• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Waking the Winds Mess Up Trade?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
An online friend of mine recently played Wind Waker and fell in love. She says she's sure it will always be her favorite Zelda game because she lost her "Zelda virginity" to it. She must play other games now. Anyway, in our talking about it, she raised a question that I told her "Everyone raises this question, or at least my guy and I were making fun of the whole thing when I was playing the game."

When Link manipulates the winds, how does that effect the rest of the world? Does it effect it at all? I mean, isn't he totally messing up the world's climate by doing that? Messing up trade for the merchant ships and causing shipwrecks with all his sudden wind-current changes? Or, as my friend asks "What about the poor Rito postman?" - I envisioned a fan fiction or fan comic that has him setting out to his duties, riding the wind, only to have it suddenly change on him and send him smacking into a rock.

I don't think Nintendo thought too hard about it. Wind-changing was a game device to help you - the Hero.

Those of us who are into overall story and worldbuilding, however, are left scratching our heads.

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
I don't think that Nintendo thought about it effecting the world and in the game I doubt it effects the world it probably only effects where you are. I could effect the rest of the world but I don't think Nintendo made it that way if they did than who knows but yeah I am pretty much just agreeing with JuicieJ hey so yeah.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I always thought the people were just oblivious to it. Even in our world, we get breezes, gusts of wind, that go in all different directions. It's normal to us.

Lupine

Sacred Beast
I never really thought that people would notice it. It's a magical world that's going through troubled times, after all. The only real effect I can see Link's meddling with the wind is if some poor old fool happened to be sailing in the opposite direction ;)

That and Link's constant changing day to night and night to day.

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
Think of all the poor children who, while flying their kites, are suddenly JERKED in the opposite direction because ol' Link just HAD to sail.

;)

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
Hehehe.... I suppose this is one of those moments where the gamer is to "suspend their disbelief". However, there are multiple likely answers. The first is by far the most obvious possibility, being that the Wind itself only flows in that direction for Link's immediate area. Consider it a single stream of gusts lent to him, as opposed to altering the world wide climate. Remember, just because it's windy in one area of the world, it does not necessarily mean that it will be the same strength or direction in another.
If, by chance, it did affect the entire area covered in the Wind Waker, then I doubt the consequences would be catastrophic. Why is this? Remember, the world of TWW is a seafaring society. Unexpected changes in weather or wind direction are all daily issues for these people. Their culture is designed to conquer the sea, so I would expect the unnatural changing of the wind to be annoying, but nothing more. Even so, as was said above, a great deal of the people are not involved with the sea, so such a change would either go unnoticed or be passed off as unimportant.
Either way, this is a great comic opportunity... I'd do it, but I suppose I'll let someone else this time. This is quite a comical topic, though.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I would think the day changing into night/night changing into day would be more disconcerting. It's not uncommon for wind to change direction drastically, but it would be extremely uncommon for day to suddenly change to night at some random time or vice versa.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I always figured that the day/night thing in the games that have that ability were such that it only affected Link - that, to the normal citizens, it was just as if a normal day had passed, that it was only "on speed" for Link.

I've thought that too. When Link changes day to night, people are just sleeping in their beds... and when Link changes night to day, people are up and about like any other day. I guess it's kinda weird, but I suppose it doesn't have to make sense! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom