• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

E3 Let Down?

Certainly in terms of Zelda, E3 was a big let down for me. Games such as AC3, ZombiU and Batman Arkham City look awesome and I'm really excited for the Wii U, but I can't hellp but think that Nintendo could have done better this year. What do you guys think?

I was definitely pretty disappointed. The only completely new announcement, as far as I'm aware, was Zombie U. While that looks somewhat interesting, pretty much everything else was just expanding a little bit upon what we already new: details about Arkham City on Wii U, a couple other third-party titles, some Pikmin 3 details (which is a game I'm not all that excited for), some Mario details, and release dates for several 3DS games we already knew about. I was going into this looking forward to new announcements, and those were sorely lacking.

Mainly what I was hoping for was a new first party title: preferably Zelda, of course, but since that was extremely unlikely, I really would have liked to see either a new Starfox or Metroid game for the Wii U. I've been hoping Nintendo will make a brand new Starfox game for a while now, and since Metroid: Other M was a bit of a flop (in my opinion, anyways) I would love to see new one that goes in a better direction. I was even expecting one or the other of these to show up, so I'm quite disappointed they didn't.

One final thing I was hoping for was Resident Evil 6 on Wii U. This is a more minor thing, but it's a game I'd really like to have for this console. I was glad when they showed Mass Effect 3, and it got me hoping, but oh well.

Anyways, my expectations for this year's show were certainly not met. Hopefully we get some goodies in the next couple days (localized Fire Emblem: Awakening, anyone?) If some really good new 3DS games are unveiled tomorrow, I will be perfectly willing to forgive Nintendo's lackluster show today.

Absolutely agree. WAY too much 3rd party games, not enough first party games were shown. I was expecting a new Zelda for 3DS and possibly a new Metroid game. I mean Pikmin and Mario are cool and I am excited for those games, BUT 3 MARIO GAMES WERE SHOWN, 4 IF YOU COUNT LUIGI'S MANSION! I do truly love Mario, but why did that have to be only 1st party game (excluding Pikmin) that they talked about today?

The Nintendo presentation certainly could have been better, however, we have to look at things rationally. Things are definitely stacking up better for Wii U than they were for the 3DS before it. The software promise is that at launch-New Super Mario Bros. U, Darksiders II, Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, and more. The hardware is also promising. Even though the console itself may only be a bit more powerful, the controller truly does open up a whole realm of new possibilities. Here is hoping Miiverse is incorporated successfully. In game voice chatting with people who speak the same language as you is also a huge stride forward.

Nintendo is currently experiencing a transition period with the 3DS barely over a year old and the DS slowly being phased out and the Wii U looming over the horizon. The company's efforts today may not have been their best, however, they are worth commending. Last year the only new title we got was Luigi's Mansion 2 with some third party games shown in a Wii U reel. This year we received more third party support in another reel, the confirmation of an already announced Mario and Pikmin game, interesting new products appealing to a balance of gamers-both casual and hardcore-especially on Ubisoft's part, and a lot more. I'm personally very excited for Pikmin 3 and Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition. The first two Pikmin games were some of the most gorgeous and detailed for Gamecube and this third Wii U installment aims to improve. With both Wii U GamePad and Motion Plus support, moreover, everyone can find a comfortable play style. Batman, on the other hand, represents everything I want to see from a third party game utilizing the controller. It truly is the version providing the most immersion with the Bat's full arsenal at your fingertips.

And let's not be all doom and gloom just yet. After all, Nintendo still has a separate 3DS conference tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. Pacific. Sure, the focus will be on already announced games like New Super Mario Bros. 2, Animal Crossing: Jump Out, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate, however, it's certainly alright to be optimistic for one or two new titles both first and third party. Also, expect them to be rather significant titles and not dumb-down casual games since Nintendo-particularly now-is intent on keeping its dominant foothold on the handheld market. It's been two and a half years since the last handheld Zelda, three by year's end, and considering the fact that Phantom Hourglass was released just one year after Twilight Princess, all hope is not lost.

Beeker

Wild Card
As a core Nintendo gamer, I was disappointed with Nintendo's e3 this year. When I heard that they were showing off mainly games, I was quite excited.

Zelda I wasn't disappointed with. I wasn't expecting anything for Wii U, not even a concept or tease. A little more expectant of news on a 3DS Zelda, but not much more than any Wii U info. We already got 3(possibly more) games last year, even if those were remakes and ports. I think we have enough Zelda for now. The same went for Smash Bros. People were expecting and demanding news about it, but development just started, nothing is going to be shown for several months.

I never thought I would say this ever, but there seemed like there was more Mario shown compared to other first party games. Like Gannon said, there were three Mario games shown off, only one of them was one I was really looking forward to(and that was Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion if you could count it as a Mario game). I felt like other first party games were left out. It looked good that there was a huge amount of third party support, it just seemed to overshadow Ninty's own stuff.

My expectations? News on whatever the heck Retro is doing, and a huge shocker type first party game that would hype up the audience. Maybe something like a Starfox or Metroid game. Something that was like Other M a few years back, something no one expected. I guess Nintendo Land could be considered the closest thing to that. But it certainly doesn't seem like the game that would pack a huge amount of hype.

I thought This years E3 was disappointing compared to last year's. There was just too many third party games and less first party games. I wasn't wowed by any of them at all except ZombiU. After seeing this Presentation I can't decided wheiter to get the Wii U on launch or not because of the lack of first party games. The 3DS Conference is on tomorrow and I'm looking forward to that, I just hope they focus on first party games more then third party games.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Apart from Halo 4, Zombie U and Darksiders 2 I was dissapointed. For Nintendo's new console I would really expect some kind of zelda news, an HD remake of a past game would have done me or even an image of one just to tide me over. But no, no Zelda for Wii U and no Zelda for 3DS even. I was sure there would be at least something.

Beeker

Wild Card
It isn't over yet....
True, true. Tomorrow is the 3DS Showcase, correct? And I believe the developer roundtable is sometime today or tomorrow too. I believe that's where we heard about Pikmin 3 first being developed and its move to WiiU. So perhaps we'll hear more soon. Hopefully some great things are in the works, I won't lose hope very easily. =)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
E3 was a complete disaster for reasons stated above. But it isn't all about Nintendo; Sony and Microsoft did pretty poorly as well as far as presentations go. I could careless for Assassin's Creed III, Halo 4, and Nintendo Land. Call of Duty Black Ops 2? Seriously, while it LOOKS cool, it's PROBABLY going to be the same old same old, just like AC3, Halo 4, and so on. Showing of the Wii U was nice, but I didn't hear anything about the pricing which is what I really care about. I'm not sure when Square Enix goes on (I know they save their stuff for TGS but still), but they could've at least put some word in about Final Fantasy Waste of KH3's Time XIII. >_>

I wasn't expecting much stuff regarding Zelda, considering dev times take forever with that series. Those Mario games, I want them already even if they're the same ol' same ol'...it's part of Mario's charm. Everything else was a let down.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I seem to be the only one who thought the presentation was good. It showed off all the wiiu's new tech and hardware which i thought was pretty cool, and the Miiverse (the names bad) looks pretty awesome! They also said that all the 3DS games will be shown off whenever (2am thursday morning for me) so that means there's even more!

The spotlight of E3 was to focused on third party games. I was pretty disappointed myself. They could of at least said something about the new Smash Bros. At least acknowledge that it exist. Nothing will beat the reaction to Twilight Princess trailer at the end of E3 2004. No... They decided to end with *Big Pause,* NINTENDO LAND! *awkward silence.* Not that I think Nintendo Land is bad, it's just that that was a really boring way to end the conference. I was really looking forward to this E3 to. I was expecting way to much, only to be drowned by 3rd party games. At least tonight there will be a 3DS conference which I am definitely watching. It will probably be better than E3 all together. I sure hope so anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom