• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dream Theater

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
Possibly one of the best bands ever. These guys have been playing music as Dream Theater for over 25 years, and they had a college band, Majesty, before that. They're some of the best musicians out there. Just recently their drummer, Mike Portnoy, was named the 5th best drummer of all time.

Has anyone else here heard of them?

Q

quillmert

I've listened to some of their music and I have to admit that they are an incredibly talented group, but although their music sometimes moves me, more often it bores me. I have a problem with lengthy songs if parts are uninteresting, and I can never seem to get into Dream Theater, or as soon as I do the song slows down and I grow uninterested again. I love their music, but I never really want to sit down and listen to them for a long time, it seems to quickly grow into a chore rather than enjoyment for me.

Hanyou

didn't build that
One of my favorite metal bands.

I've listened to "Scenes From a Memory" God knows how many times. Masterpiece. However, sometimes they write stuff I dislike (this was the case with "Train of Thought") so it's always a toss-up as to whether I'll like their music.

I liked Systematic Chaos and Octavarium, but I haven't gotten a chance to listen to their latest album.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
One of my favorite metal bands.

I've listened to "Scenes From a Memory" God knows how many times. Masterpiece. However, sometimes they write stuff I dislike (this was the case with "Train of Thought") so it's always a toss-up as to whether I'll like their music.

I liked Systematic Chaos and Octavarium, but I haven't gotten a chance to listen to their latest album.

According to me, my brother and my dad, their latest album (Black Clouds & Silver Linings) is their best. I think probably Octavarium is my second favorite.

I like how The Glass Prison, This Dying Soul, The Root of All Evil, Repentence and The Shattered Fortress seem to go in order and are related in so many ways, including same words in parts, same music in parts, etc. You'll know what I mean when you listen to all of them.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
Odd, I go through over 20 years of never hearing of this band, and then hear about it from multiple forums i frequent all in the space of two days.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
Wow, cool! It is an amazing band. It's last 3 albums, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds & Silver Linings were the best. The others were good also.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Dream Theater's going to be touring with Iron Maiden this summer, which is epic to end all epics.

I've recently been listening to one of their songs in particular--A Change of Seasons--and the complexity and beauty is mind-boggling. Dream Theater is easily my favorite band right now.

Part 2:[link]; Part 3: [link]

All fans of Dream Theater should definitely make an attempt to check out that tour. Iron Maiden was one of their inspirations, after all, and seeing them tour together will be fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom