• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Donating Blood

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I apologize if there is a similar and recent thread. I looked but did not find one.

What are your thoughts on the topic of donating blood? My school has a blood drive twice a year. Since I was old enough to participate this year (you have to be at least 17 in my state) I did it. I'm planning to donate during the next blood drive in May, too. I want to donate blood because I feel like it's a kind gesture, despite the fact that needles freak me out.

How do you feel about donating blood? Do you feel like it's a civic duty? Do you just not bother with it? Or are you somewhere in between? Have you donated before? If not, do you plan to? If you don't want to donate blood, why?

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
I think I'd do it, probably because I can. I forget the kinds of blood, but I have the kind that can donate to anyone. I would probably freak myself out if I tried to. If there are any blood donations out here, I'll try it out.

Why is this in Mature Discussion?

I plan on donating blood at the next blood drive at my school. I couldn't this year because I wasn't old enough.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I think I'd do it, probably because I can. I forget the kinds of blood, but I have the kind that can donate to anyone..
You're possibly O- or O+ then. O- is the universal donor type.

I'm AB-, which is the rarest bloodtype in the world, so I donate every chance I get.
Its important to donate blood. Good karma, man.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Staff member
ZD Legend
I am a regular blood donor and have been since I was 18. I go to the NHS Donation Centre in Liverpool every 12 weeks or so to donate. I have also managed to convince a friend to donate before and we both plan on giving again when we are next eligible (which should be next month). The whole process is fairly quick and easy, you even get some biscuits and a cup of tea afterwards.

I started giving blood because I hoped it would make me feel good about myself. A fairly selfish reason perhaps but at the time I needed something to be proud of in my life and giving blood seemed like a positive way to get that. Needless to say, giving blood was a very gratifying experience and my subsequent donations were done for the joy of helping people. I found it a little surprising, in all honesty, just how good I feel after a donation. I think it stems from an incident shortly after my third donation when a friend's grandmother had an very bad accident and needed a large transfusion to keep her alive. Her blood type was the same as mine and although I have absolutely no idea if any of my blood was part of that transfusion the thought that my blood had possibly helped save her life was an immense one. The NHS always remind donors of the need for blood and of people who are alive today because of blood donors and that event really made that feel real for me.

Giving blood takes next to no time and really does help save lives from people in nasty accidents to cancer patients going through treatment. When donating, the staff make your health the priority and never force or pressure you to donate. You could get up on the bed and back out just as they're about to put the needle in if you want. I'd urge everyone to at least give blood once and see how the experience is for you individually. You might just find it to be more rewarding than you'd expect.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
My thoughts on giving blood... I wish I could.

I don't talk or think about it often, but I have a condition that precludes me from donating blood, plasma, etc, since that could wind up very deadly for me. It's pretty much the one thing in life I actually can't do, and it makes me sad that I can't donate to help others. If anyone cares to know why, they can PM me; I'd rather keep this out of the public eye, and I don't want any pity party or anything stupid like that.

As to others giving blood, I absolutely endorse it. It's an extremely charitable act that ensures precious lives can be potentially saved.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
I'm planning on donating blood for the first time on May 1st. Gonna hopefully find out what type I am, cause it's been bothering me for years. :3

I think it's a really good thing to do, especially because you could help save a life, or maybe multiple lives. I think everyone should, if they can. There's really no reason not to.

I don't know much about blood, but i now we produce alot of it. In my opinion healthy people should donate blood whenever they can, but not forcefully of course. I have given blood only once and i got a cookie and T shirt for it. I want to give blood again, but i haven't the time or money to visit the nearest American Red Cross.

I'm kind of a wuss. I had about six or seven vials of blood taken once at the hospital, and I felt really woozy. I am not sure I could handle a pint being taken out.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm pretty afraid of donating blood - my stuff going into another person - so I shy away from it. I probably would donate blood but not for any specific reason other than the sugar at the end. :I
---
No, donating blood is not a duty. I've a right to what I own and no one can change that.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I've donated blood once, and found out what blood type I was. But, I hated it, and I feel bad for hating it but, my blood is staying in my body for the foreseeable future. I was in Spain and got food poisoning. That's the last time I say "That's a weird colour... but I'm hungry, #yolo", and the Doctor had to prick my finger to take a little bit of blood. Even hated that.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
How do you feel about donating blood? Do you feel like it's a civic duty? Do you just not bother with it? Or are you somewhere in between? Have you donated before? If not, do you plan to? If you don't want to donate blood, why?
I think donating blood is great. People don't realize how many lives they save by donating blood, so it's very important and meaningful that people take the time to do such a thing.

It's by no means a civic duty, more like a gracious gesture to the medical community and people everywhere. I believe people should be highly encouraged to donate their blood, but they by no means have to. It's not their duty to donate their blood, and they shouldn't be forced to donate if they don't want to.

I don't remember if I've necessarily donated blood before, but if I haven't, I plan to donate in the future, and if I have, I still plan to donate in the future. :)

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I have not had the chance to donate blood yet but I do plan on donating at some point in the foreseeable future. I am all about helping others out any way I can. I'd be up for an organ donation (ie. kidney) if I had the time to do it (sadly school life prevents me) because there are people out there who need a kidney and if I can save their life, then I'm up for it. So blood isn't a problem. I've had blood drawn for tests before so the only difference is how long the needle sits in your arm.

I wouldn't consider it a civic duty but I don't see why anyone shouldn't donate. It's helpful and you feel good when you help other people. If needles scare you, I guess I can understand (my mom donates blood though she has a hard time around needles). Either way, your choice.

SO DONATE :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom