• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Emulations and Roms

How do you guys feel about them? Also about the current crackdown Nintendo is doing to prevent Roms from being distributed even though they aren't distributing it themselves even though people have made it clear they'll purchase them.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Nintendo's just stamping on the heads of a movement that's been around for years and will continue to be around for years. Personally speaking if they aren't willing to put them up on the e-shop for purchase they can't whine about losing revenue.

I'd be more than happy to re-buy most of my games for a newer console, hell i've no doubt many would be happy, better to support the right games than to let them go off and make crapfests become more popular (Battle Royale anyone?)

I'm not a huge fan of emulators and roms mostly because it's a dice roll on if they'll be good or not or virus infected or not, they took down one of the few decent sites that did it safely and with the minimum of issues so kinda just left it open. The kicker here is of course, if they'd left the site alone they could've got someone to monitor traffic and see where it was coming from, instead they just nuked it.

{Edit} Just an edit, DO NOT MENTION NAMES OR SPECIFIC DETAILS here or anywhere on this site, staff have asked before for it not to be done.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I agree with MBS. If a game is currently available from the company itself, then I'll buy it. But we all know the used games industry is terrible, and I don't know how many of them I want to support. Whenever I try to buy an older game, it usually ends up being a fake. And since the companies won't release it, people can easily sell the game for exorbiant prices online. It isn't worth it and it doesn't actually support the gaming industry.
Also, sometimes I emulate games I already own on the go. I have Zelda 1 for the NES AND Gamecube, but if I want to play it while on campus, or a modded form (usually a randomizer), I have to emulate. But those are games I do own physical copies of, so there's no reason to keep me from emulating it in those cases.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Gotta say (just tagging on from Deku) Randomizers seem to be revitalizing some of the older games now, which to me if bloody good because it tests whether you're adaptable and knowledgable about the game.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Personally I like the idea of emulators and roms. Nintendo brought this issue on themselves. They're not longer willing to provide a product that is in pretty high demand, so people are going to turn elsewhere. It's like if your favorite restaurant stopped selling lemonade, and then when another nearby restaurant starts selling it, they burn it to the ground

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I've historically been opposed to rom sites. I believe that if you can purchase a game legally, you should do so in order to profit the company that made the game.

That said, there are certain more obscure games that likely won't ever be rereleased or licensed games that are a nightmare to acquire the copyright for, so I think roms have an important role in preserving those types of games.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I've historically been opposed to rom sites. I believe that if you can purchase a game legally, you should do so in order to profit the company that made the game.

That said, there are certain more obscure games that likely won't ever be rereleased or licensed games that are a nightmare to acquire the copyright for, so I think roms have an important role in preserving those types of games.

What about in terms of older games and consoles, such as the GameBoy Color and the original Link's Awakening? I've seen both of those being sold by third parties for a far larger price than the original cost.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
What about in terms of older games and consoles, such as the GameBoy Color and the original Link's Awakening? I've seen both of those being sold by third parties for a far larger price than the original cost.
Admittedly, Link's Awakening is available on the 3DS e-shop. The company is still selling it themselves.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I was mostly using them as an example cuz i couldn't think of a zelda game not on e-shop ^^.
That's because Zelda games are consistently being sold. If you're going to use the argument for a game the company isn't selling any more, you'll need to go elsewhere.
Like, say, Melee

EDIT: The Satellaview games are a great Zelda example.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
That's because Zelda games are consistently being sold. If you're going to use the argument for a game the company isn't selling any more, you'll need to go elsewhere.
Like, say, Melee

EDIT: The Satellaview games are a great Zelda example.

you've just gone off point there i think, i was asking you about consoles and games that are no longer in production (using a really bad example i gotta admit) and being sold for ridiculous prices by a third party and not the company (should've specificed that from my end)if emulators/roms are a valid thing.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
you've just gone off point there i think, i was asking you about consoles and games that are no longer in production (using a really bad example i gotta admit) and being sold for ridiculous prices by a third party and not the company (should've specificed that from my end)if emulators/roms are a valid thing.
Admittedly a little bit yeah. But your example really didn't fit the hypothetical you were giving, so I was just trying to give a more fitting one. Though everything about that is true for LA except for the not sold by the company part.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Admittedly a little bit yeah. But your example really didn't fit the hypothetical you were giving, so I was just trying to give a more fitting one. Though everything about that is true for LA except for the not sold by the company part.

That's twice you've dodged the question, do you think it's alright to use emulators/roms if the company itself is no longer providing it and the only sources left are outrageously priced third party buys?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
That's twice you've dodged the question, do you think it's alright to use emulators/roms if the company itself is no longer providing it and the only sources left are outrageously priced third party buys?
In my first post I literally said its fine. That's the main reason I use emulators. I didn't realize the question was directed at me because I answered it there and ALIT posted between you and me.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
In my first post I literally said its fine. That's the main reason I use emulators. I didn't realize the question was directed at me because I answered it there and ALIT posted between you and me.

Oh goddamit i got arguing with you and derped it, crap sorry man ^^. for real i just derped......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom