• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Emotional interactions in the Zelda series

Zelda as a whole may not be a very well written series but there have been moments over the last 30+ years that have been deep and meaningful to me within the games that struck a chord between characters.

Majora's Mask has a lot of poignant moments that resonate with a lot of people.

Are there any in-game interactions in Zelda that have connected with you in a meaningful way?

Quin

Disaster Master
Most if not all of Links Awakening probably. Helps that it was my first zelda and I grew up with it too, but the story itself is also pretty great.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Midna’s farewell :kawaii:

Oh I agree. Very powerful.

____

I alway get strangely moved by Mila's story in The Wind Waker. When you sneak up on her while she tries to break into the safe. And she tells you her story. I like the whole subplot of her and Maggie a lot.

Another interaction I come to think of is the Kafei and Anju side quest in MM.

Then we have the end of OoT, the most emotional thing in the series for me. So incredibly cathartic and tragic at the same time. Link gets sent back to his own time, knowing that he had saved an entire timeline, but is doomed to return to his own, while being messed up by having to unwillingly grow up so fast.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
Oh I agree. Very powerful.

____

I alway get strangely moved by Mila's story in The Wind Waker. When you sneak up on her while she tries to break into the safe. And she tells you her story. I like the whole subplot of her and Maggie a lot.

Another interaction I come to think of is the Kafei and Anju side quest in MM.

Then we have the end of OoT, the most emotional thing in the series for me. So incredibly cathartic and tragic at the same time. Link gets sent back to his own time, knowing that he had saved an entire timeline, but is doomed to return to his own, while being messed up by having to unwillingly grow up so fast.
End of OoT is another great one!

Ganondorf's speech at the end of the Wind Waker and then Daphnes's follow-up speech to that before the credits roll were to a good emotional effect for me. It took me way too long to understand what Daphnes meant by living bound to Hyrule, and to recognize that it was not a literal statement. The two speeches sort of run parallel to each other and express their different responses to a loss, which I find incredibly impactful.

Also, as much as I dislike Princess Zelda in Breath of the Wild, that despair memory cutscene was structured incredibly well considering. The tone of the cutscene is enhanced by its environment and animation; Zelda as a character felt incredibly fake in BotW but her body language as she hopelessly threw her head into Link's lap in that scene felt pretty real and it was pretty bone-chilling. If she had a good voice actor, the scene would have been perfect. Probably the only moment in Breath of the Wild where I actually felt something akin to sorrow for the fate of Hyrule in regards to the Calamity.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
a lot of things involving skull kid, the cutscene of him meeting tatl and tale goes w/o saying, but most of all for me is the final scene of that game that shows a drawing of link and him on a tree stump w/ saria's tune playing

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
How can this not be the most emotional interaction? I believe it is so powerful simply because we have no control over it.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There are so many. A few that stand out for me are:
OoT: When Saria knows Link has to leave the forest and she stands there with the sad look on her face but she also knows that it's his destiny to leave.
WW: When Medli tells Link to take her to the Earth Temple and looks up to the sky and she sees Komali. You can see the pain and sadness in her eyes when she knows she has to leave him behind.
TP: The moment when Ralis knows his mother passed away. He feels like a failure. That whole scene with Rutela is very emotional but for the young Prince to realize his mom's no longer there to guide him is very painful.

But to me the most emotional interaction is in LA when the little pink ghost follows you and asks you to take him to his house. When he enters his house he is filled with memories and even break down and cries. We don't know how long he's been gone but it's very sad and emotional to know you won't ever coming back. In the story I wish there was a way to bring that little sweetie pie back to life

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Majora's Mask is literally an emotional interaction all on it's the entire game is a masterclass on it aside from that.

Midna's Lament section of TP and Midna's Farewell
OOT Link freeing Epona and being sent back in Time by Zelda
Marin in LA and her desire to fly free of Koholint and the Windfishes Awakening

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
What Ultimatium said...

Pamela and Pamela's Dad hugging in Majora's Mask... as well as Anju falling to her knees and hugging Kafei. Both are quite emotional.

As a child... I use to get a bit saddened during the End Credits of A Link to the Past. Would bring a tear to my eye. Also when the Flute Boy in the Dark World turns into a tree.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
In SS when you finally catch up to Zelda and you say "Am I late?" and Impa replies "...No, you're right on time." I (as Link) had always felt inadequate until then, and that moment served to validate my entire journey.

In TP when Colin learns about inner strength. He had always looked up to Link, but in that moment he stopped searching for strength externally and started really introspecting and focusing on his own potential and what he can make of himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom