• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dumb comments you often see or hear

NastyLesley

Goth catboy thingy
Here's one I've been getting a lot from customers recently.
"You needs the radio on!"
Somehow these people don't notice the headphones, they just think I'm in the habit of wearing a funky-looking hairband over my hat I suppose. Moreover if I want to work in silence that's my own business, I'm not hurting anyone.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I don’t see how that’s dumb. I use it a lot, mainly if I want to make something clear, or out of habit.
When I hear it, my immediate reaction is... If this person needs to clarify they are being honest, does that imply that if they DON'T say this, they are not being honest?

I think I just generally take all interactions as if somebody is being honest, unless I have some reason to question what they are saying... but I feel like, adding 'To be honest' adds nothing positive, but does make whatever is said sound more questionable.

A lot of overused phrases assimilate into people's vocabulary, and that's pretty normal of human behavior, but some can be annoying. "To be honest" is fine depending on the person, but when it's become such a habit ingrained into the way they speak, it doesn't really feel like you're talking to a person anymore, rather just some program stringing together phrases.

I personally have my own embarrassing habit of using the word "though" very redundantly in consecutive sentences. (:

Sort of related, but a phrase I've been seeing people using more is "I'm just a little guy" when introducing themselves. I don't know where this came from but it makes me so uncomfortable seeing people describing themselves as that. Calling something a "little guy" is how people talk about pets; it feels dehumanizing and awkward that it's becoming a normal thing that people say about themselves as a person.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sort of related, but a phrase I've been seeing people using more is "I'm just a little guy" when introducing themselves. I don't know where this came from but it makes me so uncomfortable seeing people describing themselves as that. Calling something a "little guy" is how people talk about pets; it feels dehumanizing and awkward that it's becoming a normal thing that people say about themselves as a person.

Is this a regional thing? I've never heard anyone refer to themselves like this before, but do agree it sounds kind of awkward.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Guitar specific one here.

Inside the necks of many guitars is a rod called a truss rod, and its purpose is to provide reinforcement for the force the strings put on the neck, what we call "relief."

Now, the proper relief for a guitar setup is based namely on the string gauge and tuning you use, because those things are the biggest deciding factors on the tension the strings exert on the neck.

When adjusting the truss rod, we're basically making a very fine adjustment where we want the neck to be almost imperceptibly curved, because if the neck was dead on straight, the strings would just buzz against the frets. So we adjust it to where it looks dead on straight, but it's imperceptibly curved.

Getting this right involves turning the string into a straight edge by fretting the 1st fret and using your elbow to mash down the strings where the neck meets the body, and then using your thumb to gauge the distance between the top of the fret, and the bottom of the string.

There's many ways to visualize it, but I use the gauge of about half the thickness of a credit card as the proper relief. If it's not half the thickness of a credit card, then it needs to be adjusted, and this is a fine adjustment, as as little as 1/8th of a turn can make a big difference. You basically adjust, wait 30 minutes, check again, and you stop when it's right.

Now, some guitars have more stable necks than others, and some you have to adjust more often, and some barely need any adjustment at all, but that's the purpose of the truss rod, and when to make an adjustment. In other words, if the relief is right, leave it alone.

Now, here's where the dumb comes in.

People suggest a truss rod adjustment for any number of guitar related issues, sometimes when it has little or nothing to do with the problem at hand, leading to confusion on what the truss rod is doing, and what the adjustment is doing.

Namely, people suggest a truss rod adjustment when someone says their action is too high. Action is how high the strings sit off the fretboard, and is adjusted after you adjust the truss rod, and you raise or lower the action by raising or lowering the nut and bridge of the guitar. Neck relief barely has anything to do with the action.

In other words, people view the truss rod adjustment as a cure-all for all guitar related problems, and while you do have to adjust the truss rod when setting up a guitar to play and sound its best, it isn't going to fix everything.

Besides that, I've seen people wrench way too hard on truss rods when you really only need a fine adjustment or two. It may provide reinforcement, but it is a delicate piece that can easily break if you're not careful.

So I've been saying that if you don't know what the truss rod does, you're better off leaving it the hell alone, and seek help from a responsible adult.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
"Actually, arceus is a mainline game, because game freak said so."

that doesn't help describe what arceus is like at all tho so I'm gonna keep calling it a spinoff to let people know they shouldn't expect mainline gameplay

sorry you're mad (for some reason these people are mad)
and sorry I don't care what game freak calls it, I'm not writing a polygon article

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
'If global warming is real why do the rich in government still buy costal properties'

Because the imminent flooding of the earth that was spoken about in the 90s and 2000s does not come from scientific data and instead was perpetuated by quoting or misquoting journalists rather than people of science. The actual data on global warming has been generally quite accurate at predicting temperature rises.

The rich people buying coastal properties will probably have passed on long before significant sea rise floods their homes.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
"It's a movie, not a documentary"

Typically this is a response where I point out a minor flaw in the movie, that completely breaks my immersion and willing suspension of disbelief. Like in Whiplash, where Andrew punches through a snare drum head, and the amount he's bleeding from practicing drums is ludicrous unless he suffers from hemophilia.

One, the worst injuries drummers get are repetitive strain injuries, blisters, and maybe bruise their fingers if they catch it on the rim of the drum, so how Andrew is bleeding so much while practicing is ridiculous, unless he has hemophilia. That would be the only logical explanation.

Second, you can't punch through a snare drum head easily, because they're literally made to withstand being hit. A lot. With wooden sticks. By drummers. Some of whom have the touch and technique of Captain Caveman. Not only that, but Evans drum heads makes some snare drum heads made out of kevlar.

So either that snare drum head was gonna break on the next few hits anyways, or Andrew packs one helluva punch, stronger than Mike Tyson, able to punch through a kevlar snare drum head.

Or maybe, the scene just makes no sense. That's not how real musicians practice. It's exaggerated to a grotesque degree, because practice is a slow, deliberate, and methodical thing.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
"It's a movie, not a documentary"

Typically this is a response where I point out a minor flaw in the movie, that completely breaks my immersion and willing suspension of disbelief. Like in Whiplash, where Andrew punches through a snare drum head, and the amount he's bleeding from practicing drums is ludicrous unless he suffers from hemophilia.

One, the worst injuries drummers get are repetitive strain injuries, blisters, and maybe bruise their fingers if they catch it on the rim of the drum, so how Andrew is bleeding so much while practicing is ridiculous, unless he has hemophilia. That would be the only logical explanation.

Second, you can't punch through a snare drum head easily, because they're literally made to withstand being hit. A lot. With wooden sticks. By drummers. Some of whom have the touch and technique of Captain Caveman. Not only that, but Evans drum heads makes some snare drum heads made out of kevlar.

So either that snare drum head was gonna break on the next few hits anyways, or Andrew packs one helluva punch, stronger than Mike Tyson, able to punch through a kevlar snare drum head.

Or maybe, the scene just makes no sense. That's not how real musicians practice. It's exaggerated to a grotesque degree, because practice is a slow, deliberate, and methodical thing.
There was a small trend on NASCAR Twitter a couple weeks back where we laughed at how exaggerated wrecks in movies that have stock car racing are.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
"MeDiEvAl PeOpLe DrAnK bEeR iNsTeAd Of WaTeR bEcAuSe ThE wAtEr qUaLiTy WaS cRaP!!"

Okay, I will grant that the Medieval Period wouldn't be fun live in all the time, but that doesn't mean the people were stupid and had no ways of getting access to clean water. Our modern filters are still based on a very effective, if simple method of filtering water via sand and charcoal. This was known hundreds of years before the Medieval Period, so I'm sure they knew about this already.

This whole myth is made even more funny and ridiculous since in order to make beer in the first place, you need water to do it, and every brewer knows that the best beer starts with the best water that you can find.

And the myth presumes that the alcohol in beer is so high that bacteria can't grow in it. That's untrue, because if you've ever failed in making hard apple cider, you know you end up with apple cider vinegar, because of acetobacters. Acetobacters are bacteria that convert ethanol into acetic acid, making vinegar.

"But that's cider, not beer!"

So? Cider has around the same ABV as beer, and this happens to meads, wines, ciders, and it happens to beer too, in fact, that's what malt vinegar is.

Point being, beer, wine, cider, and mead aren't distilled spirits, meaning their alcohol content is not high enough to kill off bacteria and preserve it. Leave beer, wine, cider, and mead out long enough exposed to oxygen, and they will eventually turn into vinegar because of bacteria.

At that point, they're no longer drinkable as wine, beer, mead, or cider, and they're still safe to consume, so they just get repurposed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom