• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Dual Wielding in Legend of Zelda

MarkaenShoque92

Hero of Hoenn
I am listening to the latest mailbag video, and the idea of RPG elements caused me to think about what could be an interesting new idea for LoZ. How would you feel if Link could dual wield swords or shields?

My idea is to have a system like OoT (for the selection process and different swords) and Skyward Sword (different types of shields with different strengths and weaknesses) where you select your sword and shield, but you could have two shields for certain enemies, two swords to make Link more offensively oriented, or have a combination of sword and shield for a classic Link. This could also simultaneously allow people to have a left-handed or right-handed Link, if they have a preference. I am basically thinking of a system similar to Final Fantasy 3 or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, to put it into perspective.

Any thoughts?

I think Link would look badass with two swords. The only problem I would have with it is that to me it would kind of make him look more like an assassin than a hero. Also whenever I think of dual wield in Zelda I think of Wind Waker Ganondorf. But if Nintendo decides to do it I there's be no objections from me

I personally never dual wield in games that have that as an option. I just think it looks silly and unwieldy. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of dual wielding in a Zelda game tho if it were implemented well and interestingly.

This would be a fantastic idea and I'd support it fully if Nintendo decided to do this. The possibilites of new combat mechanics that could be added along with this cool idea are endless. You could need specifically two swords to demolish some enemeies, or, you could be forced to upgrade/find new swords (via sidequests) to beat a certain boss or enemey. The possibilites are endless, and I think each one would make Zelda a better series in general.

There's also something else that would have to be added into the game if a dual-wielding Link were to appear, and that is the option of having more than one weapon to carry around. This may seem obvious and obscure, but this means that Link could possibly pick up other enemey weapons, obtain new weapons, and get different weapons other than swords (battleaxes, weapons, maces, etc.). This would allow the player to customize Link in their own personal way, think more strategically, and give them more veratitility in comat.

Essentially, this would make Zelda a lot more RPG-ish than people would like, but I think these ideas are a step in the right direction for future Zeldas.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Four sword + Master Sword?
I think this would be a really cool idea. Not for an extended period of time in the game however, if you were dual weilding all the time it wouldnt really feel like Zelda.

I'd like this but at the same time if they did this I'd be a bit worried that Nintendo would focus more on combat than puzzles and other traits the series is known for, but if there is a balance then yea I'd be up for it.

Tictalk

Anouki
I understand where your coming from On This but personally I think this is a terrible idea. People keep on saying that Zelda should take mor elements from (insert RPG game here) and (insert action packed game here) but people need to realize that you can only add so many non-Zelda elements and keep it Zelda. I think that they reached their limit of RPG elements in SS without taking it too far. Don't get me wrong cause I love RPG and action games but Zelda has established itself as a successful game series with the elements it has and it should change too much.

Wouldnt it be hard to kill an enemy with two shields?

Just saying...

This would be a fantastic idea and I'd support it fully if Nintendo decided to do this. The possibilites of new combat mechanics that could be added along with this cool idea are endless. You could need specifically two swords to demolish some enemeies, or, you could be forced to upgrade/find new swords (via sidequests) to beat a certain boss or enemey. The possibilites are endless, and I think each one would make Zelda a better series in general.

I think you would spend alot of time switching between different combos if they used it as new combat mechanics (kinda like switching from iron boots back to normal boots in Oot)
Would be a cool idea but dont revolve the game around it like they did with the motion controls

I think it would be cool, but it should be like another weapon. Kinda like the Biggoron Sword, it could be stronger but you can't use your shield.

I'm not sure if I would like that in a zelda game; it just doesn't seem to fit. I guess it's more of a personal preference thing-but having the choice to custamize which hand Link holds his sword/shield in is a cool idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom