• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dominant Hand Issues

I don't know if this is just me... and even though i'm right handed I'm saying this, but am I the only one slightly annoyed that Link's going right handed? I know I've argued with people about his personality but one of the things that's always stood out for him was the fact that he was left handed. Am I the only one bugged by this?

They should have an option for setting him as right or left handed since it is motion controls, beyond that though I never really ever paid attention to it and it doesn't really bother me at all what hand he uses. Hey, for all we know maybe what makes the hero unique is that he is ambidextrous as opposed to being simple left handed ;)

I know that Nintendo said that there won't be an option to toggle the hand in which the remote is held, but isn't the wii remote always in the right hand, no matter the game? The way the nunchuck is shaped looks like it was formed more the the shape of the left hand. Seems like switching up would be like wearing shoes on the wrong feet.

But I can tell you that it will probably work out. The swinging of the sword is just simple arm motions. The problem with dominance is more in the wrists and if you have control over movement, but if the motions are large, it really won't be difficult for a lefty. Might take a little getting used to, maybe--but not as much getting used to holding th wiimote in the left hand.

As for Link himself, that's pretty much the only reason why he's right-handed on the Wii... but I did notice that he still holds the bow like a lefty. I'm not sure about the other items, but that shouldn'g be much of a problem, either because of the WiiMotion Plus and nunchuck. It's all about the ease and comfort with the controls.

Last edited:
I never understood why anyone would care what hand link uses. Its all about control here. Its really insignificant to me.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
It's true that most of the global population may be right-handed, making it harder for lefties to play it without having to adjust, but I don't see how being discontent about the issue will solve anything. To me, it's trivial since nothing's going to be changed. I mean not to be insensitive, but Nintendo already has the game ready to be distributed, and I doubt they'll delay it any further to mirror the controls.

Handedness is a hilarious argument. Only the most petty of Zelda fans care about this when it comes to any game before Skyward Sword. This is the only game so far where it POTENTIALLY matters, due to motion controls. And, as a left-handed person myself, I can confirm anyone that is complaining about it for gameplay reasons is absolutely insane. Is it so hard to hold the nunchuck in your left hand when EVERY OTHER CONSOLE CONTROLLER has it on the left? I'm sorry, I just don't understand these complaints.

OK... I think people are misinterpreting me... I mean the fact that Link is a lefty and the fact that he's going right handed is what bugs me. I know why the controls are why they are because of predominant right handedness. What I'm saying is that Link himself is a lefty, something that's always set him apart from every other hero out there. counting Link I've only seen two left handed heroes. I know it's petty but it's something that has always been Link you know?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
OK... I think people are misinterpreting me... I mean the fact that Link is a lefty and the fact that he's going right handed is what bugs me. I know why the controls are why they are because of predominant right handedness. What I'm saying is that Link himself is a lefty, something that's always set him apart from every other hero out there. counting Link I've only seen two left handed heroes. I know it's petty but it's something that has always been Link you know?

Oh, okay. Well...Nintendo is doing the right thing by switching Link's handedness up. Each Link is the descendent of another, and it's only natural they born right-handed or left-handed, depending on the genetic traits of his parents, I suppose. He'll probably still be a lefty in other games, but in a title like this it's required he's a righty, since the controls pertain to the majority of those with that manual. Unfortunate, but necessary.

I'm a lefty -.- These controls have me a bit scared since I will be using my less-dominant hand, however I look at it as an opportunity to strengthen by mind xD When it comes to Link, I love the fact that he was a lefty, it really made him stand out. What are the odds such a big hero would be left-handed in such a right-handed world? Anyways, I find it disturbing they made him a righty, but very necessary. Obviously, the majority of their audience must be right handed, and it obviously increase sales and reduce any backlash. I'm sure righties will love it, and lefties like myself, will just have to get used to it!

I'm a lefty -.- These controls have me a bit scared since I will be using my less-dominant hand, however I look at it as an opportunity to strengthen by mind xD When it comes to Link, I love the fact that he was a lefty, it really made him stand out. What are the odds such a big hero would be left-handed in such a right-handed world? Anyways, I find it disturbing they made him a righty, but very necessary. Obviously, the majority of their audience must be right handed, and it obviously increase sales and reduce any backlash. I'm sure righties will love it, and lefties like myself, will just have to get used to it!

1. Is Wii the only consoel you have ever played?
2. Do you hold the nunchuck in your right hand?

If you answered "yes" to both, then, and ONLY then, can I understand how the controls scare you. Otherwise... I just have to laugh.

1. Is Wii the only consoel you have ever played?
2. Do you hold the nunchuck in your right hand?

If you answered "yes" to both, then, and ONLY then, can I understand how the controls scare you. Otherwise... I just have to laugh.
Wii is not the only console I've ever played, and I hold the nunchuk in my right hand. But for this game, I want to enjoy the one on one best I can, so I'll probably be holding the nunchuk in my left, meaning swinging with my right, which scares me, got a problem with that ?

Why does it scare you if you're used to playing with an analog stick in your left hand in every other game that isn't on the Wii?
I'm left-handed, too. I get it. A precise action such as writing with your right hand without practice is hard. But simple things like SWINGING A WII REMOTE.. >_> Do you refuse to use your right hand for anything? I don't get it...

Why does it scare you if you're used to playing with an analog stick in your left hand in every other game that isn't on the Wii?
I'm left-handed, too. I get it. A precise action such as writing with your right hand without practice is hard. But simple things like SWINGING A WII REMOTE.. >_> Do you refuse to use your right hand for anything? I don't get it...
I'M NOT VERY COORDINATED OK ? xD I never use my write hand, EVER, one time I was holding the phone with my left hand and stirring a pot with my right, thinking it'd be simple, and everything ended up on the floor at the end, so I just have trouble xD I don't even know how it'll be when I'm actually playing, for all I know I'll find it easy as can be, but just thinking of it makes me uneasy

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As much as I agree that there should be the option, it's actually not that hard to use the Wii remote in one's off-hand. Take me, for instance. I can't use my left hand worth a flip. I can't throw, write, slap people up the backside of the head...you name it. I can't do it with my left hand. But I can use the Wii remote with my left hand. And not just the waggle movements, I can use the Wii Motion Plus with it. Why? Because the motions don't have to be ridiculously large, especially with Skyward Sword. With SS's Motion Plus, the swings can be very lazy and Link still swings with the same amount of force as one with the torque of a Brett Favre throw. Nintendo did this for a reason. So that all ages could play it. And with what I said about the left hand/right hand thing, I really don't think there's any reason for the lefties to worry about not being able to play the game properly. I'm confident anyone with working arms and the ability to move can play this game and beat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom