• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dungeons Are Hard.....maybe Too Hard?

Well, we all know how hard a Dungeon can be in Ocarina of Time or Majora's mask- but are they maybe too hard? Like, hard, but too hard, hard enough to put you off playing? Especially if you are playing the dungeon first time, or without a walkthrough. Have you ever suffered from that? when you just get so frustrated with a dungeon that seems unbeatable, that you quit playing?

Link Master

The Hero's Master
On these games it never happened to me I think this is because I have played Zelda since I was three and this was the first one I played. I did not beat it on the N64 but seven years later I started again and beat it.

O.K then maybe I should say this I am not to good at Majora's Mask when I was younger I played it a little and game back seven years later and now I can not make it past the first dungeon The Woodfall Temple.

Kazumi

chagy
Well. I didn't find the dungeons of OoT to hard when I first played through the game. It was really just a matter of collecting keys and finding locked doors. Now, I found the dungeons in Majora's Mask, much harder.

Really. There was not one dungeon in this game that was not difficult. MM truly is the last hard 3D Zelda game. So far. And it isn't even the time limit which makes them hard, they are just so complex and well designed. Especially for an N64 game. I especially had trouble with Snow Head Temple. Which to this day still remains the hardest temple in MM for me. So yeah. I was really impressed with them.

The only time I've ever felt like not playing the game was during Snow Head Temple. It was very frustrating. Especially trying to find all of the Stray Fairies. But of course it was not as difficult as the 2D games. Especially Adventures of Link. Though I still beat that game.

UsayEldaZay

Designed with you in mind
Yes it has happened. I just got so frustrated with the Spirit Temple in OOT that I stopped playing a while ago. Its been like 6 months since I played OOT. However, I find MM much more difficult.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Actually, if something is so stupidly hard, it generally makes me more determined to not let it beat me xDD

I don't think there are any in OoT like that... maybe the water temple if you really couldn't find the last key... but in MM definitely. I've seen it myself- my dad just couldn't get past Snowhead dungeon, and he gave up on it. Heh, I picked up where he left off, but on my first time playing through MM, I used a (rather crappy) guidebook: there was no way I'd get through without getting stupidly stuck xD But I wouldn't say they're too hard, no.

Although when I was younger, I had this happen in OoA, but I'm already past what I found hard xDD And the... 6th? dungeon in TLoZ, with all the flaming like-likes >:C Also, the two rooms of darknuts before the recorder seemed impossible, but I found a stratergy eventually!

I don't find any of them hard anymore. In OoT at least. But I did have a lot of trouble when I first played them.

But I wouldn't say they were too hard. I never quit a dungeon while playing, although I did quit for a while when I was trying to beat Phantom Ganon in the Forest Temple.

I can see how the dungeons and bosses could be extremely hard for some people though.

Majora's Mask was in a lot of ways a sort of "expansion pack" of OoT. I mean, the story was very different, as was many gameplay aspects, but they were definitely trying to expand on OoT. So I think the difficulty in that (which was admittedly pretty damn hard) was appropriate because at times, I felt OoT could be a bit too easy.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Well. I didn't find the dungeons of OoT to hard when I first played through the game. It was really just a matter of collecting keys and finding locked doors. Now, I found the dungeons in Majora's Mask, much harder.

Really. There was not one dungeon in this game that was not difficult. MM truly is the last hard 3D Zelda game. So far. And it isn't even the time limit which makes them hard, they are just so complex and well designed. Especially for an N64 game. I especially had trouble with Snow Head Temple. Which to this day still remains the hardest temple in MM for me. So yeah. I was really impressed with them.

The only time I've ever felt like not playing the game was during Snow Head Temple. It was very frustrating. Especially trying to find all of the Stray Fairies. But of course it was not as difficult as the 2D games. Especially Adventures of Link. Though I still beat that game.

I almost quit at the Snowhead Temple, too. I had to take days to clear my head and ask an online friend for what to do, if I recall.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I found that the stone tower is always hard because thier is the one room where you must keep shining light on mirrors until you shine the block and those enemies kep hitting me or I have to kill them and run out of time.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I used to run into the scenario of not being able to get past a point several times in several games outside and inside Zelda but that was when I was younger, less experienced, and admittedly a crappy gamer compared to what I am today. But yeah I did run into that scenario sometimes. But I didn't give up playing completely but I just restarted the game and played up to that point. Like with WW I spent like 5 years trying to get through the first time in the Forsaken Fortress.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I found that the stone tower is always hard because thier is the one room where you must keep shining light on mirrors until you shine the block and those enemies kep hitting me or I have to kill them and run out of time.
This is the only dungeon where I feel like this. This particular room annoys me to no end, and I think I stopped playing the game for at least half a year now all because of this room.
I honestly don't know how I did it my first time through, because now, it's pretty much impossible for me to do. :tired:

Aki Graham

Secret Finder
I find that when I did that, the Stone Mask helps a lot. The Stione Tower Temple was extreme fun for me, especially without the guide. I hate it when I'm doing a dungeon, and my game freezes or I mess up or something. For, after that, I put off playing the game for about a month.

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
The hardest Dungeons for me were:

~Oot

Shadow Temple
It was very confusing and you always had to pull out the len's of truth, mostly because of all the redeads, and the big maze room with all the blades that fall form the ceiling, I had the most trouble there because I thought you had to the hover boots when you jumped from platform to platform.:lol::huh:

Water Temple
This temple gave me the hardest time, it got really annoying to always switch from iron boots to kokiri boots and then switch again and again. The puzzles were very hard and Dark Link gave me a long case of craziness. I wish that you had the transformation mikau mask here it would make alot easier here. But overall this temple was a waste of time to me I wish they would have made it easier.:tired::tired:

~Mm

Great Bay Temple
This is the only temple in Mm that gave me any trouble. The water current was exteremly annoying and the dexi hands gave me alot of trouble also, I hated the consant running out of magic hazard that was my most hated aspect of the temple and there was only a couple of chu chu's that carried magic jar's and i didn't like going back to the same room for magic power.:tired::tired:

Anyway I like this thread I finally got to express my feelings about those temples thanks!;):clap::nerd:

dumb180

Warrior Postman
On my first playthrough of Ocarina of Time, I got stuck in the Fire Temple for weeks. There's a jump Link has to make, and I didn't think he could do it without falling into the lava. I was so frustrated on what to do next that I went and bought a strategy guide over the matter. Other than that one point, I didn't have too many issues with the difficulty.

Haven't finished Majora's Mask yet, but I'm playing through it right now.. for the fifteenth time. Just finished the Great Bay Temple.. which was pretty challenging. The puzzles were easy enough, but that Gekko... man that Gekko thoroughly defeated me several times. For the first time since Alttp, I found myself running off to buy potions and gather fairies. Then I found out how to beat him and it wasn't too bad really. The Gyorg got me once too. :D

I'd say OoT is a tad too easy, and MM is spot on in terms of dungeon difficulty (now if it didn't have all those sidequests!).

When I first played OoT, the Forest Temple had me stymied. At the time, both my mom and I were playing through the game at the same time and she was a little ahead of me. She had incorrectly told me that the Floormasters (the hands that will grab you and choke you) could only be beaten by Din's Fire. Well, I had forgotten to pick it up as a child and couldn't go back until I beat the temple. Naturally, I tried to bypass this dungeon and continued on to beat the Fire and the Water temples before returning. I was stuck for weeks because I thought I couldn't beat this thing. Finally, I just said "Ah, screw it." and went in and killed it with the sword. Mom was amazed and said "Wow, I didn't know you could do that."

Gee, thanks mom. :P

The only temple or dungeon that has ever given me any trouble ever, is the Water Temple. Every time I played through it, I always had the scenario of being one key too short. After playing through it a heck of a lot of times and breaking a few controllers, I finally gave it to one of my friends and he got me the last one in a matter of a few minutes. That kinda sucked for me. :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom