• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dude, Bro, Homie.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Oh btw Merc and JC don't speak for England they speak for a savage torn up area that stinks of booze and inbreeds, I however speak for England, I ensure you we do say mate around here a lot. :P

We don't say mate much anymore, I only hear it occasionally. I don't like it because mostly it's used passive aggressively when they're trying to intimidate you. Like false friendliness. My manager called me mate yesterday which I didn't like. But generally, no, I don't find these terms offensive. If someone calls me dude, I don't care. I call people dude, too, just from habit. The only ones I dislike are when guys call me babe or anything like that, or refer to me as a chick. But that is for entirely separate reasons. Here in London, boss is popular for some reason. Usually like "Ey, boss, 'ow much is dis?" because all our accents are screwed up from the posh/cockney/afro-caribbean influences. I know a lot of guys who hate being called boss, but I don't really know why.

Also, we don't really say bro, we do say 'bruv', whether in reference to your actual brother as it's used in the home, or just friends, or sometimes even to enemies. I remember seeing some guys arguing once and they were like "BRUV, BRUV, BRUV" haha.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The only ones I dislike are when guys call me babe or anything like that, or refer to me as a chick. But that is for entirely separate reasons.
I don't like babe or chick either. It's not that the words are bad, but like, when I think of "babe" I think of a girl who would touch any man anywhere just for her own gratification. And while we're all selfish, I don't like being a USER and embracing that. Like, I think of the really hot popular girl who's "sexy" or whatever. And I just don't like the way chick sounds. A baby chicken is a chick in my eyes. When you call a girl a chick...it just doesn't work out for me. Mental disconnect going on.

Here in London, boss is popular for some reason. Usually like "Ey, boss, 'ow much is dis?" because all our accents are screwed up from the posh/cockney/afro-caribbean influences. I know a lot of guys who hate being called boss, but I don't really know why.
All I know ist hat I absolutely LOVE it when people say boss. ;p

Also, we don't really say bro, we do say 'bruv', whether in reference to your actual brother as it's used in the home, or just friends, or sometimes even to enemies. I remember seeing some guys arguing once and they were like "BRUV, BRUV, BRUV" haha.
xD <3

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
No, and anyone who is needs to go and just ****en die in a corner.

@Ventus you're black, you don't say "neato." If you're gonna use any words that start with an "n" it's "n!gga," dawg.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't like the way "Bro" is used sometimes though, people will say it - not in a friendly manner - but to soften a blow. I see it hsed when two parties are arguing or when some idiot online uses it after saying something negative towards me. It doesn't make me mad, I just simply think it's used out of context and people think by saying "Bro" that it softens the blow of their insult, just lol.
I think I know what you mean. There's a little saying Don't tase me, bro which people apparently use whena cop whips out his shockgun. That's kind of trying to make the altercation as a whole more 'friendlier' when they both parties hold all sorts of malice for each other. ;p

No, I'm not offended by these words on a regular basis, but I can see why people might be put off by such terminology in certain situation. If someone were to call me a "homie" at a formal event in front of superiors, for example, I would be embarrassed and taken back by a lack of etiquette.

This.

There's a time and place for everything, and one such instance is among friends, close relatives, and people your own age. It's almost taboo in most cultures to use such colloquialisms (or their equivalents) in a formal setting or toward superiors; American culture has become laxer, however. Though, older generations still are often taken aback by them. My dad, for example, would have more than likely been offended by them. It's just one of the many universal cultural "no-no's" found all over the globe, so it's pointless to let it ruffle your pantaloons. Just keep in mind that some cultures around the world are not so laid-back as we are. It's all about respect.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't like babe or chick either. It's not that the words are bad, but like, when I think of "babe" I think of a girl who would touch any man anywhere just for her own gratification. And while we're all selfish, I don't like being a USER and embracing that. Like, I think of the really hot popular girl who's "sexy" or whatever. And I just don't like the way chick sounds. A baby chicken is a chick in my eyes. When you call a girl a chick...it just doesn't work out for me. Mental disconnect going on.

It's not so much that I think of it as a slut-shaming term, I just find it kind of gross. I don't know. To me, much as chick is a baby chicken, Babe is a pig who escaped to the city.
Plus, it's kind of patronising. Especially when the guy doesn't even know me and just calls me babe... idk, it's not nice though, in my opinion. Some of my girlfriends call me babe, but they call everyone babe because that's the way they talk and I'm fine with that. But when it's a guy I just find it like... I have a name, use it. Similar words in this category for me are: love, darling, honey, hun, sweetie, ugh. And yes, this is partially my dislike of mush, but also just no.

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
I've never been called "Dude", "Bro" or "Homie" before. But I hear it being used all the time. It's one of those things that you get used to. Would I take offense if someone calls me that? It depends on the context, and how close that person is to me. If they are my friend and they jokingly call me "dude" or "bro" then I wouldn't be offended. I may find it strange at first, though. Like when my friend called me sweetheart for the first time. It wasn't used to offend me. It just felt strange as I was never called that. But "Homie" is another thing of it's own. I don't think I've ever heard that word being used before. And so it just sounds strange. So I think I would be sort of offended by it. If I was called "chick", "babe", or "baby", I would be more offended than being called "homie". I don't know why. I don't like those words and how they portray the person being called them.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
no I'm not offended by any of the words stated lol. Though I have never been called any of these things really except "dude" and that is mainly when my mom called me that lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom