• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Earthquake Hit the U.S East Coast

CrazyforCuckoos

Purveyor of Cuckoos
Yesterday an earthquake hit the U.S East Coast. This is extremely rare for the East Coast.
I live in Maryland, and I was in my colleges and the building started shaking. The epicenter was in Central Virginia in a town called Mineral.

What are your thoughts about this? Did you feel anything?

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
i live in southern OH and we felt it. i was in my room playing pokemon snap (^_^) then the earthquake hit (D:). the cats didn't seem to notice much though, i checked on them after it happened and they were still doing cat things on the porch.

You know what I think about it? I think it's funny that the entire east coast and media are going super crazy like it's the end of the world about something that happens in California, Alaska, and many other countries every month.

I think the sarcasm of the bottom-left picture in my signature sums it up pretty well.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
You know what I think about it? I think it's funny that the entire east coast and media are going super crazy like it's the end of the world about something that happens in California, Alaska, and many other countries every month.

I think it's due to how the east coast has never experienced an earthquake this big (I heard it had a 5.9 magnitude). Of course, I can't speak on the media's behalf, but it's very rare to experience an earthquake at this level in the east coast.

That aside, I live in Pennsylvania, so my whole house shaking. It was kind of cool, but I was worried about my family and friends that live in the east coast. Of course, the phone lines were jammed, so it took a while before we could get through, but I'm thankful that everyone I know is okay^^

I'm really grateful that no one (that I heard of) died or that anyone got a serious injury due to the earthquake though.

Jedizora

:right:
I do live on the east coast, but a few states down (And now states are a unit of measurement) so It wasn't much here, I actually slept though it.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I felt the earthquake. I love just outside Philadelphia, so it the shaking wasn't too strong. It only lasted a minute or two, but it was a new and unique experience for me. :yes:

Nicole

luke is my wife
I have a friend that lives further up north of New Jersey, she felt it too.

Oh, I wonder who that was... oh right, me. I felt it too, but I didn't know what it was at first. I felt some slight shaking and vibrations, but my house is old, and I originally thought someone was just knocking on my door. I was sitting on my couch at the time, and the couch is right along the wall in which this door is located. So I was a tad freaked out, because I was alone and I thought someone was banging on my door. I looked out the window and expected someone to be there. But there's wasn't anyone there.

Only when I looked back at my computer and saw Beep saying his house was shaking did I put 2 and 2 together and realize we probably just had a little quake. Ironically, I was more nervous thinking there was someone at my door than knowing we just had an earthquake. The interesting thing is that my dogs hardly moved during it. I have one dog who freaks out hours before we get storms, and she hardly budged during the shaking.

Josh said:

I think the sarcasm of the bottom-left picture in my signature sums it up pretty well.

I actually agree. This is what happens when New Yorkers get involved. And I don't mean that as an insult. New York is practically the media capital of the world, so it makes sense that the news would be all over it there.

Does anyone know if there is any actual damage at the epicenter? I haven't seen footage or photos of it. In any case, I hope everyone is alright.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I live in Texas, and I didn't notice the Earthquake at all. I was probably too far West to notice it.

I do think it's very unusual for Earthquakes to occur on the East Coast, and if a more serious one ever occurs there, it could reduce New York and other major cities to rubble, because they're not prepared of Earthquakes the way California and many western states are. That's the main reason people are so worried... not because of THIS quake, but because it might may indicate that a new fault line is becoming active and putting most US major cities at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom