• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dying or Fainting?

What do you call it?

• "Dying"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fainting

• Other

• Total voters
I want to clarify something right away: I know that your pokemon don't die in any of the games. What I'm asking is what terminology you use to describe your pokemon being knocked out. I personally refer to it as "dying" in conversation.

So what do you say in that situation? Do you say that the pokemon "died" or fainted?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Its being knocked unconscious. they can be revived and they can use HM moves in the field.

In the wild they probs get killed wile they're unconscious.

Jaykay.

Never mind Im a moron.

I say "died" due to immense frustration/ease of use.

bunny

birb overlord
I almost always use "die." Even I don't understand why I do it; I just do. When my pokemon faint, something like "My Pokemon died!!!" comes out.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
I would say faint. You could just go to the PokéCenter and revive it. Since it's in another situation, if it was a wild Pokémon I call it dying. Or probably revive it or something.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I say "died" in the moment, though after the initial frustration, I say "fainted".

On a somewhat similar topic... Has anyone played the pokemon challenge where a fainted pokemon is considered dead, and it's placed in the box or released never to be used again (since it "died")?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I have a bad habit, despite being a major Pokémon fan, of saying "dying". I'm fully aware that my Pokémon faint when their HP drops to zero, but the words that come out of my mouth come out as "dying" or "died". This typically comes from built up frustration, like others have mentioned.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I've always just said fainted. When I was younger, my parents didn't like it when I used the term "die" while playing videogames - instead we used to come up with ridiculous euphemisms. :P I guess while playing Pokemon, using the term fainted became a habit.

Fig

The Altruist
I always use "fainted" because if they were to die, then it wouldn't be possible to use them again in future battles or events. Also with the knowledge of knowing that there is an item known as Revive it really questions a young trainer about a Pokémon's real condition after it has no energy left from a battle. :<

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
Naturally when a character runs out of HP I say it died, like when Link runs out of hearts. So that terminology is always stuck in my head when playing other games. I say my pokemon "died" just out of that habit.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I typically say "my Chikorita fainted" because of favoritism, but for almost every other Pokemon in the game, I use "X died" where X denotes the name of whatever Pokemon. Conversely, when I battle a Pokemon I say "I'm going to kill this Y" for Pokemon that I don't plan on capturing, but if by chance (and this has never happened before) I am fighting, say, a Meganium...I'll say "I'm going to knock this Z out" where Z denotes a Pokemon I particularly love. :)

Dan

I've always used the term fainted. I guess it's because a lot of the characters in-game will shove it in your face. "If you pokemon has FAINTED take it to a pokemon center". I guess game freak really wanted to make sure kids everywhere knew their favorite little monster isn't dead. Not to mention if they were actually dying it would definitely make the game appear even more so sick than it already is technically, reviving your pokemon from the dead just to battle it again. Oh and releasing a pokemon is really incinerating it :P Getting back on topic, yeah I've always used fainted. Since dying made no sense to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom