so as much as I hate it, I doubt she's going to be used in SS.

D

dsp2000

Yeah, but just make her available after completing a side-quest or something. Don't make "getting-her" something you have to do in order to complete the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

0-enigma-0

No way, Epona has been a part of the series for such a long time, she's almost as legendary as Link. Take her out, and the series could be ruined. However, Link should be able to have others means of transportation then just a horse. That would make a new interesting twist to the series.

:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

Did you forget about the King of Red Lions boat in TWW, and the Spirit train in spirit tracks ? He has had other forms of transportation. I wouldn't mind if Epona wasn't implemented in the game. I would like to see something more original. Let's keep our fingers crossed !

Although I don't think Epona is going to make an appearance in this game due to the more condensed overworld. I almost think that based on all of the images Link just keeps journeying through the world and everything from the inside to some mysterious outer border is navigable.

With that being said, I think Nintendo could still make an interesting use out of Epona. For instance, if there is tons of wilderness around you, then imagine plowing through enemies and trees and what not all in a new woods location. Plus that scorpion battle looked like it occurred in a desert (makes sense with the whole scorpion thing), and I highly doubt Link is just going to run off into a desert...this needs to be released sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom