• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Enemy that scared you as a child

Really, the thing that freaked me out the most were the Guardians from SS. When ever I was spotted I'd freak out and my heart would race. I don't think any other enemy has done that.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Interestingly, the enemy that scared me most was OoT Redeads. The artwork of them in particular creeped me out.

redead_oot.png

I would get so nervous when getting the Sun's Song, or going into the Bottom of the Well. I went out of my way to beat the Spirit Temple without the Lens of Truth or the Hover Boots (it's possible, but difficult) in order to save the Shadow Temple and well for last. I had to really work up the nerve to beat the game the first time, because I kept running out of those levels screaming with my heart racing. It was like a horror movie for me.

The first thing I ever wrote and had published online is actually me asking someone how to get over my fear of them on a site called HTLOZ that was popular back in the day. There's still a record of it, apparently.

NkzMDBn.png

http://www.htloz.net/archives/htloz/1999-08/letters.html

I think I first got Internet access in December 1998, so this was just under a year after I got online for the first time. He probably thought I was trolling him, but I was actually serious.

LMFAO, for some perspective, everyone, Ocarina of Time came out in '98.

karu

Panamaniac
ReDeads!

There I was in the graveyard pulling back a stone and I discovered a hole in the ground. Of course I went down to see what was down the hole and once I had entered I saw a naked brown man. So I went over to investigate but then I heard this horrible scream. Next thing I know he was on my back, molesting me. I tapped my controller frantically trying to get free but there was nothing I could do. I had been buggered to death.

I had nightmares for years about those creatures and I was terrified to approach them in game from then on.

LikeLikes

These were almost as scary as the ReDeads. Now I know it's not a huge deal if you get your shield or tunic eaten, it is just an inconvenience. However for a young me having my shield or tunic eaten was THE END. If I got sucked up I would switch my console off at the mains. The sound of the LikeLikes made my heart race. My worst encounter with them was in MM because there are hundreds on the beach at night and I really wasn't expecting that.

Wall/Floormasters

The wallmasters shadow above me made me want to wee myself and like @Satan said being taken back to the beginning of a corridor seemed like the worst thing ever.

The floormaster was also scary. Like the ReDead and LikeLike these enemies can grab you and I don't like that feeling of helplessness as I am in their grasp.

Takkuri

Having your items stolen was even worse than death especially if you didn't know how to get them back. The Takkuri was as bad as the LikeLike in this regard and plus it looks creepy.
I get ReDeads, I'm replaying through Oot rn and those things still f*** me up.

The well in general like @Shroom said, still have to mentally prepare myself for that. As a kid I went into the well think "Yes some sort of water dungeon" I go in there and I didn't touch the game until much later in the week. That's how terrified I was back then and still am.

The puppets in the Lost Woods in TP, not sure the actual name. Those things are outright creepy and every time I went in there I dreaded the chasing Skull Kid around having those things pop up randomly. One time I was using the Hawk Eyes looking around my first time up at the trees cause I though I say something and one of those magically appears; me *screeches resembling a banshee dying at the hands of a redead while falling of a high chair while crossed legged*

And honestly I don't get why people are afraid of like-likes

Oh and the 4 Poe souls in Arbiter's Grounds. Arbiter Grounds in general I get scared way to easily

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I get ReDeads, I'm replaying through Oot rn and those things still f*** me up.

The well in general like @Shroom said, still have to mentally prepare myself for that. As a kid I went into the well think "Yes some sort of water dungeon" I go in there and I didn't touch the game until much later in the week. That's how terrified I was back then and still am.

The puppets in the Lost Woods in TP, not sure the actual name. Those things are outright creepy and every time I went in there I dreaded the chasing Skull Kid around having those things pop up randomly. One time I was using the Hawk Eyes looking around my first time up at the trees cause I though I say something and one of those magically appears; me *screeches resembling a banshee dying at the hands of a redead while falling of a high chair while crossed legged*

And honestly I don't get why people are afraid of like-likes

Oh and the 4 Pod souls in Arbiter's Grounds. Arbiter Grounds in general I get scared way to easily

I think any enemy that takes control away from you is scary. Particularly as a child where dying in game or losing a shield is a big deal and you tap helplessly on your controller as some big disgusting creature either sucks you up, or some zombie jumps on your back or some ghost attaches itself to you and you can't control yourself. Which brings me to add one more to my list. Wind Waker Poes!

Ninja

Well well well
Wallmasters. It's not really the monster itself, but the damned sound effect that happens as they are dropping down.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I didn't play Zelda when I was a kid. In fact Zelda didn't even exist when I was a kid :P And I won't say I was scared (not the slightest at all) but the creepiest enemy I came across was Deadhand. At first I saw this hand falling down from the wall and I was like "wtf is THAT?! Is it the hand of the devil trying to squeeze the life out of me?!" But it was only a crepy floormaster. Not even half as creepy as what I was about to face. And then I came across Deadhand for the first time. I entered this room. Door closed behind me. So far so good. These four "stakes" coming out of the ground and I was like WHA???? But everything still cool, right? Then one hand grabbed me and this creepy lifesucker came out. I thought I was playing a scene in Night of the living dead. I had no clue how to kill that sucker. Then I figured out I had to use bombs... Alrighty then. But damn that thing was really creepy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom