• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Edge Review Out Today!

@mortekill I have no idea what you're talking about.

People are overreacting over the difficulty thing, listening to the podcast, he said it was easy for him because he was naturally good at Zelda. He said the game was tricky.

Even the guy that had an easy time with it said it was tricky, which sounds pretty good to me. I've been reiterating this point for reasons. I hope people see it and come to realize that the game will hold its own set of challenges and fun for everyone.

Vibed

must read before he posts
Hey, GamePro Germany gave Skyward Sword a 93% and criticized it for no over-world, no voice acting, aliasing (inherent to Wii games), and bad textures.

Full scores:
Batman: Arkham City – 95%
Uncharted 3 – 94%
Forza Motorsport 4 – 93%
NBA 2K12 – 93%
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – 93%
Super Mario 3D Land – 92%
WWE ’12 – 90%
Sonic Generations – 87%
Crysis – 86%
RAGE – 84%
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One – 78%
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar – 77%
Spider-Man: Edge of Time – 68%
X-Men: Destiny – 54%

Obviously, that's some pretty stupid reasoning if you go by Wii standards, but I can't help but feel like I should laugh at the fact that some people (and a certain someone in particular) will get furious over this.

Nobody should really worry though, German GamePro is apparently utter crap.

Last edited:
Since when was a 9 bad? In fact, a nine is pretty fantastic!

I like that, because normally it's the other way around; some reviewers gave Twilight Princess only a 9, because of "no voiceacting" + "no good graphics", while giving high graphic shootergames high scores, while these games are not so good at all, based on the gameplay aspect and the story aspect. Now, EDGE give SS a 10, while Uncharted 3 a 9, so that's a remarkable exception.
You will see that IGN, who just released their video review in which the guy almost orgasmed while he was giving the game perfect 10 because of the visuals solely, will give SS just a 9, because of things like "no voiceacting" + "No good graphics", just like they did with Twilight Princess (If they would have said awkward plot-twist + too easy, they would have had a point, but they didn't).

Hey, GamePro Germany gave Skyward Sword a 93% and criticized it for no over-world, no voice acting, aliasing (inherent to Wii games), and bad textures.

Full scores:
Batman: Arkham City – 95%
Uncharted 3 – 94%
Forza Motorsport 4 – 93%
NBA 2K12 – 93%
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword – 93%
Super Mario 3D Land – 92%
WWE ’12 – 90%
Sonic Generations – 87%
Crysis – 86%
RAGE – 84%
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One – 78%
Harvest Moon: Grand Bazaar – 77%
Spider-Man: Edge of Time – 68%
X-Men: Destiny – 54%

Obviously, that's some pretty stupid reasoning if you go by Wii standards, but I can't help but feel like I should laugh at the fact that some people (and a certain someone in particular) will get furious over this.

Nobody should really worry though, German GamePro is apparently utter crap.

Aha! That's what I mean! A reviewer giving SS just a 9.3 because of "no voice acting" + "no good graphics". We will have a lot of those coming so be prepared.
Anyway, I like the fact that he didn't criticise the game for things like "bad dungeon design" or "awkward plot change", however I doubt a reviewer complaining about graphics and voice acting would actually be able to recognise bad dungeon design or bad plot changes.....

I like that, because normally it's the other way around; some reviewers gave Twilight Princess only a 9, because of "no voiceacting" + "no good graphics", while giving high graphic shootergames high scores, while these games are not so good at all, based on the gameplay aspect and the story aspect. Now, EDGE give SS a 10, while Uncharted 3 a 9, so that's a remarkable exception.
You will see that IGN, who just released their video review in which the guy almost orgasmed while he was giving the game perfect 10 because of the visuals solely, will give SS just a 9, because of things like "no voiceacting" + "No good graphics", just like they did with Twilight Princess (If they would have said awkward plot-twist + too easy, they would have had a point, but they didn't).

Aha! That's what I mean! A reviewer giving SS just a 9.3 because of "no voice acting" + "no good graphics". We will have a lot of those coming so be prepared.
Anyway, I like the fact that he didn't criticise the game for things like "bad dungeon design" or "awkward plot change", however I doubt a reviewer complaining about graphics and voice acting would actually be able to recognise bad dungeon design or bad plot changes.....

Uncharted 3 really didn't deserve a 10 from IGN. Most reviewers have been complaining that it's not as revolutionary as Among Thieves and since Drake's deception adds no substantial new features I am of the same opinion.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer

A bit more, saw this on IGN: (It looks like they were referring to Overworld map rather than overworld)

solitanze on IGN said:
Pros
epic Story
a lot of Innovation
user friendly menu
superb control
huge content
Zelda flair

Cons
Aliasing, low detailed textures
Samples instead of voices (regarding voice acting)
No overworld map

Basically, it could've scored higher if it was a high definition game on another system it seems.

[Thread]

Their cons list looks rather nitpicked in my opinion, but I suppose we should expect some reviews like this. I wouldn't let this type of review sway opinions of the game, personally.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
A bit more, saw this on IGN: (It looks like they were referring to Overworld map rather than overworld)

[Thread]

Their cons list looks rather nitpicked in my opinion, but I suppose we should expect some reviews like this. I wouldn't let this type of review sway opinions of the game, personally.

Damn! This is pretty much a "Amazing game, great gameplay, epic story, not HD, 8/10 (that might be a little much.) We don't need advanced graphics! I am kind of sad that there will be an HD Nintendo console, for we will be leaving the age of inosence we've been living in for 5 wonderful years, we didn't graphics, just epicness...

Damn! This is pretty much a "Amazing game, great gameplay, epic story, not HD, 8/10 (that might be a little much.) We don't need advanced graphics! I am kind of sad that there will be an HD Nintendo console, for we will be leaving the age of inosence we've been living in for 5 wonderful years, we didn't graphics, just epicness...

I couldn't have said it better myself... It almost makes me sad at times. Zelda was THE revolutionary game of the world that made gaming what it is today. Too bad it never gets the respect or attention it deserves, present company Dungeoneers the exception. I refer to the entire gaming community that doesn't even know Zelda exists...

After five minutes of playing you don't even notice the graphics anymore :P
What are these kids whining about...? Anyway, if the only con they could find where the graphics and the sound, that means SS will be incredibly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom