• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Does the Timeline even matter for BotW?

http://www.gamepur.com/news/25546-legend-zelda-breath-wild-features-more-smaller-dungeons.html

Anouma pretty much confirmed the timeline placement won't play a big part in the story of the game. Maybe you will see some connections of what the world used to be, and which Zelda game it fits. But there won't be huge story connections with past games. People can stop with their huge arguments about their possible correctness etc, since the game won't likely even confirm where it goes.

"Discussing timeline, moreover, Aonuma added he'd like each and every player to work that out once he has the game in his hands." Isn't that quite the opposite of what you just said? He is deliberately trying to make it play a BIG part of the story when you will (supposedly) figure it out yourself somewhere in the story. He also says: "I wouldn’t say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you’ll be able to work out where it fits." Which means that the story will have some (perhaps even alot) of influence from the timeline it belongs to. And most of all: playing the game will confirm where in the timeline BOTW goes.

Last edited:
i really love the Zelda series very very much, my first Zelda game i had was 1 or 2 days after the first game of the series was released in EU
but i never actually cared much about the time line and probably never will because the games were released more or less apart and individually
later an artifical time line was created by Nintendo just to ease and please some whining fans because all of the sudden all the games needed to be connected so Nintendo sought and sought for a way to be able to connect everything, publishing it in a book among some other stuff so they could sell it to gain money

i bought the book though for his whole not really caring about the time line in it, i have seen the time line with its splits and read the text with it, that was rather a long while ago already, i would no longer know much about the time line, nor really care that much for it(repetitive i know)

i hope my post here did not offend anyone and if it did i truly am sorry for it, everyone is free to like what he wants and for those i truly wish them the best with the time line

Aku

"Discussing timeline, moreover, Aonuma added he'd like each and every player to work that out once he has the game in his hands." Isn't that quite the opposite of what you just said? He is deliberately trying to make it play a BIG part of the story when you will (supposedly) figure it out yourself somewhere in the story. He also says: "I wouldn’t say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you’ll be able to work out where it fits." Which means that the story will have some (perhaps even alot) of influence from the timeline it belongs to. And most of all: playing the game will confirm where in the timeline BOTW goes.
What he says is kind of vague, however. It's likely he's saying that it does fit on the timeline, but it's up to the player to determine where it goes. Which is refreshing, because it encourages exploring (for those determined to find where it fits) and lively discussion. I don't really care for the 'official' timeline, and having a game determinedly focused on being it's own thing rather then trying to fit in some predetermined order now that there is an 'official' timeline (like SS tried to do) has me excited.

What he says is kind of vague, however. It's likely he's saying that it does fit on the timeline, but it's up to the player to determine where it goes. Which is refreshing, because it encourages exploring (for those determined to find where it fits) and lively discussion. I don't really care for the 'official' timeline, and having a game determinedly focused on being it's own thing rather then trying to fit in some predetermined order now that there is an 'official' timeline (like SS tried to do) has me excited.

It means that the only timeline related stuff we will get is: It will go >here< and we can conclude that from some asthetics or part of the story. The game won't be designed with that placement in line, so it won't be the follow up story of TP or the origin of majora's mask or something.

Really? I didn't find that vague at all. Given the fact that he says: playing the game (most likely playing a larger portion of the main story) will able you to find out where the game is placed in the timeline - I think it that will influence the game and gaming experience a lot.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

What I would personally love to see is a redo of the lore of the series. I mean, if they turned BoTW into a reset of the lore. Take all the things that have worked in other games, and adopt them into one coherent story that starts now. And every subsequent game builds from this game, moving forward, with a set series of events and a set lore. One timeline that makes sense.

Reactions: Aku

Aku

What I would personally love to see is a redo of the lore of the series. I mean, if they turned BoTW into a reset of the lore. Take all the things that have worked in other games, and adopt them into one coherent story that starts now. And every subsequent game builds from this game, moving forward, with a set series of events and a set lore. One timeline that makes sense.
Me too. It sounds like they may be resetting the lore (at least with Ganon) so maybe they ought to keep going. The lore for origins is all over the place, and if they could just pin it down and just say 'This is how it starts' without changing it later, then that would be awesome.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Me too. It sounds like they may be resetting the lore (at least with Ganon) so maybe they ought to keep going. The lore for origins is all over the place, and if they could just pin it down and just say 'This is how it starts' without changing it later, then that would be awesome.

I wouldn't even mind if they kept it vague so that we (the fans) can still have theories. I think theorizing and having fan-made speculation was so fun. Have like a general story, but instead of telling us "this is the real story" just give us tiny bits and pieces throughout the game so that there are a few different possibilities. Sort of like they do in Demon's Souls. I'm just now playing that game, and there is definitely a story, but they don't throw it in your face.

Aku

I wouldn't even mind if they kept it vague so that we (the fans) can still have theories. I think theorizing and having fan-made speculation was so fun. Have like a general story, but instead of telling us "this is the real story" just give us tiny bits and pieces throughout the game so that there are a few different possibilities. Sort of like they do in Demon's Souls. I'm just now playing that game, and there is definitely a story, but they don't throw it in your face.
Maybe they still might? It definitely allows more wiggle room when they eventually pan out story ideas for the next game, not to say 'XYZ happens exactly like this.' Plus it seems they would like people to think about stuff in the game, which probably means not having definitive answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom