• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

DSi or DS Lite

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
Well, it depends.

The DS Lite is nice because it has the slot for the GameBoy Advance games. The buttons are placed nicely, but the power button is pretty annoying. It's right where the player's right hand is, and it's easy to turn off on accident while playing a game.

The DSi is cool because it has the camera, but it's sad that they got ride of the GameBoy Advance slot. Many love the fact that they have many games from the DSiWare. And a lot tend to really like the animations they can make. The power button is in a better place, too. It has internet connection, so the player could be in his/her bed while online. How nifty!

So, I guess I'd have to pick the DSi, even though I don't have one. I love my DS Lite a lot, and I'm often playing GameBoy Advance games on it, but the DSi has many more options. I'm hoping that they actually make a DS with a GameBoy Advance game slot and all of the options that the DSi has.

F

Forsaken

I must admit that it took me a while to understand that the DS was different from the DSi. My only experience with handheld games is from the GBA so far, and I belong to the group of people who don't really care for the console look, but appreciate its content. Not that I'd rather have an older version of the NDS, I'm okay with the DS Lite, it's beautiful. It's just that when I had my first contacts with video-games, there weren't many ways to make it look fancy or "cuter" than the other ones.

So I guess I'm still getting used to this new generation handheld consoles, and I realized (sometime ago) that I did play both NDS Lite and DSi. The biggest differences I could spot were some of the buttons and its texture, that looked harder. It's thinner too, and I know it has a camera.
But the fact that it looses the really nice GBA slot makes me want to forget about Big N's selling/marketing skills and keep on playing not only new, but old games as well.

I think this basically explains why I prefer the Lite one.

S

soulreapersheik

i agree with a lot of people here that the ds lite is way better! i mean, who would want to give up the gba slot? its like two consoles in one! and the DS is meant for GAMING, if you want a camera, go buy a camera, if you the internet, go buy a computer (its better on a computer too) and if you want to listen to music, go buy an ipod!!! sure they have those little distortion modes and mini music game things, but would you rather that or better quality sound and better pictures! stick to the DS lite!!!!!!

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I recommend the DSi, if only because it has sturdier construction and larger screens. I've seen the hinges compared, they look stronger, and I know how easily DS Lite hinges break from personal experience. :(

The only downside to the DSi is that you can't play GBA games on it. But you can get a Game Boy Micro (a backlit screen and no stupid hinges) really cheap right now. So I'd just get a DSi with a Game Boy Micro, and call it a day.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I don't own a DSi, but I have used my BF's and it is so much fun to record your voice, take pictures, sure the internet, and do a bunch more. I definitely reccomend the DSi.

CZG

DS Lite, until they release Zelda or something very cool for the DSi only.
I'm not seeing that happen though. I'll problably get another DS Lite, if this one should break down, unless the DS2 is already released by that time (and if it plays old DS games).

I don't see much benefit to a camera... Could they be using that in the next Zelda title? Rats! I'm not into handheld Internet or recording my own garbage either. Wii ware? Nah, I haven't seen something that even caught my attention.
Listening music? Not on such a big machine man! At least my current MP3 player fits in my pockets. Plus, it's too expensive to drop your DS twice a week when skateboarding.

Steve

5/19/13
I've yet to get a DSi, and I'm still at bay with whether or not I shall, however I have used one a few times. To me, I don't exactly find the camera or applications to be anything more than gimmicks, since I most of those features are in my iPod touch. I will say it appears to be an attempt to compete with the touch, but I can't comment on if it does a good job at it. I get handhelds and consoles to play games, and nothing more, so I don't feel the need to get some of these cheap features.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Being a fan of Gameboy games, I wouldn't like to miss out on the dual slot feature, but seeing as my old DS was falling apart, I bought a Dsi.
I have to say, it is a great console. The camera isn't that great, but some of the other features make up for that- such as the option to play music that has been saved onto your SD card, and the downloadable animation studio. (Flipnote Hatena)

The DSi also allowed me to play onine games that would not previously connect to Wifi (For example, Pokemon).

The DSi shop is great too, and if they could put Link's Awakening on it in the near future, that would make it even better!

So in this instance, i'm going to go with the Dsi, seeing as I still have my Gameboy and DS so that I can play GBA games. So i'm not losing out ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom