• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Help Embarrassed to Buy a Pokemon Game

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd only be embarrassed to buy new Pokemon...but I still buy Mario, Kirby, and Zelda in public.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I really like that comic, i think its funny

Should i get soul silver or heart gold, or wait for x and y

I personally purchased Soul Silver, but this decision is ultimately up to you. Both games are great, in my opinion. You could wait for X & Y, but I do believe that SS and HG both offer a great gaming experience. I'm sure you'll be satisfied whichever way you go. :)

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Bro, here's the deal. I'm 17 and I still play pokemon. A lot of my friends do too. We all enjoy it cause it's nostalgic and fun and has a good game basis behind it with enough replay value to want to go back and try it again and again. Just today I got a text from one of my best friends at school saying that he was playing Red Version and I was like, "Dude you're so lucky you still have your copy!" I have a friend who graduated last year and he's in college where one of his clubs is a pokemon league. Trust me, it's really cool.

As for buying it, who gives a **** what you buy? Do you know the people working there? And if so, you think they really care? They want money, plain and simple. So long as you buy they'll say, "Nice purchase." I still buy pokemon from my local Gamestop and the guy who works there knows me as a regular and someone who appreciates a good game in general, regardless of what it is. If you truly love it, don't let it go. Embrace your enjoyment of it and buy the games if you like them.

In summary, embrace it and enjoy it. Trust me, it's not as big a deal as you think it is :D

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Wow....

I know how you feel though. But **** it. Regardless what others think, I'm still gonna watch what I want, play what I want, and get what I want. Screw what others think or say. Hell, I watch Digimon every now and then and Naruto. I play Pokemon and ****.

Screw others.

Bro, here's the deal. I'm 17 and I still play pokemon. A lot of my friends do too. We all enjoy it cause it's nostalgic and fun and has a good game basis behind it with enough replay value to want to go back and try it again and again. Just today I got a text from one of my best friends at school saying that he was playing Red Version and I was like, "Dude you're so lucky you still have your copy!" I have a friend who graduated last year and he's in college where one of his clubs is a pokemon league. Trust me, it's really cool.

As for buying it, who gives a **** what you buy? Do you know the people working there? And if so, you think they really care? They want money, plain and simple. So long as you buy they'll say, "Nice purchase." I still buy pokemon from my local Gamestop and the guy who works there knows me as a regular and someone who appreciates a good game in general, regardless of what it is. If you truly love it, don't let it go. Embrace your enjoyment of it and buy the games if you like them.

In summary, embrace it and enjoy it. Trust me, it's not as big a deal as you think it is :D

Lol, me and a friend are playing gen 1-5 to commerate the release of X/Y soon. We're going to complete the Pokedex of each game. So now I'm playing Red and he's playing Blue.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Hey, it's what we (well, I) live for. Gotta help people out; and like we've been saying, you should never feel held up because you like a game that people will make fun of you for. You're 17, probably about to get into college. College kids will not make fun of you for playing PKMN; I know several college students who play the series, even!

True, lots of Collegiates are hipsters. That includes playing Pokemon.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I once got told off by a clerk in EB games for saying I didn't follow Pokemon. "I don't like RPGs", I said. He followed with "Dude, what you just said is a slap to the face. Pokemon is one of the greatest gaming franchises", or something along those lines. This was a guy in his mid-twenties telling me off for not playing Pokemon. No, he did not have the appearance of a nerd or dork, but of an average joe. I'll think you'll do just fine...

Dan

Okay here's the low down, it seems many people have just given you the optimistic approach but I'm going to tell you the truth.
Yes you ARE going to be judged, not by everyone but some. Depending on who you hang around with you may even be ridiculed for it, but I feel that if that's the case you don't hang around with the right people. For a society that's apparently so acceptant of others we certainly don't behave that way. Regardless that others play Pokemon at ages of 17+ you're still going against social norms, and this is a big no no for single minded people. If you can deal with that pathetic stigma that comes with enjoying something because you don't have a herd like mind then by all means go for it, but if not then don't bother and work on building up the courage to not give a damn what others think first. Oh and you can always buy it online, that's what I do. ;p

Good luck amigo.

Mido

Version 1
People of ages play Pokemon. There's no reason to be embarrassed about buying a Pokemon game.

Maybe it's because we grew up with the series but the guys and I regularly play competitive Pokemon at school. I'd go so far as to say it's a cultural symbol.

Getting off topic a little here, but speaking of cultural symbols, even my AP text had something about Pokémon being such a huge impact on cultural globalization!

Going back to the situation at hand, everyone else summed it up well. Play what you play! :D

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
In total agreement with Dan. Many people will judge and perhaps scorn you for it, but the vast majority of those (excluding family members, obviously) are troglodytes not worth your regard. Once you can get that in your head, that should give you the thick skin needed to get through having hobbies such as this, and really life in general.

Oh, and as consolation, my older brother he has a degree in mechanical & aerospace engineering. Now he has a high-profile job with the government that I don't even know the slightest detail about. He's one of the most successful people I know, and he still plays Pokemon.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Hey, don't be embarrassed, play whatever you want! :) I know a lot of older people who still play games like Pokemon, including me! It's stupid when people judge, but don't let that bother you! If it's something you like and enjoy, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom