• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Zelda Really Need Music?

Would You Want A Lack Of Music In Zelda?

• I just want Zelda to remain as it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Music all the way!

• Music for cutscenes and major battles only

• Complete silence and solitude

• Total voters

Garo

Boy Wonder
This actually reminds me of the downloadable game Limbo. There are no background noises which produces a chilling effect as an enemy pops out of nowhere. I don't believe Zelda is a post apocalyptic game, however, and translating the series in your vision would be a far steer from what it has always represented-a triumph of good over evil.

Seemingly it has been about that; but we've seen numerous examples of fallen kingdoms before. We've seen the mysterious Kingdom of Ikana, where terrible things happened that we know nothing of; we've seen a Hyrule buried under the sea by the gods its people prayed to; we've seen a ghost-filled ruinous prison, its wardens and prisoners mysteriously absent. These areas are often lauded as the best areas in their respective games; why not center an entire game around these mysterious ruins, and devote the story to finding out what darkness still plagues the land?

The soundtrack can be muted as it was during the Demise battle for instance but ditching sound entirely would alienate a plethora of fans. There is a reason Nintendo organized a 25th Anniversary Concert, Zelda's music is just as grand as its gameplay and story.

This is true. But if you look at the series so far, there have actually been moments like this already.

Who can forget the first time they walked out of the Temple of Time as an adult, to see the ring of fire around the top of Death Mountain? I certainly can't - that was an incredible moment, seeing the way that everything had changed in the seven years Link had been asleep. But do you remember the musical silence there? The overpowering ambient noise? It was chilling. Equally, who can forget the moments just before, walking up to the Master Sword for the first time? But do you remember the musical silence there?

Even in a game with a highly praised musical pedigree, silent moments are often the most powerful.

Seemingly it has been about that; but we've seen numerous examples of fallen kingdoms before. We've seen the mysterious Kingdom of Ikana, where terrible things happened that we know nothing of; we've seen a Hyrule buried under the sea by the gods its people prayed to; we've seen a ghost-filled ruinous prison, its wardens and prisoners mysteriously absent. These areas are often lauded as the best areas in their respective games; why not center an entire game around these mysterious ruins, and devote the story to finding out what darkness still plagues the land?

This is true. But if you look at the series so far, there have actually been moments like this already.

Who can forget the first time they walked out of the Temple of Time as an adult, to see the ring of fire around the top of Death Mountain? I certainly can't - that was an incredible moment, seeing the way that everything had changed in the seven years Link had been asleep. But do you remember the musical silence there? The overpowering ambient noise? It was chilling. Equally, who can forget the moments just before, walking up to the Master Sword for the first time? But do you remember the musical silence there?

Even in a game with a highly praised musical pedigree, silent moments are often the most powerful.

When everything is silent, how do we sense when those moments of profound silence are? If OoT didn't have any music, how much power would the moment you mentioned lose?

As to the ruins idea, it sounds distinctly un-Zelda to me. MM was full of dark, scary stuff, as was TP. but what helped that stand out was the happy stuff that defines Zelda just as much. Can't have shadows without light.

In conclusion, I believe that silence should be used at key points. silence is 0. Without other numbers, 0 is nothing. but when used in conjuction with 1, and 74, and so on, 0 is very, very powerful.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Music is one of the main features of the Zelda game and it is what most of us remember about a Zelda game!

When i think Wind Waker i think of the Great Sea theme, when i think Majoras Mask i think of the Song of Healing, when i think of a Link to the Past i think of the main theme Etc. Zelda for me is not complete without music and therefore it should stay indefinably and even though that did work for SotC and ICO it may not be the same for Zelda as the games are very different adventure games.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Of course it needs music, it builds dramatic mood, it sets the tone for the event, imagine running through Hryule field in silence, it would be very boring.

When everything is silent, how do we sense when those moments of profound silence are? If OoT didn't have any music, how much power would the moment you mentioned lose?

Exactly. The series already does this. Like the example previously stated. Music should not be used when it is appropriate and used when it is appropriate. Mostly silence would be not be right.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I think that everything should just stay as it is and there should be music almost all of the time. I understand how not implementing music and just letting the player listen to the background sounds could add to the atmosphere, but music sets the mood and the tone for the various different settings and situations and with the music being as good as it has been, especially in the older titles, it adds to the quality and replayability of the games. Could you imagine if the music in any of these games never existed? It'd feel like there'd be a lot missing.

I think some segments go pretty well without music though. For example, the interior of the moon in MM before you fight Majora; that worked really well and added to the serene, peaceful atmosphere.

Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time. However, the silence presented when exploring that world existed to heighten the atmosphere of loneliness that the developers were trying to create, and to make the loud orchestral masterpieces that played during the Boss battles seem even grander by comparison. When looking back on that game, I remember the Boss battles, I hardly remember the overworld segments.

Music plays a big role in how we remember things in video games, it is easier for us to associate a certain location or encounter in a video game with a certain musical piece than it may be for us to associate with the actions themselves (as any action in a video game can be executed in numerous possible ways). Music is also an effective way to create an atmosphere. Silence, or even really subtle and quiet music, can create a feeling of loneliness (like in Shadow of the Colossus or, at least in my opinion, the Silent Realm in Skyward Sword). However, The Zelda series is not one to try and convey those darker emotions, it tries to present an atmosphere of adventure and grandeur exploration, an atmosphere portrayed by pieces such as Hyrule Field's theme from Ocarina of Time, or The Flying Theme from Skyward Sword.

Music is an important part of the Zelda series that defines many parts of the series, and unless the series truly tries going in a new direction, I don't see any need to be rid of it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love Zelda's music, but the latest entry, Skyward Sword, had less than memorable tracks. I realize that the music doesn't appeal to all, and I also realize a very easy solution:

Nintendo, give us the following options in the Option Menu: Music FX and Game FX.

Easy fix. Don't like the music? Shut the music off, you will still have ambient noises in the BG if you like. Don't like the ambiance? Turn the Game FX all the way down. Simple, easy solution.

Of course the Zelda series doesn't need music. It's a nice, welcome addition, but it's not like the series would be nothing without it; it helps set the tone and serves some other purposes, but in the scheme of things it isn't all that imperative to the success of the franchise. I am very fond of the music in Zelda, but saying it is necessary is going a bit too far; half the time when I'm playing one of the handheld games, I don't even have the volume on, and I still enjoy the games very much. That being said, I'd be distraught if music was completely omitted from the series. Overall, the music is a contributing factor to the mood and overall feel of every part of the games, but it is not a profound enough factor to be considered a need for the series' success.

Is this even a question? Music is a major component in Zelda games.

Silence and solitude work for Shadow of the Colossus and ICO because the world and story for those games are built off of those factors. In Zelda, you're constantly talking to newly discovered characters, walking through colorful or dark areas, and encountering new things at every turn. Music adds atmosphere, and the atmosphere in Zelda doesn't require silence. SotC and ICO use silence because their worlds are grand, dead, and cursed. All you hear is the sound of your own footsteps and the woosh of the wind, and it works but only because the games center themselves around atmosphere.

Edit: And I might as well add, silence has been used in the Zelda series before. After Lanayru Mining Facility, you walk into a minecart room where all you see are giant statues lit up by blooming blue neon lights. The silence works there because the area speaks for itself, but that doesn't mean silence works for all areas in Zelda.

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I understand what you're getting at, but to me it just seems too dull. Maybe it would work in specific areas of the game, but not throughout every section of it.

Humm.. it would be hard to Imagin a Zelda game without the Music. but will it feel the same? well Next time you do play a Zelda game, Mute it and see if it feels the same. To me Music is a Major Component to a Zeda game. things will not feel the same for example. Sacret Grove in TP, Ganon's Castle in TP and OOT Etc. but thats just my opinion everybody is diffident. Nintendo should make an option to adjust the Audio to our likeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom