• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Enemies AI

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
If the monsters didn't hesitate and there were more of them attacking you at once, the game would be so much harder.

Back in the ALttP days, as soon as enemies saw you they charged at you. Now-a-days we have enemies who stalk you, but have no defenses. They carry shields, but they do NOT know how to use them.

Yeah it would be harder but it would be better harder. And second you forgot the dinalfos of Tp. They are covered from head to toe in armor and have a shield which they use if you try to slash at them.

octorok74

TETTAC
Whoa, a Darknut or Iron Knuckle with artificial intelligence, good bye Link. It sounds like a great idea. Although if you give a Redead AI, Link would probably run in fear.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Whoa, a Darknut or Iron Knuckle with artificial intelligence, good bye Link. It sounds like a great idea. Although if you give a Redead AI, Link would probably run in fear.

Well, of course he'd run... I'd run. I mean, perhaps his fear would slow him down at times, like when progressing through a dungeon.

There could also be an adrenaline factor. During boss fights and such.

But the point about the redead is an interesting one. They'd be enemies which are relatively mindless, but they like to attack in groups. I think that they should give all enemies and characters a bit more personality and habits.

i think they should give enemies better AI. not all enimies though. as others have said, just the -fos and darknuts. it would be awesomely hard :devil:.

I

Ignis

One thing I'd like to see are enemy corpses remaining in the area for at least some time. The smoke animation doesn't do it. If the corpses remain there, the player may do stuff like throwing it at the river for a certain cause, etc. Fun stuff. :)

I'd really love to see this in a future Zelda, AI that actually strategy, More realistic healing and hunting strategies.

There is already small amounts of this, Examples being Keese usually hang around in groups ready to attack but that isn't really good enough. I really want to see hard to beat enemies using real life strategies in the games. The current enemies die to easily, don't heal at all (I would like to see a system like CoD 4 introduced for them) and just move around aimlessly trying to hurt you.

It would be good to see them more realistically injured, so if you hit them in a certain place it becomes limp and weak. So if you hit them in the arm they'd be unable to use it for fighting effectively for a small period of time (that mixing in with the health regen over time).

I would like to see more of this incorperated into future Zeldas, it would make it more interesting as well =D

Alex_Da_Great

Dark Link is here...
Yeah, I would like a bit of a challenge with the monsters instead of the dumb ones where you can kill in a few sword slashes. It would be cool if a whole pack start chasing after you but sometimes it's crap if you are low in health...

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Well, Link was always portrayed as several tiers above your average mook. It makes sense he can sleepwalk his way through Hyrule field and not get scratched by moblin/bublins/whatever is currently haunting the landscape.

But for enemies like Darknuts, I would certainly embrace a more in depth fighting system, especially when you bring consider the idea of fighting off whole groups of them.

Still, its a slippery slope. Zelda is not an action series, and I don't want to suddenly see Devil May Cry or God of War type fighting, as fun as they are. Its not the right series.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
Well, Link was always portrayed as several tiers above your average mook. It makes sense he can sleepwalk his way through Hyrule field and not get scratched by moblin/bublins/whatever is currently haunting the landscape.

But for enemies like Darknuts, I would certainly embrace a more in depth fighting system, especially when you bring consider the idea of fighting off whole groups of them.

Still, its a slippery slope. Zelda is not an action series, and I don't want to suddenly see Devil May Cry or God of War type fighting, as fun as they are. Its not the right series.

I agree with that, but I want to see realism.

What I think would be a great idea is having Hylian Knights get in on the action. Maybe even a small battle where Link comes to their rescue. Have fighting NPCs which can die or be saved, etc.

I want more open ended-ness and options which change outcomes.

Q

Quazaar

If the monsters didn't hesitate and there were more of them attacking you at once, the game would be so much harder.

Back in the ALttP days, as soon as enemies saw you they charged at you. Now-a-days we have enemies who stalk you, but have no defenses. They carry shields, but they do NOT know how to use them.
I was playing Twilight Princess and I noticed that when you attack a stalfos they raise their sheild up to defend them selfs

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'd like some advanced A.I. for dungeon enemies (especially bosses and mini-bosses), but it would be just a little too much to deal with on the overworld.

After all, dungeons are supposed to be the places where anyone but Link would die in seconds. I want to be able to reach the dungeons without much hassle, but then be challenged upon entry.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I just want enemies who aren't blatantly idiotic. I mean, I distinctly remember a room in TP's City in the Sky where there were two Lizardfoes standing on seperate platforms surrounded by an abyss. I snipe one with a bomb arrow and the other commits suicide by walking off the edge of the platform while going over to investigate the noise my bomb arrow made. Is it too much to make the enemies realize that they're not supposed to walk where there's no ground?

Also, somewhere earlier in this thread someone mentioned wanting enemies that change their tactics once their weak spot has been found. I definitely agree that bosses and minibosses need to be able to do that. It makes me think of Malladus (stop reading now if you don't want to be spoiled on how to beat him) during the final phase where you have to distract him so Zelda can shoot him with a Light Arrow. You'd think that after the first shot he'd realize he needs to focus more on Zelda, but it never got any harder to distract him. I think at the very least bosses and minibosses need to be given proper fighting abilities since at this point, their huge size, terrifying roar, or frightfully epic appearance only serve to make them all the more pathetic when most players can kill them in five minutes on their first try.

Tom

Do you know that game called "Fable: The Lost Chapters"?
Well, besides being an awesome title for the PC, this game had great AI in it, it really did.
This is, to my eyes, something that would only bring good stuff to the Zelda series, the AI increasement.
It turns every boring Deku Baba battle into really well planned strategy war that will make each enemy look like a mini-boss.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Haha, all these ideas are awesome!
Maybe something else could be that the enemies set sophisticated traps for you. I don't mean pitfall's that would one hit KO you, just something that could stun you or send you into an overwhelming scenario.

Maybe, also enemies that can change items/weapons to best what Link wants to try fight them with, such as they use their shield if Link uses his bow, or they use a projectile if Link uses some sort of heavy melee weapon. This would certainly mean that you would have to win with more skill or use of reflexes rather than just using the right weapon at the right time.

Didn't they say that in the new Zelda Wii they're going to incorporate sword duels and what have you? Advanced AI for those enemies would certainly present a new challenge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom