• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ending of Ocarina of Time

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Aonuma and Miyamato have talked about the splittime when WW came out.
The split timeline is canon.

For the last time, its a THEORY, just because Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma talked about it doesn 't make it official. Heck Miyamoto himself gets confused with this timelines theories. There is no official timeline or split timeline.

And yes in 2006 Eiji Aonuma stated that that it followed that order.
Just because he stated it doesn't make it canon.

is there any reason why it could not be in the same timeline.

Yes! If TP is first, then the WW backstory makes no sense. If WW is first, the TP is in a post flood Hyrule, but that doesn't fit either because TP is created with a lot of obvious connections to OoT but no references whatsoever to a flood or anything else from windwaker.

It seems that the split timeline is nintendo's way of fixing the mess of inconsistencies created by the first 4 Zelda games. Nintendo has obviously been trying to make some kind of timeline work since OoT. Every post-OoT game has had a hint about where to place it. TP has cutscenes and clue linking it to OoT, MM and WW have backstories that mention OoT, the oracles games have combined ending with link getting on a sail boat like the one in LA, PH is obvious, FSA explains the trident which appears in ALttP, and MC gives hints that it takes place very early in Hyrules history.

Everyone who discounts Aunouma because of the inconsistencies of nintendo's statements is forgetting that canons evolve and later official statements trump older ones. Has nintendo contradicted the split timeline in any way since before OoT was released? I am unaware of any such instance.

For those who say there is no timeline, I would point out that we have a lot of in game connections and official statements saying that there is; however, we have no evidence but dogmatic skepticism to say that there is not. If you think that no consistent timeline can be developed, I will make the bold claim that one already has, but I'm not going to defend it here. (no space)

Also, claiming that there is no timeline may be an easy way to deny a split timeline, but it also means there is no non-split timeline, so what's the fuss over the split timeline?

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Yes! If TP is first, then the WW backstory makes no sense. If WW is first, the TP is in a post flood Hyrule, but that doesn't fit either because TP is created with a lot of obvious connections to OoT but no references whatsoever to a flood or anything else from windwaker.

It seems that the split timeline is nintendo's way of fixing the mess of inconsistencies created by the first 4 Zelda games. Nintendo has obviously been trying to make some kind of timeline work since OoT. Every post-OoT game has had a hint about where to place it. TP has cutscenes and clue linking it to OoT, MM and WW have backstories that mention OoT, the oracles games have combined ending with link getting on a sail boat like the one in LA, PH is obvious, FSA explains the trident which appears in ALttP, and MC gives hints that it takes place very early in Hyrules history.

Everyone who discounts Aunouma because of the inconsistencies of nintendo's statements is forgetting that canons evolve and later official statements trump older ones. Has nintendo contradicted the split timeline in any way since before OoT was released? I am unaware of any such instance.

For those who say there is no timeline, I would point out that we have a lot of in game connections and official statements saying that there is; however, we have no evidence but dogmatic skepticism to say that there is not. If you think that no consistent timeline can be developed, I will make the bold claim that one already has, but I'm not going to defend it here. (no space)

Also, claiming that there is no timeline may be an easy way to deny a split timeline, but it also means there is no non-split timeline, so what's the fuss over the split timeline?

Yes that could be one of the reasons why Aunouma stated that. he stated that in 2006.

and as for the timeline, there is a timeline, but only in theory. there is no official timeline.
now i'm not saying that there are not 2 timelines. i only say that OOT didn 't caused the split timeline. I have gave my reasonings and logic based on facts of OOT itself in this topic so many times. or they juts don 't get my point of vieuw, or they just ignore what i post.

either way, next time i will post an image that i will make on paint and explain why i don 't believe there is a split timeline.

Time travel messes everything up.
And as for why I don't think Twilight Princess and Wind Waker take place in the same timeline,the reason I think that is because in TP Ganon does not seem to recognize the Master Sword,where in WW he did.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Time travel messes everything up.
And as for why I don't think Twilight Princess and Wind Waker take place in the same timeline,the reason I think that is because in TP Ganon does not seem to recognize the Master Sword,where in WW he did.
Look, i think the split timeline theory is a good theory and it does make sense at some points. but i agree, if there is a split timeline then WW and TP does not take place in the same timeline, thats sounds logical.
But TP Ganon said only said "thats a fine sword you got there, but its still just a sword". That doesn 't mean that he doesn 't recognize it.

but one thing is for sure, after nintendo came with WW and TP, then this split timeline theory is invented in 2006 by Aunouma. As Brandon said, maybe they stated this split timeline theory just to get rid of some mess and other facts, but instead the fans questions this more. i don 't think we will never know what the right theory is. The only reason i believe the Liniar Timeline is, because it does make sense with certain facts.

anyway, i made with paint the split timeline and liniar timeline.
Now please look and investigate it carfully with a lot of attention, these 2 images consumed a lot of my time. And hopfully people will get a better idea.

First the Split timeline Theory.
SplitTimeline.jpg

Second, the Liniar timeline Theory.

LiniarTimeline.jpg

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
ok i think it is really rediculous for people to completely go against what the CREATORS are telling us. im pretty sure i would go with what the creator says over what a fan thinks he knows.

as for you saying the timeline is just a theory, that is definitely wrong. the creators have mentioned that they have a computer with files on it that have information that connect each game to each other in chronilogical order. im pretty sure that means the timeline is solid.

as for any statements about Ganondorf not recognizing the master sword in TP, that makes a lot of sense. he says that its a fine sword, but that all it is. if he DID recognize the sword he would be actually be worried, because he was defeated by that sword in OoT, but the fact that he is not worried at all leads me to believe that he has never seen that sword.

Onilink, you are way overanalyzing the time travel thing. its pretty simple. in the end, there is a place where Ganondorf is trapped and Zelda is an adult and she sends Link to the past. when Link is sent to the past, the world that she is in does not just vanish from existence. and Link goes back in time as a child so he is in a different dimension so to speak where he can relive his childhood, but everything he did is still in effect in a different world.

so as far as this conversation goes, its dumb. the creators have confirmed a timeline, they have confirmed a split timeline, they have confirmed that they have documents that explain how each game connects to each other.

stop whining about whether or not there is a timeline or a split timeline and focus on things that we should really be focusing on like where the games fit on the timeline.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
ok i think it is really rediculous for people to completely go against what the CREATORS are telling us. im pretty sure i would go with what the creator says over what a fan thinks he knows.
lol ok then fine, just because Eiji Aonuma confirmed this stupid timeline, then i would also believe it.

Onilink, you are way overanalyzing the time travel thing. its pretty simple. in the end, there is a place where Ganondorf is trapped and Zelda is an adult and she sends Link to the past. when Link is sent to the past, the world that she is in does not just vanish from existence. and Link goes back in time as a child so he is in a different dimension so to speak where he can relive his childhood, but everything he did is still in effect in a different world.
You call it overanalyzing, i call it simple logic based on the facts of the games.
Either way, i have just pointed out some things that don 't seem logical.
Ok even if this split timeline has some poor logic in it, i guess will believe it.
Damn you Eiji Aonuma, its all your fault in the first place xD.

stop whining about whether or not there is a timeline or a split timeline and focus on things that we should really be focusing on like where the games fit on the timeline.
Dude, chill down will ya?
We are not whining here, we are discussing it. Why would there be a topic about this.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
there is a topic about this because people are way too nit picky. we know there is a timeline, the creators said so. we know there is a split timeline, the creators said so. when you think about it, its really rediculous to have a conversation about whether or not there is a split/timeline when we KNOW there is.

and for the record, i am chill. its impossible to tell emotion from text, youre reading my text as me being angry or snippy, but that doesnt mean i AM angry or snippy. would adding an emoticon help you read my text better? here you go :D

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
there is a topic about this because people are way too nit picky. we know there is a timeline, the creators said so. we know there is a split timeline, the creators said so. when you think about it, its really rediculous to have a conversation about whether or not there is a split/timeline when we KNOW there is.

and for the record, i am chill. its impossible to tell emotion from text, youre reading my text as me being angry or snippy, but that doesnt mean i AM angry or snippy. would adding an emoticon help you read my text better? here you go :D

Yes we are picky, because most of the zelda fans are gatherd to a zelda based forum to discuss it. That also includes me, thats the whole idea of ZD forum. To dicuss the things about zelda that goes deeper beyond the normal questions.

But yeah, i also get your idea. It may seems rediculous/dumb to you to discuss this sorta things.
Somthing like: "the creators already confirmed this, so case closed. there is nothing to discuss about it"
If its that rediculous/dumb to you, then why do you post in this thread?

you are making this a case of "this is right and this is wrong"
now i said that i believed more in the linear timeline then in the split timeline. now midna666 shares his toughts and opinions, and i agreed with him at some points. i didn 't say that the split timeline is incorrect, i only was saying that its has some inlogical points (what you called overanalyzing).
Thats why i made 2 images on paint to explain what my toughts were.
Now this is a proper discussion. sharing toughts, opinions, reasons, you can agree and disagree. But not "this is right and this is wrong, so no need to continue"

Anyway, i will withdraw from this topic for a while. Because this is getting way off topic.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Oni, my lush euro zelda pal xD, midna666 is a guy... yes, the username is misleading, but it's a guy...
also, i believe more in the split timeline, but both the split and the linear seem pretty possible to me... i guess that we should wait and see what Shiggy and Aonouma say about it in the future

EDIT By Onilink89: lol thnx for pointing that out. Because we have many female members, i get sometimes confused. either way i fixed that now xD

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom