• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: Wii or 3D?

Beeker

Wild Card
I've had my eye on getting this game for a while since it looks so fun and challenging. It has a decent price too. But now, the 3ds port is out in addition to the Wii one so I'm wondering... which would be the better version to buy?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm assuming you own both consoles. If you don't, obviously go for the one you can actually play.

The Wii game is bound to be cheaper, especially pre-owned, so if you can find that for a good price, go ahead and buy it. The new features in the 3DS version aren't too outstanding. There's a few new levels at the end of the game, as well as an easy mode with some new items. Despite these little additions, if the price difference isn't that great, I say get the 3DS version, anyway. The lesser display can be said to be made up with the portability factor. Take into consideration what features here you care about. If you're out and about a lot, definitely get the 3DS version if you desire some DKCR on the move.

Salem

SICK
Buy on the consoles you currently have, I only played the wii version, I don't know if anything was changed in the 3ds version.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
3DS version is superior bar the resolution, but even then it's rather negligible imo. Shoot for DKCR3D.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I haven't played it but it's a CC of DKCR Wii but with some extras at the end and portability. :yes:

Beeker

Wild Card
I should've mentioned that I do have both systems, so it's not a question of having to get one.
But after looking into it a little, I think 3DS may end up being the better deal. c:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I much prefer 3D. I didn't mind the shaking controls in the Wii version, but I'd rather just use buttons in a precision platformer. The 3D effect also really enhances the effect of going into the background of a stage. It's like the game was built for the 3DS instead of the Wii, to be honest.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Get the 3DS one because motion controls suck. :)

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the useless motion controls in Wii version. Like, they do nothing to the experience - again just changing HOW yvou do things, not WHAT you're doing aka SSing Donkey Kong. Shoot for 3D.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I've only played the Wii version. I think the 3DS version is only like $5 more expensive and it has 2 modes rather than the 1 on the Wii version, so you should probably pick up the port. But don't listen to anyone who says the motion controls suck because they're fine.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I've only played the Wii version. I think the 3DS version is only like $5 more expensive and it has 2 modes rather than the 1 on the Wii version, so you should probably pick up the port. But don't listen to anyone who says the motion controls suck because they're fine.

Motion controls are pointless.

Personally, I'd rather push a button. Shaking a stick doesn't do anything to enhance the gameplay.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Motion controls are pointless.

Personally, I'd rather push a button. Shaking a stick doesn't do anything to enhance the gameplay.

Its not like they ran out of buttons is it?

Its like alot of DS games simply added touch controls to parts of the game when there was no point, and like new super mario bros, why do I have to flick the controller to do the little spin thingy while jumping? Would using the the B trigger or something had been so impossible?

Salem

SICK
I wouldn't say motion controls are entirely unnecessary, but there's a place for them, when they're used right, its true, they didn't have to use them for the rolling in Donkey Kong country returns.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I wouldn't say motion controls are entirely unnecessary, but there's a place for them, when they're used right, its true, they didn't have to use them for the rolling in Donkey Kong country returns.
Ya, its not like, Donkey Kong Land, or Country series had trouble using the B / Y buttons (the run button) as the same button for rolling/ throwing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom