• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Doom Metal

Hanyou

didn't build that
Discuss Doom Metal.

For those unfamiliar with the genre, it's basically heavy metal, with a focus on heaviness and lyrics usually covering...well...doom. Imagery and sound will usually be evil, dark, etc. and music will usually be slower than other forms of metal. Like most metal, it's all pretty cheesy, but it's fun when you're in the right mood for it. Not to mention that it can get pretty epic and atmospheric. It ranges from classic, epic-style material to more extreme stuff (either played faster or slower, and with growled or screamed lyrics). Pretty much all Doom Metal I'm familiar with traces its roots back to Black Sabbath, the quintessential metal band.

Some examples:

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
Bastards Will Pay by Trouble
Seeds of the Desolate by Solitude Aeternus

[video=youtube;woe_4gkS4XU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woe_4gkS4XU[/video]

I have some selfish motives for making this thread. Recently I've been trying to get into Doom Metal. I've bought a Trouble album, a Solitude Aeternus album, and a couple of Candlemass ones (I've heard they were the pioneers, along with Black Sabbath, of course), and I really like what I hear, but I want to hear more. Are there any fans here? Any recommendations? I can't stand harsh vocals--I like 'em clean, though I don't mind some variation within songs.

In short, I want moar EPIC doom. More hard-hitting stuff like that Candlemass song.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I didn't you had it in you Tim :P
Screaming, huh?
While I do have a bit of knowledge of screamo bands, I can' say I know a whole lot of the metal variation. I'm going to take a quick trip through my iTunes, but the only think of of the top of my head is Coheed and Cambria, who have a TON of material. I'll see if I can find a track or two that most resembles the Candlemass song you posted, perhaps an album, and Coheed uses very prominent vocals.

[video=youtube;wFobg2ZVy8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFobg2ZVy8U[/video]

[video=youtube;fws6hlLaS0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fws6hlLaS0c[/video]

and of course:
[video=youtube;abJYXY3mPjs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abJYXY3mPjs[/video]

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Coheed and Cambria: when they come onto my iPod via shuffle I usually skip past them, but some songs are really brilliant.

The Candlemass song was a bit strange. I really enjoy really fast, syncopated songs that are constantly change time signatures, the best example being The Fall of Troy, but often in those songs they have a break down which is slower and much heavier, as if the instrumentalists are carrying bags of sand on their hands (except for the drummer's feet :P) and this song is sort of like a really long break down from one of these songs.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Hey man, thanks for the suggestions. It's not quite what I was looking for but I liked the songs and am considering checking out Coheed and Cambria now. :)

I actually don't like screaming much and was trying to avoid it, so I think you might have misunderstood me (I don't mind it in some songs but as a rule I just prefer clean, classic vocals). Also, Doom is basically an offshoot of traditional heavy metal, which was slow. I like Power and Prog Metal myself, so I'm definitely a fan of the faster stuff, but there's a slow, plodding, heavy sound to Doom that I just find infectious. Sabbath was the first band to nail it, but I think Candlemass is about as good. They do write some faster songs too (especially on the concept album Tales of Creation), but because they're traditional they do slow music best.

I like Epic music. Sometimes this comes in the form of Thrash (early Metallica), sometimes Power Metal (Blind Guardian), and sometimes Heavy Metal (Maiden). With Doom, though, "epic" almost seems to be the rule rather than an exception. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom