• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Electricity?

Kazumi

chagy
I was kind of shocked when I was playing not to long ago, and I went to see the Anouki(Spelling?) that I had taken to Goron Village. He was saying that it was really hot, but he was happy about it because all of the other Anouki complained about their electricity bill (obviously for heating), and now he doesn't have to pay one. Wait. What? Did he just say ELECTRICITY? Yes. Yes he did. It was kind of interesting. That means that New Hyrule is far more advanced then I thought. And the fact that they are using it for heating, I mean.. When did they even invent this in the real word? Early-Mid 20th Century? I should look it up.

But anyway, what do you think about this? Is it really a huge advancement, or is it just a little joke that the developers never thought about to much? Either way, discuss.

Last edited:

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
H-holy cow, I just did this the other day, and it never registered in my mind what he actually said o___O Hahah, electricity bills. How do they know that word anyway?
But rofl, I think it's just a little joke stuck in there by the developers to see if anyone would spot it, but it could also be something more. Hahah, I must tell my brother of this though xD

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Having not played Spirit Tracks... this topic caught my eye from the main page.

It looks like it's a little joke. Plus, as mentioned, OoT and MM have neon-ish signs (could be attributible to magic)...

I wouldn't say that it means their technology is high, though. There's a common trope in fiction that's listed on the TV Tropes Wiki as "Schitzo Tech" - that is, you have a world where you think all the technology should be at a certain level, then weird, wild card stuff thrown in. The Zelda series is full of that - a medieval-Europe/Ancient style world with the odd bit of modernity here (and even some outright futuristic stuff, if you think about it) here and there.

One of my original novels is like this: I gave the world I wrote limited use of electricity (mainly for lighting) - it's rather unreliable except in the big cities... yet no one in my world has ever heard of a gun.

octorok74

TETTAC
Kazumi you beat me to this. Yeah, I found this extremely wierd. At first I thought he had misspoken, but he was serious. If are so accustomed to the cold, then why complain about an electricity bill.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well it seems most likely to be a joke but, having not played the game like most of you (lucky people) I'm not sure either way.

However I think they could easily generate electricity with the use of magic or simply be much more advanced than they seem. The steam engine (SS Linebeck/Spirit Train) is 1800s tech and really mideval civilizations (like Hyrule) couldn't concieve something like that. They'd be shocked most likely upon hearing of something like it.

And in OoT and MM there are hints of advanced tech (bombchus, lights, plumbing, the freaking HOOKSHOT, etc.) but it may be possible that they did all that with the use of magic. That was hundreds of years before ST so pretty much they would've refined it to use for heating.

But my real question isn't the electricity but why an Anooki would complain about heat in a goron place when he had experienced heat in his home in an anooki place all along.

Like aforementioned, odd bits of technology here and there aren't very rare in Zelda. With cameras and oddly self-powered lights around, electric heating devices aren't very surprising. Although, it must be a very advanced device, seeing as it's not visible in the Anouki houses. Unless it's disguised as a table :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom