• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dropping Out of a Series

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Have you ever been a fan of a series that started to go in a direction you didn't like, dropped in quality, or you just got plain tired of?

Pokemon is definitely one for me, I was into it for the entirety of 2013, but then the repetitive nature of the games started to wear me down and by the next couple years, I was just over it. X is still the latest game I played, and while I've thought about jumping in again here and there, I just don't see myself sticking to it for long.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Not a series, but as a kid I used to play a ton of Poptropica. Enough that I was known around school as the only kid who managed to beat every island. Then around 5th grade or so I lost interest. A lot of the islands just kinda felt like less good versions of previous ones to me. The last one I actually finished was S.O.S. island, though I would occasionally come back in the following years to do a few more.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Halo

343 Industries is a sinful and shameless "studio" that doesn't listen to or have any respect for their target audience, let alone understand the concept of a target audience or have the desire to even learn about the concept of a "target audience".

Call of Halo 4: Generic Sci-Fi Warfare
Halo 5 Gorbians
Halo Infinite Broken Promises

The only good Halo games that have come out since the social media director/tertiary writer became the franchise director by default because all the other staff members above him left to make Destiny (Frank O'Connor) were the games that were developed out of house.

Halo Spartan Assault
Halo Spartan Strike
Halo CE Anniversary
Halo 2 Anniversary
Halo Fireteam Raven
Halo Wars 2
Halo 5 Forge

Those were good games.

And then we have the overabundance of novels and the insufferable retcons!

Before Frank O'Connor became the de-facto Franchise Director, Humanity were the Forerunners.
BUT SUDDENLY
He became the Franchise Director and decided to make his barely-canon sub-plot that exists in the Halo 3 Terminals revolving around the Didact and Librarian become further expanded by novels commissioned to Greg Bear in order to retcon the franchise and have Humans and Forerunners be separate species WHILE ALSO committing the writing taboo of explaining the cosmic horror that is the Flood.
Cosmic Horror, BY DEFINITION, is to be hardly explained and the origins and history of which is unknown.

Honestly, with how Halo 4 failed to even be a Halo game and how low the game's reception was; I am surprised that Microsoft didn't shaft 343 Industries and make the smart decision of rotating out the hacks with people how had care and investment in the franchise.

And to add further insult to injury we had Bonnie Ross and Brian Reed further tainting the franchise.
GLAD THEY ARE BOTH GONE NOW

Halo Infinite had such promise.
And because of this failure of a studio, they wasted time, wasted budget, and broke promises in order to compensate for the lack of effort they put into the project.
Joseph Staten and Paul Bertone are back from Bungie to finally, FINALLY show this cursed studio how to actually BE a studio and eventually, through the power of updating, FIX the mess of Halo Infinite.

Shame the rest of the franchise from 2012 and onward cannot be fixed without a reboot of sorts that might happen in a decade or so.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Pokemon for me, as well. I skipped SwSh and I'm skipping SV too because dropping the national dex betrays the entire heart of the series for me. I may still play spin-offs like future Legends games, at least, but until they do the bare minimum of coding in the whole national dex so you can at least trade in mons that aren't regional from Home, I'm done with the main series.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I've definitely fallen out of the loop with Pokémon and Yugioh anime, and somewhat a reoccurring from their card games

and while I do still have a major interest in their videogames the lack of legal means to play them also made me lose some touch with those to some degree

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Mario. I used to play it for hours but I just grew out of it. I do play some Mario games from time to time but don't enjoy it for long. Right now I play Sunshine though which I do enjoy. I don't care about other Mario games too much anymore. Odyssey was the last one I bought but I haven't touched it since I finished it

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I totally lost interest in pokemon when gen 5 started. My friend kept telling me about all the new pokemon and they were so dumb
But I got back into it like 5 years later or something when they made oras and it's been fine

I lost interest in Kirby after epic yarn came out, though I wasn't too into the series to begin with. I mostly just played KSSU and air ride.

There are moreso series that I could have gotten into but didn't really like Castlevania

I dropped out of Pokemon after joining for characters like N, Ghetsis and Iris in Gen 5 and then not finding in Gen 6. Wasted 60 dollars buying Sword and Shield because I thought the Wild Area was going to mean something, and am waiting until Gen 10 comes out to see if what looks to be a good Arcaeus and SV are the new norm or a convenient sidebar.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As a kid and even a teenager I played so much Mario but in recent years I haven’t really played any new releases since maybe New Super Mario Bros U. I have played a bit of Smash and Mario Kart but not much in terms of the main series games.

Hmm, funnily enough, I feel like I get back into franchises more often than I drop out of them.

I had low enthusiasm for Kirby during the late 2000s/early 2010s, but fell in love again with Planet Robobot and Forgotten Land. A similar thing happened to me with Pokémon. Gen 5 was the low point of my interest, and I got reinvested with the Gen 7 games, and now Gen 9 is looking promising.

I guess one franchise I don't play much nowadays is Gears of War. I really enjoyed the original trilogy, but I feel the newer games haven't grabbed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom