• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Does Zelda Ever Remind You of a Really Good Disney Movie?

So I started playing Skyward Sword again, for probably the fourth time and I noticed something. Now of course y'all can go off blasting me on this, it's not something I want everyone to think about but just an expression of what I noticed...

So since we've all been playing the same game I can at least backtrack and explain myself further on what I have examined.
So I have this big obsession with animation, have had it for years and been eyeing the Disney movies up and down, examining them and tracking their style from one movie to the next.
I have said before that Zelda has inspired me to draw and was probably the match that lit the creative fires in my brain, from the beautiful tones in every game manual to the enchanting art style, it was just a recipe for me to cook with.

Now eventually Skyward Sword came along, beautiful game, beautiful art style I fell in love with from the very beginning. Right from the beginning of the game I came to realize that this was a story driven Zelda experience. Like I'm not saying it's the only one, Twilight Princess had it's share of cinematic moments. Skyward Sword though was pushing it, Nintendo finally realized they had a chance to go deeper into the Zelda lore and bring this series to a lush bloom.
I'm sure you've all experienced these cinematics the way I have?

[video=youtube;rKpP_ZQUA8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKpP_ZQUA8Y[/video]​

It's beautiful, it's engrossing, something I haven't felt in a Zelda game before. There were a few of these moments in Twilight Princess, I'll give it that. Sadly it just didn't feel like I was in the right place, I felt rushed and at times a little impatient. Once I got to the City in the Sky I just wanted the game to be over, it was a short game but it seemed to trail on and on at times.
I love Twilight Princess, I really do, I just didn't get the feelings I got when I played this game.
Before I babble on and on about the comparisons between the cutscenes and atmosphere I want to get back to my topic. I know this a little long to read but it's been on my mind for a few months now.
Skyward Sword reminds me of a Disney movie, not those crappy sequels that come after the first real good theatrical Disney movie, the first Disney movies. Like, you have The Lion King 2: Simbas Pride, it's this movie I wouldn't want to sit through again, I enjoyed it as a kid but I wouldn't be able to watch it after the first Lion King.

Every Disney movie before it has a sequel is always a treat, you have this tale that you are familiar with, Disney leaves nothing out and gave kids the realization that there is happiness but once that is taken away by death or overrule you have to fight and take it back to make everything right again. The hero is always an unlikely one, sometimes the princess ends up being the hero, it isn't always the prince coming in and destroying the villain. It's a bad comparison but that's what you have in the Zelda series, Princess Zelda is always getting captured and being held against her will but her entity is never really gone, she always there in some form or another to help Link.

In Skyward Sword we have this entrance into the Zelda series where we meet the unlikely beginnings, the true intro to a series we have all enjoyed over the years. It's presented to us in this beautiful style with these colorful characters. Even before all these we have that amazing introduction when we first boot up Skyward Sword, the tale of the Goddess Hylia and how she basically rose her people up into the sky.

[video=youtube;rGp_wHvaHdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGp_wHvaHdM[/video]​

It reminded me of the introduction from Beauty and the Beast, the amazing stain glass window storybook sequence, it was haunting but gave you that epic fairytale feeling. Granted I was child, this kind of stuff threw me through the walls. We seen this kind of intro back in Wind Waker as well, and Phantom Hourglass.

[video=youtube;NCKUR_XBNYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKUR_XBNYk[/video]​

Again, another dark haunting tale but the thing that made it spectacular is that we lived through it in Ocarina of Time, we all knew where this was going and what it was about, it was a true sequel and it made us feel like it was all connected right?
I'm trying to remember more things, but everything right now is all coming from my experience playing Skyward Sword. I guess it's the same for every story out there but It seems more clearer with this game I don't know why.
Also I posted a spoiler because of that clip from Skyward Sword..
But yeah, has anyone else kind of noticed this? I know a lot of people on the board here think Anime is superior and even though Zelda has that same style I just find it expressive in that nature.

hmmm.
I'm not sure about it. I dont think Zelda reminds me of disney at all.
But I do see where your going and I like the fact about how big this article is :).
Personally I would love to see a Zelda movie.
Wether it be Anime (Which I <3) or pixar it would be good.
But if there where gonna make a movie the one rule is DONT GIVE LINK A VOICE!

hmmm.
I'm not sure about it. I dont think Zelda reminds me of disney at all.
But I do see where your going and I like the fact about how big this article is :).
Personally I would love to see a Zelda movie.
Wether it be Anime (Which I <3) or pixar it would be good.
But if there where gonna make a movie the one rule is DONT GIVE LINK A VOICE!
I'm scared of Zelda becoming an anime, I don't think it would be as serious as the games are. Oh and they'd probably do that annoying gasp EVERY anime character does.

[video=youtube;YW9jkFBqj38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW9jkFBqj38[/video]

It's at the very end if you don't know what I'm talking about haha.

I'm scared of Zelda becoming an anime, I don't think it would be as serious as the games are.

Zelda, serious? What games have you been playing?

On topic: I've never seen any Disney movie that I regard as a decent movie, so I can't really make that comparison in my mind. Zelda really doesn't remind me at all of Disney, so I guess I don't really draw the same conclusion as you. I've seen your evidence and such, but I guess I just regarded the aspects of the games that you pointed out in a somewhat different light.

Last edited:
Zelda, serious? What games have you been playing?
Hmm, light hearted as Zelda can be sometimes most of the games have an aphotic core that would rival what most gamers consider Zelda to be. I guess I just see the games differently from a creative writing student point of view, every Zelda game I've played has drawn me in closer to examine and tear apart the story for analysis so I would consider all of them serious, maybe excluding The Minish Cap.

Why are you scared I mean really Zelda already has enough gasps in the game and they don't have to but any gasps in.
They could like a studio Ghibli style which would really great.

Psykeout

Bill Clinton
I have a secret dream that Disney makes a Zelda movie, and it's just an old woman telling several stories about the history of hyrule, each story using different art styles, and centering around different incarnations of Zelda and Link, with the theme being that there are lots of ways to be a hero, and then at the end of the movie, we see that the woman was telling the story to two little kids who look like Zelda and Link.

Shhh let me have this fantasy I know it's dumb

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom