• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does the Triforce of Power Always Go to a Villain (or Can the Triforce Change Allegiances?)

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
I have been wondering: what would happen if the Triforces chose others? Like, “I think we should see other people, Link.” Any thoughts?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Ganondorf was the person who represents power the most when he touched the triforce so it remained with him and the other pieces split to those who best represented their own values of courage and wisdom respectively (Though why wisdom went to Zelda I am not sure. Her naivety was what allowed Ganondorf to desecrate the triforce with his filthy hands in the first place) If he were balanced and not evil he would have had his wish granted and the triforce would have remained whole.

He appears to be the destined wielder throughout time and therefore it will always choose him as he best represents power.

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
Ganondorf was the person who represents power the most when he touched the triforce so it remained with him and the other pieces split to those who best represented their own values of courage and wisdom respectively (Though why wisdom went to Zelda I am not sure. Her naivety was what allowed Ganondorf to desecrate the triforce with his filthy hands in the first place) If he were balanced and not evil he would have had his wish granted and the triforce would have remained whole.

He appears to be the destined wielder throughout time and therefore it will always choose him as he best represents power.
Zelda got the Triforce of Wisdom because she was the only one smart enough to realize that Ganondorf was evil, even at a young age.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Zelda got the Triforce of Wisdom because she was the only one smart enough to realize that Ganondorf was evil, even at a young age.

Not necessarily the only one as Darunia and The Deku Tree suspected him also but if you have ever seen or read A series of Unfortunate events almost all adults are portrayed as woefully incompetent and OOT is much the same way. Even when a man so evil he has turned green rocks up only a few even notice it.

Perhaps the triforce piece chose her due to her capacity to learn from her mistakes.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Here's how I look at the virtues of the Triforce. Whether or not they add some insight is all up to you.

If there's a need for someone to act, yet they do nothing, that is cowardice, not courage. Courage is the opposite of cowardice, the ability to act despite extreme pain, fear, or danger. Thus, to wield courage effectively, it only makes sense in the hands of the just.

Wisdom is recognizing and understanding what is the right or just course of action based on factual evidence, experience, and insight. If there's a need for wisdom, the wise do not selfishly hoard their knowledge to exalt themselves. Thus, a truly wise person is just.

Power is the ability to have great influence, authority, and the ability to act. A just person can wield power, but power better not be their only quality or virtue. Thus, only a just person can be trusted to wield power effectively.

This is why the idea of balance is so important with the Triforce. Each virtue reinforces and strengthens the other. In this case, one cannot hope to achieve true power if they lack the wisdom to recognize what is the just and right course of action.

Which brings me to my point. Ganon is pure evil, and thus cannot comprehend what is right and just, thus, he cannot wield the Triforce effectively, and since he craves power most of all, he shows affinity towards the Triforce of Power, which I think is a corruption of the virtue of power.

This idea is very Medieval, and reinforced in, of all places, an early 15th century fencing manuscript by Fiore dei Liberi called Fiore di Battaglia.

In the treatise, we see this, along with the virtues that Fiore thinks make for a good fencer.

MS Ludwig XV 13 32r.jpg

We are four animals with these features:
Whoever wants to fence makes comparisons to us;

And whoever will have a good portion of our virtues
Will have honor in weapons, as bespeaks the art.

This Master with these swords signifies the seven blows of the sword. And the four animals signify four virtues, that is prudence, celerity, fortitude, and audacity. And whoever wants to be good in this art should have part in these virtues.

Prudence/Wisdom:

No creature sees better than me, the Lynx.
And I always set things in order with compass and measure.

Celerity/Speed:

I, the tiger, am so swift to run and to wheel
That even the bolt from the sky cannot overtake me.

Courage/Daring:

None carries a more ardent heart than me, the lion,
But to everyone I make an invitation to battle.

Fortitude/Strength:

I am the elephant and I carry a castle as cargo,
And I do not kneel nor lose my footing.

--Fiore dei Liberi, Fiore di Battaglia.

Notice the three virtues, along with another added (speed or swiftness) are all present and reinforced.

To a swordsman, strength means the ability to defend, and to not kneel or lose your footing, as well as actual physical strength.

To a swordsman, wisdom is precision, carrying out a plan of action with careful calculation.

To a swordsman, courage is having the heart to not back down, even when wisdom says we ought to. To a swordsman, courage is honor.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Point being, I think because the games have Ganon have the Triforce of Power, that has really skewed our view as to what the Triforce of Power is. Power doesn't mean evil or corruption. In the hands of the just, power is nothing more than the ability to act with honor and truth.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
My answer: we don't really know.

The question of how the Triforce is distributed is kind of like the question of who can lift the Master Sword. We've never seen anyone else attempt to do so or be given access to any aspect of the Triforce, so we don't know if it's capable of going to someone who isn't Ganon, Link, or Zelda. I think it's a given that people other than those three are capable of bravery, wisdom, and power, but Zelda is a bit simple in how it deals with that lore.

Technically Link and the King of Hyrule have both wielded the full Triforce, one piece of which is the Triforce of Power. After Zelda 1, Zelda also was able to move the Triforce of Power, but I guess we don't know if she wielded it. Everytime someone with an unbalanced heart has touched the Triforce (in OoT, the Oracle games, and for some reason in TP), power has gone to Ganondorf. If someone with an unbalanced heart were to touch the Triforce when Ganondorf (or a villain seeking power) was not present, or alive, then it would go to whoever most represented power (probably the King of Hyrule or the Zora or the chief of the gorons or something...not very many people have "power" as one of their virtues."

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
Technically Link and the King of Hyrule have both wielded the full Triforce, one piece of which is the Triforce of Power. After Zelda 1, Zelda also was able to move the Triforce of Power, but I guess we don't know if she wielded it. Everytime someone with an unbalanced heart has touched the Triforce (in OoT, the Oracle games, and for some reason in TP), power has gone to Ganondorf. If someone with an unbalanced heart were to touch the Triforce when Ganondorf (or a villain seeking power) was not present, or alive, then it would go to whoever most represented power (probably the King of Hyrule or the Zora or the chief of the gorons or something...not very many people have "power" as one of their virtues."
I meant if someone else were to separate the Triforce like Ganondorf did, but got left with, say, Wisdom, and a hero had Power, and Zelda had Courage. Is that a possible scenari? Because I always thought of it as the Triforce doesn’t pick good or evil, but instead, as some people have mentioned, more of which trait you represent best. That is why Ganondorf got left with the Triforce of Power.

Mongoose

Demo Spec
Sounds about right, when you think about it there is no other way to really break it down, Ganon is always power hungry, Link is the one that always has the courage to challenge and stop him, and Zelda is always the one supporting Link.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I have no doubt that the ToP could go to somebody good. When Ganondorf touched the triforce in OoT he was unable to wield all of it, and the Triforce gave him the one that best suites his personality (Goddeses gave him one of those which-triforce-piece-are-you buzfeed quizzes ig). Because Ganon has since refused to die his connection with the ToP hasn't died either. In theory, someone else could use it. They'd just have to lack both wisdom and courage like Ganondorf so that the triforce would split instead of them getting all of it. Or, somebody else splits it.
Another slightly related question I have is why do the Goddesses even let Ganondorf use it? I'm not even talking about the fact that Ganondorf uses it for evil. I mean the fact that Ganon is the literal holder of Demise's power/curse, his malice. They should have put some form of safety on there, considering everything. Dudes already holds the power of the incarnation of evil he doesn't need your power too.

I dunno is this is really relevant to the discussion, perhaps on a tangent, but something I've always wondered/thought about that never seems to be addressed is that the Triforce seems to have two modes? Because theoretically if someone with an unbalanced heart touching the Triforce makes it split, then that person would never be able to touch the Triforce to make a wish because it always would split. Reforming the Triforce to make a wish seems to somehow nullify this process of splitting?

Another thing to consider with the above is that, does Link have an imbalanced heart that leans most toward courage or is his heart balanced, while also happening to be the most representative of courage at the same time, and his alignment for wisdom and power matches his courage? Does his ability to wish on the Triforce in A Link to the Past indicate anything of the balance of his heart, or why he was able to wield the Triforce of Wisdom in Zelda I?

Just kind of rambling but I find it interesting that the Triforce splitting seems very circumstantial. In the Wind Waker you could say that perhaps it doesn't split upon being reformed because it isn't in the Sacred Realm, but that doesn't explain A Link to the Past nor A Link Between Worlds. Are all people who have wished upon the Triforce in known Zelda lore, those with balanced hearts? Why was Ganon able to wish upon the Triforce in A Link to the Past? What is the criteria that would prevent the Triforce from splitting upon being touched by Ganon a second time, unless it is somehow sentient or records how many times it's been touched by an individual?

Anyway, uh, I think there's a lot more to the Triforce that has never really been examined, and I think this particular aspect of the Triforce's "behavior" should be understood before really saying whether or not it chooses the same people by design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom