• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

DSi or DS Lite

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
Here are my opinions:

DS lite, I have owned a lite and it was a good portable gaming system the gba slot and card slot made it a two way station. And it was cool with the touch screen and voice mic. Internet gaming for some games was a huge step for a portable station, or so is my opinion.

DSi, I currently have one it is light blue in color and worth the money, this newer version is awesome, it has a camera, mic, virtual shop channel that comes with 1,000 free points, has bigger screens, you can put a SD card in it, and it is slimmer! But saddly it loses the gba slot, so basicllay it is just an upgraded Ds lite but loaded with more programs. It feels like a portable Wii to me with the main menu being like the Wii channel screen!

So I think that if you are a old fashion player go with DS lite, but if you want to keep up with the future than get the DSi!:clap::wave:;)

Well. When Nintendo finally has the nerve to rip it's fans off, the production of DSi games, which will not be compatible on the DS or DSL, will start to be released more and more. So basically In the near future you're going to have to upgrade your DS if you want to play the DSi exclusives. At least Nintendo is comfortable where they are at right now, even with the Wii, I don't see a completely new handheld any time soon. That's just me.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I don't really have a need for another camera and mic setup. I can understand a camera for a kid who doesn't have access to another one, but I have no need for it. I'll stick with my DS Lite, thanks :)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Okay this thread belongs in the general gaming forum not the general discussion one. Moving on...

DSi vs. DSlite the DSi pwns. It's like 12% slimmer than than the DSlite, has bigger and brighter screens, much better audio quality (I could barely hear the lite with flippin earphones), a shop for various DSi exclusive software, a camera, a recording studio (which also plays AAC music on an SD card), a stulus that's easier to hold onto, no gloss (gloss=fingerprints galor), and finally it can play just about any DS series game that Nintendo will ever release.

What does the DSlite have that the DSi doesn't? A GBA slot. But really noot many people play the GBAs anymore and with the possibility of a DSi virtual console that won't last. Plus if you're one of those people that don't sell their old systems to get new ones (like selling a normal DS to get a DSi) then it's not a problem.

As MasterKokiri9 said, this belongs in the General Gaming section.

This is a question I think I'll be the only one to answer this way: I prefer the DSi, but I carry around a Game Boy Super Portable for Game Boy games. I bring the DSi to play DSiWare (Pyoro or Dr Mario Express most likely) and I bring the Game Boy for Yoshi's Island, Mario Bros, Pokemon Silver, and Super Mario Bros 2 (Best Mario game ever. Period.) I have two perfectly good pockets at all times, there's no reason I can't bring both. Heck, you can even bring them in just one pocket they're so small. But favorite-wise, Game Boy Super Portable. Dual Screen Lite is easily able to slip out of your hands.

Bob Majinki

Deku Director
I personally am considering selling my original DS I still have along with the games since I've been so disappointed with what Nintendo has been doing as of late.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Sticking to my DS Lite. Partly because I see no real use for me in the added functions of the DSi, partly because I need my GBA slot, partly because my DS Lite is a limited edition golden Triforce DS.

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
The DS Lite is a lot better. I still have the original DS that was bought back in 2005. Having no GBA slot is the reason why I don't like the DSi. This makes games like Guitar Hero: On Tour completely useless. I've heard the apps you get on the DSi aren't that great and you have to spend money on them. There's this Super Mario Bros. clock on there for $2 when you can play the actual game for free. The camera I've heard isn't very interesting as well. One thing I would like is if they had this DSi virtual console where you could get games like Zelda: Link's Awakening or Pokemon Red or Blue. How much the DSi costs is $180 which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion when the DS lite costs $130 and has an included GBA slot.

The DS Lite is a lot better. I still have the original DS that was bought back in 2005. Having no GBA slot is the reason why I don't like the DSi. This makes games like Guitar Hero: On Tour completely useless. I've heard the apps you get on the DSi aren't that great and you have to spend money on them. There's this Super Mario Bros. clock on there for $2 when you can play the actual game for free. The camera I've heard isn't very interesting as well. One thing I would like is if they had this DSi virtual console where you could get games like Zelda: Link's Awakening or Pokemon Red or Blue. How much the DSi costs is $180 which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion when the DS lite costs $130 and has an included GBA slot.
Not having a GBA slot is the only thing wrong with the DSi compared to all of it's added features compared to the DSL. In my opinion, the DSi highly out weighs the DSL because of that. The clock you mention is no different than the skins you can download off of Xbox Live for your dashboard. You don't have to buy it so that doesn't effect the DSi at all... The DSi is fairly new. Games for the DSi virtual console are probably being worked on as we speak. As for the price of the DSi, it's $170. Not $180. It is rather close to the price of a Wii though and I would like to see a price drop...

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Well, seeing as how the guy was unpacking DSi's and I asked if I could have a DSLite, I be sticking with the Lite. :P
The DSi doesn't have the GBA slot which is a huge no, and it's so much more expensive. As if the Lite wasn't bad enough. >.< I wont' be paying over $200 for a handheld, thank you.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
(don't take offence Master Kokiri 9, it's just yours is the post with the most arguments to counter :D)

*raises hand* I still play A LOT of GBA games, and I know for one thing it's so much easier to be able to play both types of game on one system, rather than lugging around a bunch of different handhelds for each.

To counter some of the pluses of the dsi:

- I actually like handhelds with more substance to them; the ds lite was pushing it already imo, and the dsi's even thinner...
- I've never thought the ds lite to be quiet... it's always seemed to have okay audio to me...
- Dammit, more exclusive software from nintendo... this will be the 3rd ds model now :c
- Most people have a camera, and I know failing that, there's one on my mobile too... they're on most mobiles nowadays... so why does there need to be one on a handheld game console too...?
- And again, most people have mp3 players... and I know I'd rather listen to music on that (also has larger memory) than run down the battery power on my handheld, which I could be playing games on...
- You can buy other types of stylus that attach to the top of your ds... I have one of the fatter New Super Mario Bros ones... so you can have a good stylus regardless of the handheld model.
- I once spilt some paint on my ds lite, and it easily scrubbed off the shiny parts, but it's still stained the matt hinge... and I like shiny things. Hopefully the dsi matt will be easier to keep clean than the matt on the ds lite then...
- Any ds game... but no GBA.
- Price. It's out of the question for a lot of people (like me at the moment)

I say this, but I know I will eventually upgrade to the dsi (probably when there's a game released I really want, but it's dsi only >.<) And flipnote studio looks really interesting... but other than that there's not much at the moment than makes me want to go out and buy one right now...

Maybe I'm just being nostalgia and bitter though, still clinging to the concept that game consoles are for playing games on. In today's world, it seems everything must have multiple functions or else xD

I have one thing to say: DSi WARE AND VIRTUAL CONSOLE. Seriously guys, if you're still craving old GBA/GBC games, go buy a SP for 15-20 bucks. The DSi is the future of handheld gaming because of the two reasons above. Not only is DSi Ware a prime reason, but Virtual Console will be an even better one. Imagine games like OoX and LA being downloadable for a cheap price, and since those are games the lite can't handle, you'll actually get something much better. DSi Ware holds plenty of promise, and is already off to a good start with small releases like Mario March of the Mini's and the long awaited Shantae 2.

More is more, and it's going to stay that way. I'm feeling some awesome DSi-only title coming up, be it in the near or far future.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
I do have to admit, there are some very promising dsi ware games... I guess I'll end up carrying my SP and dsi lite around anyway xDD I'd rather not buy new versions of games I already have, but that's just me fussing. You do have a point there, however.
But haven't nintendo said they have no plans yet to gameboy games in the dsi shop (aka no virtual console)? Or am I missing something? xD

bellum

Gamer since age 2
The DSi and the DS Lite are both very awesome systems, coming from Nintendo. The DSi has many great feature, just as the Wii has, which makes me like it better. Also since it can do the same exact things the DS Lite can do and that it has more feature, it automatically has to be better. I did like the buttons on the DS Lite better than the ones on the DSi. They were squishy, but on the DSi the buttons were flat (just as the GBA SP's buttons are.)

On the DSi who doesn't like downloading games from the DsiWare channel, and surfing the web as you could on the Wii with the internet channel? Who doesn't love making animations and viewing others just with a stylist with Flipnote Studio? I sure loved doing that.

The DS Lite could play games, use DS Download services, and use Pictochat, but hey, the DSi could do all of that and surf the web, make animations and buy games and other softwares from the DsiWare channel. I had forgotten about this but really the only thing the DS lite has that the DSi doesn't is the ability to play Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games on ot, which, if you don't have a Gameboy or Game Boy Advance, could really suck.

My main point: Dsi Wins.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom