• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dreamcast on Wiiu Virtual Console?

MonkeyFightSquad

*LAUGHS EVILLY*
I was thinking. Since they are going to have Gamecube Virtual Console games on the Wiiu, are they going to have Dreamcast ones? I think it would be an amazing idea. What do all of you think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why? Doesn't it make sense though.

The thing is, for Nintendo to get DC games onto the WiiU VC, they will have to do some business with SEGA. Now, as far as I know, Nintendo and SEGA are friends, maybe not super close but they likely have good relations. It's just that Nintendo hasn't been doing the best lately and for them to spend even more money? That might be a blow to them. On the consumer side Dreamcast games sounds awesome. But on the corporate side, all they really want is money money money, and if they can't have that then no DC games for us.

Fig

The Altruist
I would like to see Dreamcast games for the Wii U Virtual Console, but Nintendo would have to talk to SEGA about that since they own the Dreamcast. I'm not saying it will never happen, but the chances of seeing a Dreamcast game for the Wii U Virtual Console is very slim. Then again, Nintendo and SEGA are buddies and they might come to an agreement at one point. :3

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I am not against this but like the previous posts before me there's a slim chance this will happen.

How is it in any way unlikely, you guys? Nintendo already did this: The Wii has Sega Genesis games on its virtual console. Nintendo has already had dealings with Sega over this very same thing. Doing it with the Dreamcast would be nothing new.

I don't ultimately know if Nintendo would go this route, but if they didn't it would be a serious missed opportunity, as the Dreamcast was a short-lived system that yet had many beloved games. It would attract a lot of people to have those games available on the Wii U.

Fig

The Altruist
How is it in any way unlikely, you guys? Nintendo already did this: The Wii has Sega Genesis games on its virtual console. Nintendo has already had dealings with Sega over this very same thing. Doing it with the Dreamcast would be nothing new.

I don't ultimately know if Nintendo would go this route, but if they didn't it would be a serious missed opportunity, as the Dreamcast was a short-lived system that yet had many beloved games. It would attract a lot of people to have those games available on the Wii U.

True. I was just making a point that you said. Maybe Nintendo might not be looking towards that direction, but I would be a bit sad to see it NOT appear for the Wii U's Virtual Console. :kawaii:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
How is it in any way unlikely, you guys?
Possible money constraints. As I said, Nintendo hasn't been doing the best, and while I know pretty much zero about economy and all that, Nintendo just might not make any money by dealing with SEGA, in fact, they might even lose money. I'm not saying the Dreamcast library sucks (Soul Reaver, Soul Calibur, Sonics, Shenmue, Ecco the Dolphin, and those are just the AAA titles), but the possibilities are still there :P

I'm all for the Dreamcast coming to the Wii U -- the file size for an ol' DC game is roughly around 600MB which isn't all that much (GameCube games, which, as I recall ARE going to the VC, are around 1GB on average). Just, money. idk.

Possible money constraints. As I said, Nintendo hasn't been doing the best, and while I know pretty much zero about economy and all that, Nintendo just might not make any money by dealing with SEGA, in fact, they might even lose money. I'm not saying the Dreamcast library sucks (Soul Reaver, Soul Calibur, Sonics, Shenmue, Ecco the Dolphin, and those are just the AAA titles), but the possibilities are still there :P

I'm all for the Dreamcast coming to the Wii U -- the file size for an ol' DC game is roughly around 600MB which isn't all that much (GameCube games, which, as I recall ARE going to the VC, are around 1GB on average). Just, money. idk.
I don't pretend to know about what business deals Nintendo had to secure to license the games up on Virtual Console, but I would think it would be a relatively inexpensive, simple one: They put the games up, and the profits are split with the copyright holder. I don't think it should cost much, but again I don't know if it does or not. If it does that's stupid. :/

I also think Nintendo's been doing fairly well. Certainly they've had issues but I don't think there's reason to think they're struggling. And they definitely shouldn't be pinching pennies with a new console's release.

I would LOVE to see Dreamcast games on the WiiU's VC!!! I had a Dreamcast, and loved the games I had for it (Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2, and some others). I don't know how Nintendo is fairing money wise, but I don't htink they're hurting for money. Maybe someday they'll make a deal with SEGA and will have DC games available on the virtual console.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, and the Sonic Adventure games on the WiiU? Sign me up! Hell, maybe we'd even get that Shenmue II port that was supposed to come to the Dreamcast. I did manage to buy it on the Xbox, but I wanted to transfer information from my Shenmue file.

I'd buy all the games three times over if I could.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Several Dreamcast titles were remade or re-released for the Gamecube already, and chances are very good that we'll see those titles on the Wii U virtual console. Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and Skies of Arcadia are some of the major ones, but I think there are others.

The only time we'd really need the Dreamcast title to appear, is if there isn't already a Gamecube port. Gamecube was a better system, and it's easier to run Gamecube games on the Wii U anyway.

Given that there was a little difficulty in porting Dreamcast games to the GCN architecture way back then, and the Wii U being based on an evolution of that architecture, I don't see how it would really be a problem. Technologically, it would be easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom