• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dubs Vs Subs

The way i see it: If i get to watch it at a decent quality and understand what is going on due to either am happy :P

I watch either, depending on the show. It's true that I often prefer to watch things in their native language, but there are certainly instances where I don't mind dubs when they're done nicely. My lame reason for defaulting to subs is that it reminds me of times with my sister, since she always preferred them to dubbing, and we'd watch anime together a lot. But like I said, as long as they are done nicely, I really don't mind either one. I remember some cases of pretty awful subs, though, and after that I found that while bad dubbing can get annoying and sometimes convey things in a completely different manner than the original, bad subtitles can also completely hinder the meaning of the translation. I've seen some that are so riddled with spelling errors that sometimes it's hard to understand what they were trying to say in the first place. I particularly like it in Pita-ten, which repeatedly used the word "anger" in place of "angel", which happened to be, well... kind of funny despite being an awful error. I also distinctly remember a time in an anime I can't remember that confused something like oven mitts and spatulas in the translation. I will say however that one thing I like about subs is that sometimes they can have notes out on the side of the screen to explain something cultural that could not be translated well to better help you grasp the original meaning (dunno if that's ever done in conjunction with dubs).

Anyhow, for me it's just on a situational basis - both can be good, both can be bad, but I usually default to subs. <3

Linksister82

Setterwind
I think the dubs on Sailor Moon, Death Note and Inuyasha are pretty good. I can pretty much deal with either sub or dub really.

Dan

For me it's simple. If the Dub sounds good I'll watch it. If it sounds terrible like a sunny d girl getting bogwashed then I'm going to watch the subs.
I don't mind subs myself but others hate them with a passion for various reasons, such as the constant need to focus on what you watch.

masterSword2

Smile!
IMO it doesn't really matter as long as the voices fit, but I usually watch subs because I mostly watch anime on Youtube or Hulu, and most of the time they only have dubs available for part of the show, and i don't want to switch from a dub to a sub half way through.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
For Dragonball Z, English DUB please.
For everything else, I general prefer subs. The Japanese voice actors in my opinion just fit the role better, even if I've lived my life with the English dub and never before heard the JP dub. Example: Naruto. Everyone in Naruto to me sounds better in Japanese than English. Even within video games, I tend to slap the Japanese voices on. Especially for the girls -- I love Japanese girls.

I don't care much for bad translations. If it isn't the correct translation, oh well! You can't 100% translate many words from one language to the other, this is proven.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Yeah it really is all dependent upon the anime that you are watching. Many Animes I started watching out in Dub until they ran out and then I continued watching them in Sub only to find that I enjoyed the Subs a lot more like Naruto and One Piece. However, there are others that the Dub is just amazing for such as Death Note, Code Geass, Clannad, and Spice and Wolf. I've actually refrained myself from watching the rest of Spice and Wolf because it hasn't been Dubbed yet and I really like the English Voice Actors. And then there are the ones that I cringe if I hear the English Actors like Inuyasha.

I'm watching Inuyasha right now and I seriously want to go shoot myself whenever I hear Inuyasha's actor. I downloaded all the episodes with Dual Audio so that I could choose between Japanese and English. I listened to the English actors for ten minutes and that was all I could take. I switched it over to Japanese and have never looked back. It completely changes his character in my opinion. And Shippo is infinitely funnier in Japanese than English.

So yeah, I love Dubs and Subs. It all depends upon the anime, the actors, the subtitles, etc. But if I have to choose one over the other, I would have to say Subs are better, because it is the original and usually hasn't been censored like the English ones. But always try both when you start a new anime to see which you prefer. Everyone likes things for different reasons.

I typically watch everything with dubs for the sole purpose of not having to read subs while trying to watch the show. The only exception is if the dub version isn't out yet and I'm just too excited to wait for it, in that case, I will watch the sub version.

I honestly prefer subbed anime. I just can't stand it when I'm watching something, and it has bad voice actors. If the dubbed is good, I'll watch it, but I usually enjoy subbed more. It just sounds better in the language it was intended to be in. :)

Last edited:

Conor

the over analysing guy
I generally prefer watching subs, but the odd dub is pretty good, Death Note is a good example of that.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
It's split for me. Sometimes the subs are better; other times, the dubs are better. Bad translations can be a problem for both of these, so that's out of the question. The problem with dubs for me is that a lot of English voice actors tend to make things sound... off. Like they're trying too hard. Of course, this doesn't mean every dub is bad; the Japanese voice actors could be horrible as well, but I can't tell since it's in Japanese and I'm too busy reading the subs. :p

But, in general, I guess I'd have to say that I prefer subs slightly over dubs because I prefer reading things over listening to them. Sometimes, the voices aren't too clear or it gets jumbled up with all of the background noise, so if an anime has both a good dub and a good sub, I'd opt for the sub because there's no mistake in what I read.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Personally, I'm exactly like you. I prefer the dubs, because I speak english. Some voice actors are amazing and can project great emotion (Tomoya in Clannad Afterstory). Some are **** (All of bleach's). So thus, I prefer dub. Some subs are good, but I always doubt they are properly translated. I wish i spoke japanese to understand it fully!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom