• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Eldin: The Neglected Region

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Hello everyone. It's been a long time since I've created a thread, particularly a Zelda one, so I apologise if this has been done before and/or this is phrased badly.

Anyway. I was watching some Let's Plays of Skyward Sword and an unerring theme both in the commentary of those doing said LPs and the comments, and also what I found in my own experience, is that it doesn't feel as if you spend much time exploring the Eldin region in comparison to Faron and Lanayru.
I don't know if this is technically true if you were to note exact gameplay minutes or anything, but I think you'd find it true looking at both the main plot and sidequests throughout the game. I personally felt like I spent sooooo much time in Lanayru, both because it just felt a lot bigger and because the game seems to bring you back there so often for whatever reason. I also felt like Faron took up a lot more time, what with the Kikwi sidequest, the general size of the area and number of moblins you come across and fight, the Skyview Temple, helping the Water Dragon, Ancient Cistern, and so on and so forth. It just seems like you spend a lot of time doing various different things there, and the same with Lanayru. However, although Eldin was also large, I didn't feel like you spent a whole lot of time exploring it. You seem to only really do parts of the mainquest there, barring finding various objects.

Personally, I liked the missions set out there like getting back your items, and thought the area was very atmospheric, which makes a change because I usually dislike fire areas. However, I definitely felt like they could have done more with it.

So what are your feelings? Would you use Eldin more if you could? And do you have any ideas how you would do that?

D

Deleted member 14134

How about take that extra time from the other two regions and make a few more regions? That way you wouldn't have to visit the same areas over and over.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
How about take that extra time from the other two regions and make a few more regions? That way you wouldn't have to visit the same areas over and over.
Honestly this. Skyward Sword did too much of lingering around in the same area and retracing your steps rather than creating entirely new regions with diversity to their counterparts. You have to revisit each area 3 times and we're not just talking about the a little trip to advance the quest, you have to revisit that area to access a new area and then complete that area again but slightly altered.

Even though each visit was a bit different, you know your in the same area and you get that sense of familiarity rather than that sense of discovery and curiosity that comes with a new region.

---

Anyway, about Eldin, I honestly think it was the way the area was designed. Lanayru and Faron were compact but the exploration was more open and nonlinear, while Eldin was designed as a path of sorts. I guess this design choice was made due to the landscape, I mean you're traversing up a volcano, so it's bound to be one linear path. I'm actually glad we didn't get to spend more time here; I'm not fond of fire themed landscapes in the series.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Honestly this. Skyward Sword did too much of lingering around in the same area and retracing your steps rather than creating entirely new regions with diversity to their counterparts. You have to revisit each area 3 times and we're not just talking about the a little trip to advance the quest, you have to revisit that area to access a new area and then complete that area again but slightly altered.

Even though each visit was a bit different, you know your in the same area and you get that sense of familiarity rather than that sense of discovery and curiosity that comes with a new region.

I must agree with his agreement.

A youtuber I watch stated that because of how different Lanayru is from the other two areas, they're convinced the three areas may have been developed separately from each other and I can definitely see that. I believe the other two seem to get more time than Eldin for a couple of reasons.

1. Faron and Lanayru both introduced new mechanics during their second run, not just new areas. You had to find new places while learning how to swim and sail. Eldin simply gave you fire proof which meant keep doing what you were doing but in hotter places.

2. Lanayru is the most fleshed out area of the game, requiring the player to slow down and understand the new concepts it constantly brings up.

3. Faron is the location of the sealed temple which is the centerfold for a good chunk of the story. The cutscenes alone will make a player stay in Faron much longer. Lost Zelda? Faron. Found Zelda? Go back to Faron. Got the flame in your sword? Get your butt back to Faron. Want to visit Zelda? She's in Faron, BUT IN THE PAST! Where's Groose? Oh he's in Faron. The Imprisoned? Faron too, buddy. Time to wake Zelda up! She's been in Faron the whole time! Ghirahim takes Zelda back in time to... Faron. The game even ends in Faron!
Faron is a key place for plot points thanks to the sealed temple.

Hmm... now that I think about it, I want a final boss battle at the resting place of the Master Sword. That would be epic.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Eldin province was just too small, and that's what killed the overall province, you felt trapped as you played through. Honestly such areas would benefit if they were opened up more. So yes Eldin province was sort of neglected, more time could have been put towards making it interesting.

---

Anyway, about Eldin, I honestly think it was the way the area was designed. Lanayru and Faron were compact but the exploration was more open and nonlinear, while Eldin was designed as a path of sorts. I guess this design choice was made due to the landscape, I mean you're traversing up a volcano, so it's bound to be one linear path. I'm actually glad we didn't get to spend more time here; I'm not fond of fire themed landscapes in the series.

I feel the same way about fire levels and such. Plus, the region made up for that by having an annoying layout and the most frustrating Silent Realm trial, it also had one of the better dungeons in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom