• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

EDGE Gives Skyward Sword a 10/10!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Highest rated doesn't always equal the best game, that's why GOTY award is shaky in that respect.

That's good, for SS. 10/10 I believe it deserves, though I haven't played it myself.

The gaming world isn't blind, they simply favor things you yourself do not. Don't call them idiots because your favorite game didn't win GOTY. Don't hate them because your favorite game has a 99/100 average whereas X game has garnered a 100/100 based solely on its graphics. If you know so and so is biased in favor of graphics, give them graphics and see where you go.

Yes the gaming world IS blind.

The game with the avarage highest score of the year should win, simply because it is the best of the year, based on a lot of reviewers.

If this way of determining GOTY is not the way it is actually done; the gaming world is blind. I'm not going to take that back, I'm going to repeat it instead; the gaming world is blind and the people who decide GOTY are clowns.

Vibed

must read before he posts
Yes the gaming world IS blind.

The game with the avarage highest score of the year should win, simply because it is the best of the year, based on a lot of reviewers.

If this way of determining GOTY is not the way it is actually done; the gaming world is blind. I'm not going to take that back, I'm going to repeat it instead; the gaming world is blind and the people who decide GOTY are clowns.
You have to realize the gaming press isn't made up of reviews alone. There are many people who each have a say in which one is the best. You said that it's the best in the minds of a lot of reviewers, but obviously not a majority of reviewers. Just cause said reviewers praised a game doesn't mean their whole staff thinks that way.

If you call the people who decide GOTY clowns, you are calling the very same people who reviewed the game with the highest average clowns.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Pre-launch reviews mean very little to me, Until the game is out I will not put my entire trust into a pre-launch review.
I remember people giving Black Ops 10/10 and he ype being humongous.. Then the game turned out to be the most boring VoD to date. :/

I suspect SS will still not become GOTY.

Mario Galaxy 2 received the highest avarage score of all games in 2010. It is even on number 2 on the Best of all Time list on gamerankings.com , based on a lot of reviews.
But still Red Dead Redemption won the award. How is this possible?
Simple: because most game reviewers and people who decide who wins such an award are idiots who don't know how to recognise a good game. Its true. Most of them are just graphic junkies. I can already see some of the SS reviews to come when the game is out.

Score: 9/10
cons: no good graphics, no voice acting, no blood.

While gamedevelopers like the ones from Call of Duty, receive rewards, while they are just re-releasing the same shooter game every year only then with enhanced graphics and some new options. The gaming world is generally a blind one.

GOTY has never been won by actual good gameplay, face it.

Every site has its own GOTY. Are you referring to the one on Spike TV?

So,based only in score, TP was the definite 2006 GotY then (well, it received most proper GotY awards as well...), so did TWW (triumphing in score over the great GTA:VC), SS have good chances now too.

Too me it seems like it's better than Batman AC in every aspect (except Graphics-technically and celebrity voice-acting, lol) and I'm not being disrespectful. Batman AC is the game i'm looking most to play this year, after SS (of course) and Dark Souls. So it would not be a surprise or overrating to receive similar or better reviews (~95%).

Plus, for some when a Nintendo main game goes gold on the media, these things are useless. But if not win... they we all point and say that the franchise is in decadency, that in the past would win every award and blahblahblah.... well, we all now EXACTLY how it works, right?

Last edited:
You have to realize the gaming press isn't made up of reviews alone. There are many people who each have a say in which one is the best. You said that it's the best in the minds of a lot of reviewers, but obviously not a majority of reviewers. Just cause said reviewers praised a game doesn't mean their whole staff thinks that way.

If you call the people who decide GOTY clowns, you are calling the very same people who reviewed the game with the highest average clowns.

No you still don't get it....
Game of the year should be, assuming the GOTY people are objective and really take all games from that year into account, taking an avarage of all reviews of those games from that year. The game with the highest avarage is objectively speaking the best and, thus, should get the title Game of The Year. In practice, this is not the case and therefore the people who decide GOTY are desulional clowns.
Appart from that I'm stating that a lot of reviewers are idiots. All scores for SS until now have been very good. Ofcourse we can't say if these scores are justified, because we haven't played the game yet, but let's assume the game shouls really be scores within the range of, let's say, 9.7 - 10.0. What you will see is that some reviewers will give the game a 9, for reasons such as 'no voice acting', 'no HD graphics', etc.
Ofcourse when the newest WW2-Shooter-the-same-as-the-one-from-last-month-only-then-with-better-HD-and-more-blood will come out the same reviewer will be like "omg hihihihi so cool, this game deserves a 10+ hihihihihihihihi". Reviewers like that really do exist, and to make things worse, will sometimes be from highly respected review websites. Reviewers like this are idiots.

Summary of text (read only if you are below the age of 16): GOTY deciders are clowns, for not being objective and some reviewers are idiots for being blind.

So, Vibed, if you still don't get it, please re-reads this text, or wait untill you are a few years older.

In my experience... everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is a critic. The fact that people get paid to say yay or nay actually irritates me to a degree. I've seen some movies that were really well put together, they had a great story, at least decent special effects, and characters that were relatable and realistic get really terrible reviews by so called "professional" critics. A critic/reviewer is someone that gets paid for their opinion regardless of what it is. I don't like that fact and never listen to a reviewer/critic. I am entitled to my own likes, beliefs, dislikes, and preferences. Just cause some "professional" says so and so doesn't make me even blink or react in the least. We are all professional critics due to our unique likes and beliefs and opinions so never listen to what someone else says about something you're unsure of. Just trust your gut and play it. :)

Every site has its own GOTY. Are you referring to the one on Spike TV?

I don't know which one it was. Almost all of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

You can see a lot of different GOTY titles from past year. You can see that none of them really care about avarage scores of games and really make well argumented decisions. Even Little Big Planet is on the list a few times; can you imagine that? Sony's wannabe Mario game, that failed hard in comparison to the Mario games it wanted to copy, became Game of The Year. That should be illegal... And ofcourse you will see a lot of 'standard shooter game with good visuals'-games on the list.

Vibed

must read before he posts
No you still don't get it....
Or maybe, what a shocker, some would rate it a 9 (which is by no means bad) because they just plain feel it deserves that score?

Look, I realize many reviewers can be like that, but you're generalizing an entire industry. You're just as bad as those people who say things like this are 'too kiddy.'

And what is this about objectivity? You make no sense, reviews are completely subjective, period. If you read my post, then you should know there is more than just one reviewer on each site. They each have their own opinion, and if you can't accept that and call them idiots for liking something you don't like, then I see no reason to continue this dissussion. Who cares what GOTY is? As Crash said, trust your own opinion.

Skyward Sword will be great, probably a 10/10 in my eyes, but I will admit I am biased and would pick Zelda over anything automatically.

Oh yes, and please don't look down upon me because I'm the age I am, thanks. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom