• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-3DS Dungeon Orders

MW7

Hi everyone, I've been on these forums for six months now, and I've been noticing that a lot of people don't realize just how nonlinear Ocarina of Time is. Mases originally created a very similar thread back in june (http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?19655-Adult-Link-Temple-Order), but I wanted to share my research with everyone. I've broken it down into two categories:1. possible orders without glitches and if you enter a dungeon you must be able to finish it (meaning you can't enter for the item and leave) AND 2. possible orders without glitches. My definition of completing a dungeon means getting the spiritual stone/ medallion or item in the case of mini-dungeons. This definition results in the exact same orders as if you are doing a 100% run anyway (I'm pretty sure). There is one thing though that might be divisive- there is one order through the game in which you cannot enter an entirely optional room so by some people's definition you might not be able to 100% it in that order (if you count entering every room as 100%). Also I'm talking only about the regular quest and not master quest; they are different.

Possible orders without glitches or entering dungeons just for the items:

1. Sheik Order: Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit
- Everyone knows this order because this is the "intended" order through the game.
2. Menu Interface Order: Forest, Fire, Water, Spirit, Shadow
- Most people are aware of this order as well, and famously the menu screen and chamber of sages show the Spirit Medallion before the Shadow Medallion. The hover boots are not necessary for anything in the Spirit Temple. Jumpslashing in addition to a jump can reach some things as well as the scarecrow's song. Also interestingly in the silver rupee and boulder room you can longshot back through the "hover boots" rupee from the other side of the room to the climbable wall.
3. Fire First (a): Fire, Forest, Water, Shadow, Spirit
- People sometimes think this is impossible because of the single eye switch in the Fire Temple; however, first of all the door that opens up only leads to the dungeon map (not necessary to complete the dungeon) and secondly you can climb over the fence from the other side of the fire/lava room and get the map easily without the bow.
4. Fire First (b): Fire, Forest, Water, Spirit, Shadow
5. Fire/Water Switched (a): Forest, Water, Fire, Shadow, Spirit
- There's absolutely no required uses of the megaton hammer in the Water Temple. It does help against Dark Link though.
6. Fire/Water Switched (b): Forest, Water, Fire, Spirit, Shadow
7. Spirit Third: Forest, Water, Spirit, Fire, Shadow
- This is the order I hinted at earlier. There are two megaton switches in the Spirit Temple. The first one is in the Sand Goddess room and opens up a door to a room in which you can push blocks to reach another rusted switch. Hitting this switch turns on the elevator creating a shortcut to the Sand Goddess room from the entrance. These two switches are entirely optional, and only people who need to enter every room to achieve 100% should have to enter it (or if you plan on dying at the boss). There isn't anything else of note in the room- no chests, golden skulltulas, or anything- it's just a shortcut.

As for the mini-dungeons the Ice Cavern can be completed anytime before the Water Temple and the Bottom of the Well can be completed anytime after the Forest Temple (even after the Shadow and Spirit Temples if you can beat the former without the lens of truth and navigate the Haunted Wasteland without it- this is very important- this is why some of the numbers I come up with are so high). Fitting the Ice Cavern into the seven above orders creates 18 orders (i.e. for example the Ice Cavern could fit before Forest or between Forest and Water in the base order 7 listed above). The Bottom of the Well could fit into 33 spaces in the above 7 base orders. There are 9 more unique orders created from spaces between dungeons in which both mini-dungeons can be completed (for instance in base order 1 between Forest and Fire you could do Bottom of the Well and the Ice Cavern in either order). So 18+33+9= 60 unique orders.

Possible orders without glitches: (I'm going to start using abbreviations- F=Forest, Fi=Fire, W=Water, S=Shadow, Sp=Spirit)
F,Fi,W,S,Sp
F,Fi,W,Sp,S
F,Fi,Sp,W,S (need to enter Water for longshot to cross the river of sand to reach the Spirit Temple)
F,Sp,Fi,W,S (entirely possible for the second completed adult temple to be Spirit but you need to enter Water for the same reason as the previous order)
F,Sp,W,Fi,S
F,W,Fi,Sp,S
F,W,Fi,S,Sp
F,W,Sp,Fi,S

Fi,F,W,S,Sp
Fi,F,W,Sp,S
Fi,W,F,S,Sp (must get bow from Forest to be able to complete Water; note that you can get the longshot without the bow because only the final two keys require the bow and those keys lead to the boss key)
Fi,W,F,Sp,S
Fi,F,Sp,W,S

W,F,Fi,S,Sp
W,F,Fi,Sp,S
W,F,Sp,Fi,S
W,Fi,F,S,Sp
W,Fi,F,Sp,S

Adding in the spaces in which you can fit the Bottom of the Well creates 76 orders from the base 18 above and you create 42 orders from fitting the Ice Cavern into the 18 base orders. There are also 19 additional unique orders in which Bottom of the Well and the Ice Cavern fall in the same spot between temples so they can be switched. 76+42+19= 137. However, since you can enter Dondongo's Cavern for the bombs and complete Inside Jabu Jabu first that would double the amount of possible orders through the game. 137*2=274 unique orders.

Last edited:
Wow! Nice mathematics! Didn't know there were so many combination with which to traverse through the dungeons. As the menu screen and Chamber of Sages suggest, I always do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple. ;) But maybe that's because I regard the Spirit Temple as the weakest adult dungeon in Ocarina of Time.

skywardsword13

Dawn of the Final Day
holy ****. Nice man! that is crazy. Now after i Finish my second skyward sword playthrough, I'm going to try to do dungeons in different orders in OoT. I'm gonna try to finish jabu jabu before dodongo's cavern and then try and do Forest -Water -Spirit -Fire -Shadow.

I really hope Zelda games in the future have options like this. I really hope that Nintendo loses some of the linearity like in the past few games. I believe in SS and TP you had to do all the dungeons in one specific order (all though you may be able to do Sandship after Fire Sanctuary in SS, not quite sure on that though.) I hope that, in future games, they move towards making a part of the game where there'll be a stretch of maybe 2 or 3 dungeons that you can go to in whatever order. I hope for that cuz I just like to shake up my playing experience once in a while. =D

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Very nice listing. Your research was excellent. I'm sure the most popular method is the Sheik Order that was intended by the game developers. I've never done it otherwise.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
That's an awesome list! I personally follow the Sheik Order but I've always wanted to try something different. I've played OoT 11 times and haven't yet. :lol:

I've heard of people doing the dungeons out of order, but I'd never tried it.
'scuse me while I take notes from your post and try them out :D

MW7

I really hope Zelda games in the future have options like this. I really hope that Nintendo loses some of the linearity like in the past few games. I believe in SS and TP you had to do all the dungeons in one specific order (all though you may be able to do Sandship after Fire Sanctuary in SS, not quite sure on that though.) I hope that, in future games, they move towards making a part of the game where there'll be a stretch of maybe 2 or 3 dungeons that you can go to in whatever order. I hope for that cuz I just like to shake up my playing experience once in a while. =D

I'm pretty sure it's impossible (maybe possible with glitches) to do the Fire Sanctuary before the Sandship. I made a thread complaining about it here http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?27270-Did-Requiring-the-Fireshield-Earrings-Bother-Anyone-Else-A-Nonlinearity-Rant-Inside. In theory there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't reach the Fire Sanctuary as soon as you collect the Clawshots (needed because you need to clawshot up to a ledge to pour water on the second frog statue's tongue). You can even drink a guardian potion plus which would block you from getting damage in the hot areas of the volcano instead of the fireshield earrings doing so. However, the game designers block you from doing so because Fi forces you to turn around at the entrance to the cave that leads to the fire sanctuary. She says you don't have enough hearts and that she suggests you turn around. She says this even if you are invincible because of the guardian potion plus, and it's not a suggestion- she actually forces you to turn around and walk away. IMO this was a ridiculous instance of preventing freedom because it serves no purpose.

Also thanks for the kind words everyone! I might try doing something similar with A Link to the Past, and I think that game might have even more possibilities.

Last edited:
A

Averi

A Link to the Past has a LOT of different possibilities. I usually will get the bow from the forest and the hammer from the fire, then complete the Gerudo training grounds before beating the water, go to the village for the scene and go to the past for the first time. I'll get the lens and go do the adult spirit section before beating the shadow. I'll defeat the fire then forest as an adult and travel back to being a kid for the last time. Do the spirit temple. Return to adult and finish spirit. After all this, I think I've collected everything and can just go beat the game.

so I guess.. forest fire water spirit shadow fire forest spirit? I think to complete it in the order that is the most advantageous, by waiting to beat the other bosses, I have more hearts and items with which to beat them =P I've also just worked out the way to get all the items in the fastest way over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom