• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dungeon Keeper Gold Free!

Cfrock

Keep it strong
In the wake of heavy criticism of Dungeon Keeper's mobile revival, EA have allowed GOG.com to offer the original 1997 Dungeon Keeper for free this weekend. Dungeon Keeper is a brilliant strategy game, one of my all-time favourites, and along with it's sequel, Dungeon Keeper 2(which GOG.com is offering at 75% off at $1.49), represent some of the best work Bullforg ever produced, back when Peter Molyneux could make games worth playing. I would recommend both of these games to anyone reading this, as they are just excellent.

But what is this? It's not like EA to give stuff away from free, even if it is a 16 year-old game (I can't believe it's been so long...). Is this an apology of sorts for the awful mobile game? Are EA trying to pacify the many fans they enraged with the blatant scam that is Dungeon Keeper 2014? Do you think this kind of thing should be encouraged, a developer offering reparations after making a blunder? And beyond that, do you think reviving long-dead franchises like Dungeon Keeper is a worthwhile endeavour in the first place?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That's very kind of them! :D Good guy EA! Reminding us of a time when Molyneux delivered on his promises of awesome games. ;) Bullfrog was such a good dev! I've many good memories of playing Theme Hospital all day long. And then Molyneux ruined it!

I don't really rag on EA like some people do, I've got no problem with them at all, they've done some really cool stuff recently too and I love their games! Now we just need them to make a game called 'Candy...' something, get sued by King, and then roflstomp them with a billion lawyers like they did to the guy with the 'Edge' trademark. pls EA.

As for reviving dead franchises, I've got no issue with it at all. A game's a game as far as I'm concerned. It's either fun or boring. The good thing about old franchises is there's no franchise fatigue knocking about the place, so even though it's an established franchise it still feels fresh! That's the issue with long-running franchises without big changes, and especially prevelant in annual franchises, the fatigue sets in quick. I also like seeing old games, limited by the hardware and expectations of yesterday, brought into the modern era, with all the new, user-friendly stuff we do. Stuff like the new Deus Ex; I go back and play the old one and just think "WHY DIDN'T THEY THINK UP THAT AWESOME COVER SYSTEM 12 YEARS AGO?!!". :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom