• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Zelda Really Need Music?

Would You Want A Lack Of Music In Zelda?

• I just want Zelda to remain as it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Music all the way!

• Music for cutscenes and major battles only

• Complete silence and solitude

• Total voters

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I apologize in advance if there are any threads like this. If one does exist, then please contact me with a link so that I may lock this thread, or have it merged with the original. Thank you. :)

Something that I've been pondering lately is the need for music in a Zelda game, for when the player is out exploring. The music is important for establishing an atmosphere for an area and evoking emotion from the player. But have you ever considered what it might be like if it was replaced by a chorus of backdrop noises? Instead of a mellow dedicated tune for a forest area, we could hear the leaves crunching beneath Link's feet, birds chirping from the treetops, and crickets playing nearby. Or rather than a desolate melody for a desert, Link's stomps on the sand and a breeze blowing by would dominate our senses.

This idea stemmed from the discussing the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus games a few weeks back. Both titles are respectively famous for implementing environmental sounds in the place of music to draw out the solitude of a landscape, and the curiosity to explore it. However music was used in the games, but only during cutscenes or significant battle sequences. That way the player's experience was uninterrupted yet left open for interpretation via the silence.

Note: Below are two videos which showcase the solitude of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. You may want to turn up the volume some so that the environmental feel can be taken in at its best.

ICO:
[video=youtube;RVvWYiJpOCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkYThU-NtlY&feature=related[/video]

Shadow of the Colossus:
[video=youtube;joJeKZQS8-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJeKZQS8-Y&feature=related[/video]

Personally I think it would work on par with the Zelda series in several ways. But the biggest issue I'd have with it, along with many others I'm sure, is the probability of the adventure becoming mediocre too quickly. It would be best—should this method even be used—if it was saved for a darker Zelda title, which is intended to put the player on edge. That utter feeling of isolation coupled with bands of fearsome enemies would be the precedent for a truly invigorating yet frightening game.

The only hitch, though, is that music could be used in the major battles—such as Boss battles—and every cutscene throughout the game. It would all flow into a seamless story empowered by the evocative stillness of the overworld and locales branching from it.

At last, I would like to know your thoughts on this. Would the solitude of a music-less Zelda atmosphere work out well in your opinion? Or would it change your experience too much to the point that it wouldn't even feel like a Zelda title, in your mind?

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
of course it does need music. as every video game/movie needs. Soundtrack is one of the things I most value on a video game after story.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Zelda absolutely needs music in it's games. It gives the area a certain atmosphere, and really sets the mood. It's vital that there's music present to actually make it seem that there's a sense of adventure occurring. Although silence can sometimes really set the tone of a dungeon, it's just better if there's fitting music playing.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Music sets the tone for any area period. If games and movies didn't have music, they wouldn't provide the emotion intended. Plain and simple. Music ftw.

This is certainly false. Music is one of many ways to convey emotion; it is not the sole way. Good artists can do as much with silence as they can with music. As Thaerous mentioned in his post, a lack of music can create a strong feeling of isolation, particularly when combined with stellar ambient sound design.

Further, musical silence can draw attention to other elements of the sound. In Fritz Lang's classic German expressionist film M, there are long stretches where there is absolutely no sound at all. In many other cases, there is sound, but only the diegetic whistling of "In the Hall of the Mountain King", the calling card of the serial killer in the film. The film as a result is one of the most tense and nerve-wracking films to date, and it was made in the 1930s.

I answered "Complete silence and solitude" in the above poll because it would so well match my ideal vision for a Zelda game; a new world, barren and lifeless, completely open, with a backstory about the fall of a great civilization told as Link explores the desolate landscape. Music would kill the experience; absence says more than presence in this place, and a lack of music thematically and emotionally supports that.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I am a HUGE fan of music in Zelda games. If there wasn't so much of a focus on music in Zelda, it's highly unlikely that I'd like the series as much as I do now.

However, I do see your point. I can imagine in some particularly suspenseful or quiet moments, there could be silent places without music. But personally, I definitely would need SOME music, at least, for it to feel like a Zelda game. I'm not voting yet; I can't decide.

I really like ICO and SotC's use of the ambience of their worlds, it was fresh and felt like a natural experience while traveling, especially in SotC.

Music is a big factor in visual entertainment but there have been times when the absence of music is just as powerful, There is a film called 'No Country For Old Men' and that doesn't have any music at all but its not until you get to the silent credits that you realise that fact. I think it'd be nice to at least push the music down while traveling in Zelda just to see what Zelda's world in its own right can do. SotC had some very very beautiful landscapes and Zelda does too.

Zelda HD would be wonderful time to try this out, the environments could really speak for themselves... but purists and fan-boys may pull against the change (if they notice). However music is as much a staple Zelda as Link himself, and it still is aimed at a family audience whereas SotC was obviously aimed at people with minds developed enough to see the point in the world and realise its powerful emotional on its own merits. Zelda has spent too long hitting you with every element, unique visuals, familiar music and characters so that you don't feel out of place. A Zelda with little music would probably annoy people. But I'm all for it.

That being said there is nothing wrong with most of Zelda's music and if the ocean theme had not been in WW i think a lot of people would feel a lot less love for it.

By the same token, Metroid Prime boasts some absolutely beautiful locations; the crashed frigate Orpheon later on in the game has underwater light that give an ethereal snse of things, corpses of dead soldiers float on the surface in silhouette, Tallon overworld is fall of gorgeous waterfalls and unique plantlife that just looks beautiful in the rain and then there is Phendrana Drifts, one of the most beautiful places i've ever seen in a game, and each time during my visits to these places i was very aware of the music, the music enhanced the lev of beauty even further in a masterful way.

And while i don't think Zelda's music enhances the feel of the game like Metroid does, there is always going to be a next time for Zelda to try.

But yeah, Link is a lonely guy when he travels, lets have the sound design mirror it. =]

The third option-Music for cutscenes and major battles only-seems rather awkward therefore I discount its institution. No videogame does that and it would appear a strange transition for the Zelda franchise.

I'd like for music to remain as is. The soundtrack always sets the tempo for a new environment. Take note of Castle Town from Ocarina of Time. The emitted sounds cast a joyous vibe which complements the partying people and general air of light-heartedness. With the move to orchestration in Skyward Sword, a more resounding ambient tone leave its lasting imprint on the powerful and dynamic characters.

GaroXicon said:
I answered "Complete silence and solitude" in the above poll because it would so well match my ideal vision for a Zelda game; a new world, barren and lifeless, completely open, with a backstory about the fall of a great civilization told as Link explores the desolate landscape. Music would kill the experience; absence says more than presence in this place, and a lack of music thematically and emotionally supports that.

This actually reminds me of the downloadable game Limbo. There are no background noises which produces a chilling effect as an enemy pops out of nowhere. I don't believe Zelda is a post apocalyptic game, however, and translating the series in your vision would be a far steer from what it has always represented-a triumph of good over evil. The soundtrack can be muted as it was during the Demise battle for instance but ditching sound entirely would alienate a plethora of fans. There is a reason Nintendo organized a 25th Anniversary Concert, Zelda's music is just as grand as its gameplay and story.

tlozoot

the evil even Link fears
I voted music all the way because it adds to the game.
and i also agree with heroine of time that it just adds to the game.
but i do think they should make various kinds of music in different places.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Music is one of my favourite aspects of the Zelda series, I wouldn't love Zelda as much as I do if it didn't have the music. It can be integrated into the gameplay (as in OoT) and really enhance the experience.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The third option-Music for cutscenes and major battles only-seems rather awkward therefore I discount its institution. No videogame does that and it would appear a strange transition for the Zelda franchise.

Actually two gaming series that I know of have done that, and they were both mentioned in the Opening Post:

This idea stemmed from the discussing the ICO and Shadow of the Colossus games a few weeks back. Both titles are respectively famous for implementing environmental sounds in the place of music to draw out the solitude of a landscape, and the curiosity to explore it. However music was used in the games, but only during cutscenes or significant battle sequences. That way the player's experience was uninterrupted yet left open for interpretation via the silence.

Let's face it, Zelda's music is becoming more and more atmospheric anyhow; it's certainly not as "out there" and memorable as it was in Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time. But discarding it for at least one game opens up the independence for the player as he or she roams a vast world, where the sounds of nature provide the intended mood. It might even expand on the immersive qualities of a Zelda game. Who can really know? For one thing, nonetheless, it's not going to affect the core structure of the series' formula; rather it would give it all the more sustenance. Just something other than we're used to. So again, if they did this for one game at least, I'd like to see how the absence of music during out-in-the-world gameplay is employed. Saving the music for cutscenes and big battles could be a good thing in my mind.

Zelda's music is still quite memorable IMO. I wasn't a fan of the TP soundtrack but SS was pretty killer actually. I don't agree with saving it for just cutscenes and big battles. I think there are times where music can help many situations outside of cutscenes and big battles. Lack of music can heighten certain periods of the game. That I can agree with, but I think without music the game would be too generic.

Plus the music is my favorite aspect of the series. So I would be sad without it.

Dan

You could easily set both options for a future Zelda game. It's all down to opinion at the end of the day. While I can appreciate ambiance, I much prefer music. As Gooey pointed out the music is memorable and in my opinion part of why we love the series so much. I don't think we would really have a discussion or so about how nice it sounded when Link was stomping around in the desert. I feel music is an excellent way to portray emotion, but so is ambiance. So why restrict yourself of tools when you can use both. So my answer would be yes. Yes I do think the Zelda games need music. Music also helps to identify parts of the game and gives it that flavor.

Let's not forget it can also set themes for characters and may bring joy to our hearts ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom