• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dude, Bro, Homie.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Those are some neato words that people use to refer to other people. They're harmless, mean little, and are used worldwide. And yet people are offended by them.

Simple question around, are you offended by any such terms? Why/why not?

Fig

The Altruist
Maybe it's just due to the fact that some people don't be referred with slang terms. I mean, I know those words are harmless, but I know some people who don't like it. So whenever I speak with them, I don't refer to them with those words just to make them happy. But if people call me, "Dude", "Homie", or "Bro", I wouldn't mind. It makes me think that those that want to refer me as their bro or homie, really want to be my friend. So I easily and happily accept it. :>

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I really have no opinion regarding this, I live in North England and no one says dude, or bro, or homie. It's just not something I've heard anyone say, bar online or on TV when there's an American around. I say them sometimes in jest too, bro.

So, I'm certainty not offended by them, no.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I really have no opinion regarding this, I live in North England and no one says dude, or bro, or homie. It's just not something I've heard anyone say, bar online or on TV when there's an American around. I say them sometimes in jest too, bro.

So, I'm certainty not offended by them, no.

hey what's up mate

offended?

No, I'm not offended by these words on a regular basis, but I can see why people might be put off by such terminology in certain situation. If someone were to call me a "homie" at a formal event in front of superiors, for example, I would be embarrassed and taken back by a lack of etiquette.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well, I don't use these words on people I don't know. However, my best friend and I call eachother Dude and Bro all the time. It seems harmless to me. I never use the word Homie though. That one never appealed to me, and just seems odd.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
No I don't say such terms in real life nor does anyone I know, we have other terms and such, but I associate these with Americans, probably from TV and conversing with other Americans.

I don't like the way "Bro" is used sometimes though, people will say it - not in a friendly manner - but to soften a blow. I see it hsed when two parties are arguing or when some idiot online uses it after saying something negative towards me. It doesn't make me mad, I just simply think it's used out of context and people think by saying "Bro" that it softens the blow of their insult, just lol.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
hey what's up mate

offended?

We don't even say that. :P Well, we say mate a lot, but not "what's up". Never.

areet wor kid - Is a popular greeting. Which I'm sure makes a lot of sense to everybody.

Last edited:

Dan

I actually get very offended when someone calls me "bro", mostly because the very thought of me actually being related to the monstrosity that called me such simply makes me want to puke. I'm surprised JC said what he did, since quite a few people say it here. I normally also picture some pumped up guy that takes steroids, while having a ****** attitude when I think of the word "bro". The other two slang terms I don't mind so much.

Oh btw Merc and JC don't speak for England they speak for a savage torn up area that stinks of booze and inbreeds, I however speak for England, I ensure you we do say mate around here a lot. :P

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
No, I don't find those terms offensive whatsoever. I could potentially understand why someone may take offense to being called such terms, but there's really no reason to take offense to them. They're harmless slang words that are used by virtually everyone, if anything, we should perceive it as some sort of sign of affection. If it's a gender issue people have with those words (mainly because both "bro" and "dude" suggest the subject is male), then they should really just shrug it off.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
areet wor kid - Is a popular greeting. Which I'm sure makes a lot of sense to everybody.

Ok for real that made absolutely no sense to me, I don't know what it was exactly, but this sort of slang is just repulsive.

I hate any form of "dude"; I am not your dude (what the **** does that even mean?). I hate any form of "bro"; I am not your brother (lel). I hate any form of "homie"; firstly, I am not your roommate, and secondly, you do not live with me (even more lel).

No but really. I just don't understand people who try to distance themselves from slang. Can you honestly say that you do not use slang? So then why do you make a scene and say shizzle like "I am not your dude"? I don't even know what 'your dude' is! I don't have a 'dude'! You're just a person; a dude. >_<'

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I'm not offended by these words. I honestly don't see why anyone would be. I use the word "dude" sometimes but I look stupid when I say "bro" or "homie". They are just harmless slang words anyway. It's not like they are calling you something that can actually be offensive.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Ok for real that made absolutely no sense to me, I don't know what it was exactly, but this sort of slang is just repulsive.

Lol. It's just the dialect here, but, thanks for saying it's repulsive. ;)

'Areet' simply is 'Alright', asking if someone's alright, which has pretty much evolved to mean hello now. People don't answer it, just say it back usually. Wor kid is a weird one; 'Wor', in the Geordie dialect, just means 'Our'. Like, there was a famous footballer called Jackie Milburn that everyone loved, and he got the nickname Wor Jackie, which just means 'Our Jackie'. And 'Our Kid' is a popular Northern phrase meaning a brother or sister, and an affectionate way of saying that, so, 'Our' becomes 'Wor'. So, Wor Kid is born, and it's an affectionate phrase for another person really.

So funnily enough, 'Areet Wor Kid' is basically people saying 'Sup Bro'. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom