• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Emulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyan Cat

Nyan! Nyan!
I think you shouldn't have a rom without the game. It kind of cheats the company who made the game (Less it a super old game from like the 90's) In which case that game is outdated, most would not mind.

But overall, I'm okay with Emulators and roms. Just as long as someone doesn't go overboard with them.

I remember reading about a recent court case regarding old games being played via emulation. The judge ruled in favor of ROMs, pretty much saying there's no reason that we can't play an old game that isn't for sale anymore.

I believe that Emulation is only okay when you have no other "Legal" means to play a game whether it mean that the game never got a release outside of Japan (Mother 3) etc. Or when your original copy of a game is rendered unplayable.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Emulation is legal but the ROMs and ISOs can be illegal. If you own the game, then it is legal to download the rom. If a game is still be ing sold in retail store and you download it, you can get in trouble if you are tracked which really never happens. I emulate games that are not sold anywhere, games that I would never be able to play otherwise, like Earthbound and EVO the Search for Eden. I'm not sure if this is legal, but I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for emulating old games. I will emulate old games to try them out before I buy them especially if they are expensive.

If emulating a game is going is going to take money from a company I won't do that and I don't think it is right. By emulating a game like Super Mario Galaxy, you are stealing from a corporation.

Emulators are excelent,you can try out games that are really hard to come by if you are trying to buy them

WW IsDa Bombchu

Fez+Bowtie=Time
I think it's fine to use emulators, if it's for an older game. I got both Golden Sun games for the VBA, because my local Gamestop doesn't sell GBA games anymore. Thanks to that, I'll probably shell out some cash for the new DS game. I agree with Blubb, emulators are good for companies, because I got 2 games they don't sell anymore for free, and will buy a new game thanks to it.

SirBeta

Beta is βetter.
I don't usually like emulators because it feels like cheating, but I do play them if I want to check out NES games I don't have but want. I only use legal emulators (at least it says it's legal).

Azkadilia

Transparent Perfection
Emulators are very useful and it helps in case you lose the game or the consul but its stupid that ROMs are illegal it just takes out the whole point. But I have a GameBoy emulator on my phone and play when I have free time at work and school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom