• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Epona in Skyward Sword

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
Yeah, Epona was just a pony in OoT. There is no way she could be alive centuries before then. Plus, the land below Skyloft is full of monsters... EPONA COULD GET EATEN!!! :O

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Yeah, Epona was just a pony in OoT. There is no way she could be alive centuries before then. Plus, the land below Skyloft is full of monsters... EPONA COULD GET EATEN!!! :O
yes, and Epona couldn't be in SkyLoft, she could run off the side and fall through the clouds... :O

But, i can imagine Link trying to fly his LoftBird while holding Epona... ^^

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
It could be that we use the Loftbird for transportation in the sky and Epona on solid ground. Nintendo hasn't made any mention of Epona yet for SS (atleast not that I've heard), so I guess it could go either way. But we do know that there are statues present on land where you can presumably call your bird and head back to the sky. Not quite sure yet on how the statue mechanic is going to work. But if that is the case then reaching your Loftbird and flying to other portals (therefore getting you to other places of the land below) would be quite a quick process, so Epona might not be needed. However, I can imagine how calling your bird over and over could be quite tedious, so there is still room for Epona's presence. Incorporating her into the game doesn't seem like it'd be that much of an issue... Bah, what do I know?

"Yeah, Epona was just a pony in OoT. There is no way she could be alive centuries before then. Plus, the land below Skyloft is full of monsters... EPONA COULD GET EATEN!!!"

That really isn't an issue at all. Epona was present in Twilight Princess, which we can assume was way after Ocarina of Time. There is more than one Epona, just like how there is more than one Link. Also, her safety in the land below could be prelevent in the story. You may end up rescuing her and then taming her for your benefit. There are many ways in which Epona can be brought into Skyward Sword.

And sorry for the double post....

Maxxxers

Fanboy
I dont think that there will be Epona in the game. Didnt they say that the game will be fuller and that there wont be empty fields and that there will be things to within the fields. I hope this is true. Hopefully a lot of mini-quests and a lot of trading sequences.

If they do bring back Epona, I hope they give you a way of calling Epona much earlier than they did in TP with the horse call. I felt slow running around looking for horse grass...also I barely used Epona in the second half of TP

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
If they do bring back Epona, I hope they give you a way of calling Epona much earlier than they did in TP with the horse call. I felt slow running around looking for horse grass...also I barely used Epona in the second half of TP

True, I felt the same way. And the horse charm thingy (sorry, I forgot what it's called) wasn't even that useful near the end. That item should've been given to us in an earlier part of the game.

Good thing Skyward Sword is going to give you the neat items early in the game! :)

Back to getting on the subject, again, i'm sure she's not gonna be in the game. I mean, we already have the bird right? But hey, I could be mistaken.

Unfortunately, I don't see horseback riding returning for this one. Above the clouds is looking to be the hub world of this game, requiring a means of travel to cover the large amount of space. The world below has been mentioned to cross the line between field and dungeon, reducing a need for transport. The game has also been explained as a more dense experience, reducing the amount of space that would otherwise be wasted, as exemplified by Twilight Princess' Hyrule field.

I imagine the world below will function more like classic Zelda games where, in order to proceed, you have to have the necessary items or perform certain tasks to continue exploring. Also, like A Link to the Past's Dark World desert and Windwaker's Mother and Child Islands, I'm to assume there are places you will only be able to reach through certain, maybe even hidden, portals in the world above.

It's looking like you speedy travels will be by air, not on horse. I can only hope they showcase some bird combat soon to help ease our transition from horse to bird.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Well this depends. If the land below the clouds is as big as other Hyrule fields we have seen, then I don't think they will leave us to walk all over it. This also depends if our bird comes below the clouds, if it does then it pretty much replaces Epona. I wish she would be in this game though, I think they could have expanded upon horse back combat. I guess we will just have to see when the game comes out.

I would like Epona to be a form of transport in the world below (Hyrule?). It might be a bit odd when one considers that a vast part (at least) of the Hyrule(?) overworld will reportedly play like a dungeon.

It would be like having Epona in a dungeon, which would further help make Skyward Sword an oddball in the series. (I don't mean oddball in a negative way, despite the connotation...) Wishful thinking on my behalf, but I personally think it would be kinda cool to see Epona in a dungeon! :)

Blendercat

Riding Suicune
Well, the bird will be named Epona, but eventually when you fly your bird under the clouds someone teaches you a song on an instrument, or an item, not sure, that changes it between bird and horse.

JK, but I think that you can use the bird to go to places you've already been to, or to Skyloft(Sorta like Fly in the Pokemon games, or the Song of Soaring).

Also, at Wolf Sage, I think a dungeon where you need to use Epona would be really fun, but maybe you should have to work for it, like you see someone steal a horse, then attack him on the bird, and then tame the horse.

thereasonbeing

The Floor is Lava
While I highly doubt Epona will be in the game, its interesting to look at it like this:

If Epona does not feature in Skyward Sword it will be the first "main" console Zelda game since ALTTP to feature a version of Hyrule Field without Epona. This obviously does not include WW & MM as neither game featured a playable Hyrule Field. She is arguably as much a Zelda staple as, say, the bow and arrow, at least these days.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
ok, so, they (Aonuma and Nintendo) already said that the clouds would be like the Great Sea in WW, you traveled to each location from the sea correct? using the boat? well, the same applies here, you travel to each location LIKE it's a sea, a "sea of clouds", via LoftBird. so, no Epona, just what i've said countless times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom