• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dungeon Mode

MW7

So the idea of boss rush modes got me thinking, why not a mode where you just play through dungeons. They're by far my favorite aspect of the games, and most people at least like them.

Since there are some variables (# of heart containers upon entering for instance or items in the more nonlinear Zeldas) maybe they could let you customize what you bring into the dungeon with you.

Please don't respond by saying "just save it to another file to keep a dungeon replayable" because I already do that on every Zelda and run out of files quickly.

What do you think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
jux save to another file :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that they should have a dungeon mode where they are completely remixed puzzles/enemies and you have the whole time attack aspect. It would add some more replayability, and if they could introduce things like alternate/upgraded versions of items in the dungeons, that would be even more awesome. The idea needs some refination, obviously, but I like the idea of a dungeon mode to complement Boss Rush.

Here are a few things I'd like should the dungeon mode idea come to fruition:
  • Choose how many hearts you have, from 3 to 20 – difficulty including dungeon complexity and enemy strength escalates with how many hearts you choose though if it is a later dungeon e.g the final dungeon, choosing 3 hearts keeps the same dificulty as if you were playing the story mode final dungeon.
  • Choose what items to bring in. Even if a dungeon in the story requires e.g the bow, you can take it out and find it in the dungeon OR all bow puzzles will be replaced with some other kind of puzzle. Yes, if you choose not to take any items at all, it's just a combat dungeon with basic puzzles (or timeshift stones).
  • Rewards escalate on how fast and how well you do the dungeon. So, for example, if you beat a dungeon that normally takes 20 minutes in 5 minutes and also with no damage, you gain 20 rupees. If you kill every enemy in the dungeon, you get bonus rupees...things like that. Even heart pieces could be awarded.

Last edited:

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus

I'm thinking that they should have a dungeon mode where they are completely remixed puzzles/enemies and you have the whole time attack aspect. It would add some more replayability, and if they could introduce things like alternate/upgraded versions of items in the dungeons, that would be even more awesome. The idea needs some refination, obviously, but I like the idea of a dungeon mode to complement Boss Rush.

• Choose how many hearts you have, from 3 to 20 – difficulty including dungeon complexity and enemy strength escalates with how many hearts you choose though if it is a later dungeon e.g the final dungeon, choosing 3 hearts keeps the same dificulty as if you were playing the story mode final dungeon.
  • Choose what items to bring in. Even if a dungeon in the story requires e.g the bow, you can take it out and find it in the dungeon OR all bow puzzles will be replaced with some other kind of puzzle. Yes, if you choose not to take any items at all, it's just a combat dungeon with basic puzzles (or timeshift stones).
  • Rewards escalate on how fast and how well you do the dungeon. So, for example, if you beat a dungeon that normally takes 20 minutes in 5 minutes and also with no damage, you gain 20 rupees. If you kill every enemy in the dungeon, you get bonus rupees...things like that. Even heart pieces could be awarded.

Somewhat along these lines I would love you to have to explore a dungeon twice, but the second time around having new items opens up all new areas and enemies. You go through a dungeon once, and come back later to realize that maybe with the claw-shot there is almost a completely new dungeon. Imagine a game with only 3 dungeons, but say 9 dungeon crawls (3 visits to each dungeon).

MW7

Somewhat along these lines I would love you to have to explore a dungeon twice, but the second time around having new items opens up all new areas and enemies. You go through a dungeon once, and come back later to realize that maybe with the claw-shot there is almost a completely new dungeon. Imagine a game with only 3 dungeons, but say 9 dungeon crawls (3 visits to each dungeon).

With the general ideas of the Temple of the Ocean King, the Tower of Spirits, and now with how the overworld of Skyward Sword is set up, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo was already thinking of implementing your idea in the next game. It is the next logical step to have something like 3 main dungeons that you have to revisit multiple times without being repetitive.

I really like the possibility of sort of a master quest being integrated into the mode, and the time attack would fit well. I was also thinking that with choosing which items to bring in that you could bring in items that you usually wouldn't have yet and that would change how you could beat the dungeon. For example, say it's OOT and you want to play the Water Temple. If you could bring the hover boots with you, that would change how you play the dungeon because you could skip another locked door and then you wouldn't need the bow at all.

Still if they somehow managed to integrate at least your second idea, I don't think I'd ever get tired of that game.

Last edited:

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
It would only be a good idea if they were able to make the dungeons different on each playthrough, which would be next to impossible. It isn't as fun when you already know all the solutions. I don't think that would work out all that well personally...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It would only be a good idea if they were able to make the dungeons different on each playthrough, which would be next to impossible. It isn't as fun when you already know all the solutions. I don't think that would work out all that well personally...
That isn't impossible. Go play Four Swords and tell me the dungeons are the same. That was with simple tilesets. With the upcoming Wii U, Nintendo most definitely can make multiple dungeon templates based off of one dungeon.

I dont think it would be a great idea,because making all the dungeons of any Zelda games would take too much time and its not fun to make a speedrun of puzzles like that and it just doesn't fit,rush mode is a good idea for bosses or for games like Mario,Sonic,Megaman,Kirby,well they already did that for Sonic Colors and Megaman 9,but it would have been a good Idea with Super Mario galaxy 1 and 2.

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
That isn't impossible. Go play Four Swords and tell me the dungeons are the same. That was with simple tilesets. With the upcoming Wii U, Nintendo most definitely can make multiple dungeon templates based off of one dungeon.

But will you be able to maintain a good quality of dungeon? Randomly generated dungeons won't be as good as hand made dungeons. I've never play Four Swords, are the dungeons in that game good?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
There aren't dungeons in FS but there are overworld segments that change with each playthrough.

I don't really like the idea of being able to replay dungeons as a concept, for a few reasons.

• Dungeons can already be replayed. You can always re-enter a dungeon in just about all the games and replay it at any time.
  • Dungeons are major elements of the game. Replaying bosses makes sense because they're only a small portion and one you can't repeat, but replaying huge sections of the game is very different.
  • It gets into the territory of being a reason you should just restart the game, since you want to replay so much of it.

Or that's my take on it anyway. I like the idea of optional dungeons that have nothing to do with the story, and those could potentially be handled in this way, but aside from that the concept doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But will you be able to maintain a good quality of dungeon? Randomly generated dungeons won't be as good as hand made dungeons. I've never play Four Swords, are the dungeons in that game good?
Not necessarily true. Dungeons never run 100% off a solid running design. While dungeons often have elaborate concepts and puzzles that span the entire dungeon, many instances of said theme are isolated or are abandoned in a handful of standalone rooms. Four Swords, since you brought it up, mixes and matches sections of the map, changes pieces here and there, but it keeps sections. Randomizing a dungeon doesn't need to randomize every single element, but just mix and match sections. And yes, I liked the stages in Four Swords.

And randomizing dungeons is not impossible. It's pretty easy, really. I wouldn't say it would be better, but it would be unoffensive.

There aren't dungeons in FS but there are overworld segments that change with each playthrough.
They aren't overworlds either. Four Swords had levels, or stages. :P

MW7

I don't really like the idea of being able to replay dungeons as a concept, for a few reasons.

• Dungeons can already be replayed. You can always re-enter a dungeon in just about all the games and replay it at any time.
  • Dungeons are major elements of the game. Replaying bosses makes sense because they're only a small portion and one you can't repeat, but replaying huge sections of the game is very different.
  • It gets into the territory of being a reason you should just restart the game, since you want to replay so much of it.

Or that's my take on it anyway. I like the idea of optional dungeons that have nothing to do with the story, and those could potentially be handled in this way, but aside from that the concept doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I agree completely with your second point because dungeons are quite long, maybe a mode wouldn't be the best option. For your third point, I just don't see the point of having to play through hours of gameplay in Twilight Princess for example to get to the parts I really like such as Snowpeak Ruins or City in the Sky.

I'm really confused about your first point though. The only game I'm aware of that even remotely resets dungeons to the extent that reentering them has much for you to do is Majora's Mask. Even that game doesn't let you play it exactly the same because you keep the map, compass, and dungeon item forever. I don't think any other game even resets keys like in Majora's Mask. Some puzzles and monsters reset in other games, but it's not like you can truly replay the dungeon.

Ignoring the possibility of a dungeon mode, ideally I'd like to be able to reenter a dungeon I've already completed and be given the option to replay the dungeon as if it was my first time through. Maybe there would be a station at the start of every dungeon where you could ask to replay the dungeon, and if you want to quit replaying it, you could go back to the station and go back to normal with all your items. For me personally, I know this would be extremely convenient and add replay value to the game. A situation like in Majora's Mask would be cool in other Zelda games, but even that game didn't let you replay dungeons exactly the same.

Last edited:

Yeah, I agree, with the boss replay, you can find different ways to defeat the bosses, with the dungeon replay, all you could do is try to find your best time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom