• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Early Start/Early Finish, or Late Start/Late Finish?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Inspired from school discussion in shoutbox, but I guess it applies to work too.

So in regards to school, work, or whatever, would you rather have an early morning start and then finish earlier in the afternoon, or a later start in the morning, for more of a lie-in, but finish later in the day too?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Start late finish early. Tangentially...

live_slow__die_whenever_by_valdevia-d601gvg.png

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Early start, early finish definitely.

When you're in work, days when you start at 12PM feel exactly the same as days when you start earlier at like 7AM or 8AM. Maybe it's because you still have that feeling that you have to get up off your ass and do something. When I'm in late, all I'm doing with my time anyway is just sitting around waiting to go in, so I'd rather go in early and have the rest of the day.

Of course, specific to this thread, what I said above also applies to school.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I fall into the early start/early finish camp. I simply prefer doing things in the morning and leaving afternoons free for whatever I want/need to get done. Because of that, when I was studying, I never scheduled my first class of the day to start later than 10AM at university, my earliest class being at 8:30AM. The later in the day it gets, the less likely I am to give a class my full attention which makes being there a waste of my time.

The only downside to the early/early preference was having to do foreign language exams at 8AM because I tend to absorb information better than I can output it at that time of the morining.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I like starting early and finishing early. Unfortunately, I start work at 9AM and usually get off at 5:30PM, so that doesn't leave me much time to do anything. A good time for me would probably be 7-3, because that leaves a nice chunk of time to enjoy the afternoon (school ended at 3:10, so that's what I'm used to). But alas, I have like an hour maximum, and 9AM is early enough for me to not be able to do much in the morning, so I don't get many chances to do stuff during the day, sadly.

I really like the 7-1530 hours I currently have. I have free evenings that way.

Buuuut...I prefer late start and late finish. Then I feel like I accomplish more.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Late start/late finish absolutely. I am the complete opposite of a morning person and I honestly don't mind staying later in the afternoon if it means I don't have to wake up earlier than 9 AM. It's actually been proven to be much healthier and beneficial for students to start later in the mornings than the current starting times. So I'm a big advocator of that.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Unfortunately my work hours are set for the time being so I can't change them until next year. I work second shift which starts at 2 PM and ends at 10 pm. I'd actually rather have first shift so I can go in earlier, get finished sooner, and then have the rest of the day off. Oh well...

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I don't get much of a choice in my schedule any more, but when I did get to decide, I much preferred to start early, end early. Heck, I volunteered to work 4am-12pm when I had the option to (during holiday season when we needed early visuals and merchandisers to assemble stock and get it on the sales floor) I like mornings, I like waking up before the sun, I like getting my work done early and being able to relax the rest of the afternoon and evening. Mornings are usually pretty slow, too, so I can get a lot of extra work done. When I work late, I'm usually just anxious to get home.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I prefer to start and finish late. This semester my earliest start is 2pm and I finish class at 9pm everyday (for the 3 days that I have classes), I love to sleep in so later is better for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom