• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Epona Anyone?

So do you like Epona? Love her? Hate her?

Do you think of her as a main character in the games that she has been in?

Do you enjoy her song, Epona's Song?

I personally love Epona. Next to Link, she is one of my favorite characters.
:lol:

shes ok. shes definitely an important character, and i love her song. but i personally find it hard getting attached to characters that dont talk...

Ganondork

goo
Epona's real amount of usage definitely varies from Zelda title to Zelda title, and I feel this affects my feelings towards her. In Ocarina of Time - like we all know - you win her in a race and from there her use begins to decline. It unlocks the trade sequence for the Biggoron sword - which I liked - and makes it possible to get one of the empty bottles. Aside from that, her use in that game really just isn't too much. I liked how they introduced Epona's song and managed to keep it going throughout the Zelda titles with Epona in them.

In Majora's Mask, her use decreases even more. You lose her to Skull Kid - and he either kills her or sends her away - and you get her back - or Termina's Epona. From there you use her to get - yet again - an empty bottle when you help get rid of the alien invaders, gets you the Garo's Mask by winning it from the Gorman Brothers, and allows you to enter Great Bay. Now of course, you can continue using her if you feel the need to, but I've found the bunny hood - although slower - has a bit better turning than Epona does, and there is no wasted time while mounting/dismounting. In here, she is much like optional masks - she's there for your comfort, but you don't need her a great deal of the time.

Twilight Princess is where her usage really kicks in. You basically start the game with Epona, and you use her for wrangling goats, and many, many other important tasks in the game. Unlike in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, there are multiple things that are required of Epona to continue the game. Whether it's fighting King Bulblin on the Eldin Bridge, or it's fighting Ganondorf on horseback, she is definitely needed. And one of the more interesting things is that she knows that you're wolf form is still you, and you can even talk to her while you're a wolf. Although she doesn't say much, it shows inteligence in her as an animal. In Twilight Princess, I didn't just feel like she was a small addition to the story, I felt like she was actually as important to the story as Ilia, or Rusl.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
shes ok. shes definitely an important character, and i love her song. but i personally find it hard getting attached to characters that dont talk...

If that's the official reason that Epona is only ok, you might want to have a look at Link...

Besides that, I like her. I couldn't picture her in toon games, but she definitely is a MUST HAVE for all the games that she's in.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I mostly agree with Ganondork's assessment. Epona was fairly limited in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. It should be noted that something contributing to her being less useful in Ocarina of Time is that travel distances are shorter there than in games such as Twilight Princess. However, she is fast enough that she considerably shortens journeys, unlike in Majora's Mask, where the journeys are generally short enough anyway.

In Twilight Princess she is definitely at her best. With more uses not only in travel and in getting through the main quest, but with more minigames devoted to her, Epona was a great part of Twilight Princess.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
I love her, one of the best companions, and was least seen in OoT/MM TP made amazing use of her, and actually had a story for her.

And anyone notice that her song sounds like:

Oooooooooooot, Oooooooooot,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom