• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler E3 2011 Discussion Thread

Beeker

Wild Card
I know there's a bunch of other threads about E3, but anyway.
E3 has begun today, with some of the other game companies already finished their keynotes, though Sony and Nintendo have not yet.
This thread is for discussing what was at these events. What announcements did you like or are excited for? Who do you think has done the best?
Discuss!

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Okay cool~ Though I did dedicate a separate E3 topic with specific focus on SS~ ^^

I can't comment on Ubisoft or EA, (though Ubisoft's hasn't started yet actually) but Microsoft did....okay, no better or no worse. They showcased several games that I think caught people's attention such as Mass Effect 3, the new Tomb Raider, Halo Anniversary (and Halo 4 apparently) Ghost Recon, RYSE...there were others too but I'll stop there.

While they emphasized features such as a voice commands, entertainment with live TV and YouTube, finger tracking and object scanning....there was nothing really new to announce. Not that I was really expecting them to announce a new console, but they did play it pretty safe.

And concerning the voice commands, I am not actually sure how much of a good idea that is. Some people might like to play at night while others are sleeping...it would become a pain to have to use voice commands to get anything done.

Now then, they focused a lot on Kinect understandably, and it looks like they're emphasizing support for it in new games. I think they did a fairly good job showcasing some of the demos...while not so great on others. Probably what left me a weak impression with some of them though was the over-exaggerated acting in the "family-friendly" ones. Although, Disneyland Adventures surprised me for being there in the first place....

I think it was decent overall, but not particularly a conference to leave a really lasting impression. I think it'll be between Sony and Nintendo to see who will be making the more impressionable reveals (though I have my bets on Nintendo~! :P)

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Can't get enough Halo! I'm too speechless. This is too amazing.

Gears 3 and Tomb Raider look really good too.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Microsoft started out strong and then just seemed to die out, I could almost picture Nintendo fans just saying, "Who's the kiddy console now?"
The new Tomb Raider game just looks amazing, although not without it's faults. Lara talking to herself a lot seemed like it would get annoying really quickly, and there were a lot of quick time events.

Then again that seems to be the theme of the whole thing right now. Quick time events in games.

Ubisoft. Just. Rayman, my childhood video game, it's so good to see it back. And with Tetris.
As a side note to the colours of the Rayman game, some people are actually complaining that it's too colourful for this gen. Which just seems silly to me. Those colours look amazing.

Sony is probably going to make me want to buy a PS3.
I'm not sure how to feel about Nintendo. It could take advantage of Microsoft's downfall into the 'kiddy' genre, or it could mess up and end up being called worse. Hoping for the former.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
i watched Microsoft's Press Conference on Spike TV, and i must say i wasn't that impressed. I felt like, since Kinect released, nothing new has been as "exciting." I can't wait till tomorrow when Nintendo owns the stage and everyone goes bonkers. :D

hehe...

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I'm not sure how to feel about Nintendo. It could take advantage of Microsoft's downfall into the 'kiddy' genre, or it could mess up and end up being called worse. Hoping for the former.

I believe Nintendo will do neither; regardless of what Sony or Microsoft do, they have their own plans. I don't think they're even going to pay any heed to what direction MS took and what direction Sony is going to take--that's not their style.

They'll do their own thing.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I believe Nintendo will do neither; regardless of what Sony or Microsoft do, they have their own plans. I don't think they're even going to pay any heed to what direction MS took and what direction Sony is going to take--that's not their style.

They'll do their own thing.

I didn't necessarily mean that they should plan a way to take advantage of the recent revealing, and the things yet to be revealed.
I meant it more as it, if Nintendo focuses on the "gamer" aspect, Legend of Zelda or even a 'real' kirby game, instead of the "family" aspect, or the new console, then it will likely go over better than if they do the opposite.

Not saying that the new console information wouldn't be nice but several things to really get into a play until then would be nice.

It seemed like Microsoft focused too much on Kinect and those games. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Kinect is an astonishing piece of hardware, but it felt like 95% of the conference was Kinect Kinect Kinect. We get it, it's cool! Show me more Halo 4, or Tomb Raider. After all the good games, their conference sorta died, and I got really bored. If this is Microsoft's attempt to capture the casual crowd with Kinect, then they did a fine job, but other than that, the conference was horrible.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
PSVITA for $250-300???? UNBELIEVABLE!!! They are going neck-and-neck with the 3DS!!! I thought it'd be WAY more expensive!!!

Sony's conference overall didn't impress me that much. PSVita was pretty good and the price took me by surprise, but other than that nothing blew me away. Microsoft's showcase on some of their games was better than what Sony showed....the Tomb Raider demo for example, which came off really strong. Sony had Uncharted....but it didn't feel like they had the strongest lineup of games overall.

Nintendo has a good setup...everything will be revealed tomorrow.

Zelda64

The Knight of the Wind
I didn't watch, but I read, and it blew my mind when it said that you would be able to switch from old to new graphics in Halo Anniversary, but I don't know if Microsoft has the technology to do that.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
The acting in Microsoft's show was well, terrible to put it simply xD I hate to see overally enthusiastuc and obviously fake reactions to those sort of things. Turned it off after seeing that over and over.

WOW....the PS Vita. I was completely blown away by what that little thing can do! They showed it off very well, and my mouth dropped when I saw Uncharted. It looked phenomenal. Not only were the visuals on par with the regular Playstation, but the gameplay looked incredible! The touch screen is put to great use, and it looks like Sony may have a winner here that can compete with the DS.

As for the rest of their conference, nothing interested me except Uncharted 3. Meh....I'll wait until tomorrow ;)

Fierce

Deity Link
Microsoft bombed.
pros
Halo 4 (Master Chief's triumphant return)
Tomb raider= LOOKS AMAZING
MINECRAFT FOR XBL!
Decent titles

cons
Nothing too shocking
Halo:CE remastered.... with Reach multiplayer!!! Excellent idea... but reach multiplayer SUCKED, and all fans of the series know this..
Kinect games underwelmed - All on rails....
Waaaaay too much Kinect
The BRO demo of Kinect BRO sports 2 BRO
Double halo (not even a bungee halo) = looking desperate
Where's Rare? Dead I suppose...
Terrible acting and reactions
- Almost too embarrassing to watch...

Sony was mixed, though far better than MS
PROS
Vita priced extremely aggressively, obviously taking hardware cuts and sacrifices to profit on software titles
Vita is greatly improved over the PSP
- No UMDS
- Great sync with ps3
- decent launch titles
- Great features with tilt, front and back touch pad, ps3 like resolution
Move has potential, seems much better than Kinect and on par with Wii Motion+ (Though it still looks like an odd lollipop)
Uncharted 3 and Uncharted for PSP
Infamous 2 and alot of other cool exclusives
Infamous's protagonist is in the new SF x Tek !!
A few new ips

Cons
Vita has 3G... WITH AT AND T, FAILLLLLL
Vita's resolution and framerate took HUGE hits (that price comes at a cost)
Not many release dates for the software
Move Action game rips off Skyward sword... and looks lame
Move controls look wonky for NBA 12... Kobe even failed with it
Not really interesting
Again like Halo... Uncharted x2? Let's let our franchises breath shall we guys?
- Seems like they are milking...
Not alot of variety... fps... yawn
Nothing truly new on Vita
- LBP and MNR look great on the system... but I've played those games to death. Uncharted is the only game that would sell me...
Vita? What the heck are they thinking...? Ah well latin is fine I guess
Nothing truly new on PS3 either...
I know, new IP but its just another FPS...

Ubisoft and EA were great! But I only cover the big guys! I'll give you the scoop on the Big N next. I love Sony, but some of its fanboys are getting a tad to overconfident with this whole "The 3DS is dead!" talk after Vita... I can't wait for Nintendo to steal the show.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
I love Sony, but some of its fanboys are getting a tad to overconfident with this whole "The 3DS is dead!" talk after Vita... I can't wait for Nintendo to steal the show.

Isn't that what they were also saying last gen early on when Nintendo had the DS going against the PSP? :lol: Time will tell....

The PS Vita's specs didn't shock me simply because I'd already heard a lot of the details on it back in January, so it basically just confirmed what I'd been expecting already. The price COMPLETELY took me by surprise though.

Oh and one more thing....

Vita has 3G... WITH AT AND T, FAILLLLLL

Did you HEAR all those BOOS when they mentioned their partnership with AT&T? :cooky: That was a bit ouch though! :P

Fierce

Deity Link
I was one of the guys booing! =P

The whole price thing on the PSV smells of desperation. They're trying to pull their profits to kill the competition like they tried with the PS2 vs. the Dreamcast. (A battle that they won.)

This time the competition is Nintendo however... and they're going to bite off a bit more than they can chew. I hope I don't sound like a giddy fanboy, but I really think they're SCARED of Nintendo. Why else undercharge for their new handheld? Why else blatently copy the Wii with the (widely unpopular) Move? I adore Sony. Always have. But if they're going to cross horns with the oldest and most formidable gaming company out there... They're going to need more than a matching price.

The handheld market... is dominated by children and casual gamers. Hardcore gamers, for the most part, stick to their consoles... This is the key reason the PSP failed and the DS reigned supreme.

Nintendo doesn't even worry about other consoles. The threat they see? Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom