• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dying or Fainting?

What do you call it?

• "Dying"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fainting

• Other

• Total voters

Djinn

and Tonic
Well in most RPGs they try to make a strong difference between downed in a fight and actually dead. Normally dead meant totally out of the game completely. Or else a phoenix down would have brought Aeris and General Leo back after they died in game. Both had little funerals and were never seen again while anyone else in the party could just be brought back in a second with a quickly used item or spell.

Fortunately The Princess Bride was there to teach us the difference, by inventing the concept of Mostly Dead

[video=youtube;X90qKQAMh8A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X90qKQAMh8A[/video]

Also explained in greater detail here

The step in between Non-Lethal K.O. and Final Death.

Game mechanics-wise, there's little difference between Only Mostly Dead and Non-Lethal K.O.. It's the general feel of the plot that is affected. Some writers feel that this cheapens death too much, or complicates Plotline Death, so they don't use this trope. On the other hand, it avoids that problem with Non-Lethal K.O. where characters get blasted with the Giant Demonic Hellfire Explosion of Death...only to fall unconcious.

Since Pokemon is generally a much more lighthearted series I sincerely doubt there are going to be too many character deaths on screen, especially not within regular combat. So I take it at face value that any downed pokemon is mostly dead until they can be healed up again after the fight. Creating a nice game mechanic for taking them out of the fight but not out for good. That might create a much greater challenge in the game to have the pokemon you spent so much time finding, catching, and leveling up only to have it killed in the next fight. Not to mention that it would be incredibly depressing all around. I cannot imagine what PETA would have to say if something like that was a regular mechanic of the series.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
I always call it fainting, having started with Generation III first. Having Pokemon "die" would never make sense to me.

I found it funny, though, watching the first episode of the Pokemon anime... Ash was so freaked out about Pikachu's safety, even though he couldn't have died, but only fainted...

Kybyrian

I actually always refer to it as "killing" their Pokemon or they "killed" my Pokemon. I know they don't literally die, but it's always the terminology I've used unless I'm saying OHKO. "I killed his Gyarados with one fire punch." I say things like this all the time. I don't know why, and I know the difference, but I've always said it like that.

I always say "dying" and "killing" for some reason in those games. I think it's because I played a lot of other video games as a kid and all of them involved killing things (die! die!)... so it just transferred to my Pokémon lingo.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
If I'm not thinking about it, I usually say "I died", but there are two things wrong with that... xD
First of all, I am not the one who did, my pokemon did.
Secondly, They did not "die" xP

Anyway, if I'm referring to my pokemon, I usually will say "Passed out" or "fainted" or simply just say "Lost/lose"

Night Owl

~Momentai
I use "died dying killed" or other such terms just out of habit. I know it fainted but I'm just used to other video games.

Of course, I use creamed quite a bit as well. Used similar to pwned.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I know they aren't actually dying, but I always say die or kill…*Not because I get annoyed with the game very easily(which I sometimes do), it's just a habit.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Overall I would have to go with fainting myself, saying they died just sounds too dramatic to me, but the fact that there is an item called "revive" seems it may more so be suggested that they do die :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom