• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ending of Ocarina of Time

I go by what the creators have said. Eiji Aonuma (if you even know who that is) mentioned that the split timelne theory is the correct theory.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
I go by what the creators have said. Eiji Aonuma (if you even know who that is) mentioned that the split timelne theory is the correct theory.

That wasn't what he said but that was his implication. That is an important thing to note when analyzing that statement. Does anyone have a copy of that interview in it's original context?

linkman8

True and Noble
I didn't find him originally saying that, but I found this, said by Aonuma himself regarding Twilight Princess's place in the timeline:

–When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...

Found it here: http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1173582355&archive=&start_from=&ucat=19&

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
The Split Timeline occurs because of alternative endings at Ocarina of Time. Not necessaryily two different endings that happen in two different time periods. Let me explain.

As Adult Link, you defeat Ganon, restore Hyule, etc... Zelda sends Link back in time so that he can live his childhood. In this Adult timeline, to me it is assumed that Link DOES not work with Zelda to prevent the events of Ocarina of Time. Thus, the events actually do occur and the storyline continues in the Adult time frame without Link.

The alternative ending is that Link travels back in time and Link and Zelda prevent Ganondorf from ever regaining power. Just keep in mind this is a video game and suppose there is some other way (perhaps the Ocarina of Time as I suggested), that the message was given from Adult Zelda to Young Zelda. Sure Link to did not bring the Ocarina back with him, but it is called the 'Ocarina of Time', perhaps meaning that it has the power to see through time and inherit the message from the future.

Anyway, young Link and Zelda do prevent Ganondorf from taking power and the events of Adult Link never take place. Thus, this is the young Link timeline. Perhaps 'Split' is not the most appropriate word to distinguish the timeline, but it is clear that there are two alternate endings. They don't BOTH happen, but only one happens in each version. Thus, it is not a paradox, but it just spawns two possible endings at which the series has progressed further.

So ya, Majoras Mask does take place somewhere in between the Adult Link and Young Link quest of Ocarina of Time, but you cannot look at it like that. Since Majoras Mask is a sequel to the Young Link ending, where the future isn't known. Remember, the endings don't both occur, only one occurs. If a gamer thinks of the two endings happening simultaneously, that is a flaw in the theory, since they do not. Only one ending can happen at a time.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
EDIT: Thanks Mases, the idea of the Ocarina transferring information through time inspired me to look for ways to resolve the paradox and not just parry it off as imposible.

I have a new explanation and this will be incorporated into the alternate split timeline theory I have created. This resolves the time paradox created by Ocarina of Time and successfully links it to the other games.

Once Link gets sent back in time at the end of the game by Zelda, he meets her again. He makes her aware of what will happen if they continue the route he went before, and because she had dreams that she would meet Link, she trusts him. Link creates plans, possibly to awaken the sages early or to fight the evil influence of Ganondorf as it spreads through Hyrule. Link collects the Ocarina of Time and possibly the spiritual stones, but does not pull out the Master Sword.

Instead he gets Epona, and since Epona has matured a bit (as Link has), so now he is able to ride her. He now has the means to easily and quickly navigate Hyrule and he decides to use this opportunity to begin to awaken the sages early.

He rides Epona into the Lost Woods, in an effort to awaken Saria, when he happens upon the Skull Kid and two fairies…

This is how I think it would impact the timeline. In fact, it would change the location of the split. Because it creates a loop I call it the Split/Loop Timeline. I'll make it a formal thread later with more evidence where it can be argued.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/inflexus/betaloopsplittimelinecopy.png

Last edited:
Inflexus said:
Instead he gets Epona, and since Epona has matured a bit (as Link has), so now he is able to ride her. He now has the means to easily and quickly navigate Hyrule and he decides to use this opportunity to begin to awaken the sages early.

He rides Epona into the Lost Woods, in an effort to awaken Saria, when he happens upon the Skull Kid and two fairies…
Ever play MM or OoT?
If you did, you would know that at the end of OoT, after Link is sent back to the Child Timeline, Navi leaves him. Then in MM, Link is looking for Navi. There has been much debate over this, but if you've played the game you would know at the beginning of the game, it says Link is searching for a "beloved and invaluable friend. One whom he parted ways when he finally fufilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends".
Also, in the beginning of MM you can hear a fairy rattle exactly like Navi's, hinting at the fact that Link is looking for Navi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFT-p2_qYI

From 47-50, you can hear Navi.

LoZfan

Shut up and go away
To be honest i don't think that they we're planing on having a timeline, it seems that each of thee games are their own games and newer gamers can play newer zelda games. They really should have never made link go into the past after OoT.

true. i too don't think that nintendo was looking 4 a timeline. however, if u look at pairs of LoZ games. like LoZ and LA, they're almost sequals to eachother... personally i think the whole Damn thing started with the 1st LoZ. the only difference is there is a new twist with each new LoZ game.

i personally believe the miyamoto is an asian geroge lucas(not being rasist) cuz he knows like where everything fit into the timeline before its made

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
While i believe he was looking for navi, there are people who believe he was looking for Saria.. but that crumbles away when Tatl appears and epona gets wild and Link says something like : "No Epona, that's not her".
He was not searching for the Skull Kid, as he wasn't aware of what the skull kid was doing

Aonuma and Miyamato have talked about the splittime when WW came out.
The split timeline is canon.

Last edited:
I dont rely on what Aunoma has to say so much when it relates to Zelda timeline/storylines, he didnt start helping the Zelda production team until Ocarina of Time.

When it comes to the timeline,Aonuma knows more about it then Miyamoto does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom