• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Enemy that scared you as a child

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I'm sure most of us that grew up playing Zelda had that one enemy or boss we couldn't stand going to fight because they terrified us. Some by appearance, others by fighting style, or both.

For me it was not Dead Hand, not Bongo Bongo, but....the Big Octo from Wind Waker.

I always thought it was so terrifying whenever you were pleasantly sailing during a starry night and all of the sudden it started storming and this giant octopus with at least 10 eyeballs popped out of nowhere. Still scares me to this day.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Pretty much everything in the well and Shadow Temple in OoT as a kid. I remember I had to mentally prep for a day or so to tackle the well because I was so scared. Bongo Bongo was actually a pretty tame end for the whole thing, but the environment combined with the enemies leading up to him scared me as a kid.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
ReDeads!

There I was in the graveyard pulling back a stone and I discovered a hole in the ground. Of course I went down to see what was down the hole and once I had entered I saw a naked brown man. So I went over to investigate but then I heard this horrible scream. Next thing I know he was on my back, molesting me. I tapped my controller frantically trying to get free but there was nothing I could do. I had been buggered to death.

I had nightmares for years about those creatures and I was terrified to approach them in game from then on.

LikeLikes

These were almost as scary as the ReDeads. Now I know it's not a huge deal if you get your shield or tunic eaten, it is just an inconvenience. However for a young me having my shield or tunic eaten was THE END. If I got sucked up I would switch my console off at the mains. The sound of the LikeLikes made my heart race. My worst encounter with them was in MM because there are hundreds on the beach at night and I really wasn't expecting that.

Wall/Floormasters

The wallmasters shadow above me made me want to wee myself and like @Satan said being taken back to the beginning of a corridor seemed like the worst thing ever.

The floormaster was also scary. Like the ReDead and LikeLike these enemies can grab you and I don't like that feeling of helplessness as I am in their grasp.

Takkuri

Having your items stolen was even worse than death especially if you didn't know how to get them back. The Takkuri was as bad as the LikeLike in this regard and plus it looks creepy.

Last edited:

funnier6

Courage~
Yeah, redeads are freaky, and wallmasters are OH GOD RUNNN, but the worst thing for me were those soldier spirits in the silent realms of SS. Yeah, sure I was older, but when one of those things finally hunted me down I FELT myself get sliced. Might just be me but every time I was spotted I felt like I was in a horror movie.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Haha I did this too

I did this with Twinrova also. You are supposed to charge your shield with several of the same element attacks and once you have three you can shoot it back at her but after reading a walkthrough online I got the impression you would have to start the entire game again if you accidentally charged your shield with the wrong element. So if I made the mistake the console would get turned off right away.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I did this with Twinrova also. You are supposed to charge your shield with several of the same element attacks and once you have three you can shoot it back at her but after reading a walkthrough online I got the impression you would have to start the entire game again if you accidentally charged your shield with the wrong element. So if I made the mistake the console would get turned off right away.

Oh wow haha

NintendoCN

Team Captain
On the day SS was released I got to the first dungeon and saw the skulltulas, they were huge and threatening. I have arachnophobia so naturally I would fear them, since at the time I was completely immersed.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Interestingly, the enemy that scared me most was OoT Redeads. The artwork of them in particular creeped me out.

redead_oot.png

I would get so nervous when getting the Sun's Song, or going into the Bottom of the Well. I went out of my way to beat the Spirit Temple without the Lens of Truth or the Hover Boots (it's possible, but difficult) in order to save the Shadow Temple and well for last. I had to really work up the nerve to beat the game the first time, because I kept running out of those levels screaming with my heart racing. It was like a horror movie for me.

The first thing I ever wrote and had published online is actually me asking someone how to get over my fear of them on a site called HTLOZ that was popular back in the day. There's still a record of it, apparently.

NkzMDBn.png

http://www.htloz.net/archives/htloz/1999-08/letters.html

I think I first got Internet access in December 1998, so this was just under a year after I got online for the first time. He probably thought I was trolling him, but I was actually serious.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Interestingly, the enemy that scared me most was OoT Redeads. The artwork of them in particular creeped me out.

redead_oot.png

I would get so nervous when getting the Sun's Song, or going into the Bottom of the Well. I went out of my way to beat the Spirit Temple without the Lens of Truth or the Hover Boots (it's possible, but difficult) in order to save the Shadow Temple and well for last. I had to really work up the nerve to beat the game the first time, because I kept running out of those levels screaming with my heart racing. It was like a horror movie for me.

The first thing I ever wrote and had published online is actually me asking someone how to get over my fear of them on a site called HTLOZ that was popular back in the day. There's still a record of it, apparently.

NkzMDBn.png

http://www.htloz.net/archives/htloz/1999-08/letters.html

I think I first got Internet access in December 1998, so this was just under a year after I got online for the first time. He probably thought I was trolling him, but I was actually serious.

^You should make this an actual thread lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom