• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Does the Timeline even matter for BotW?

I've been trying to figure out all the references I've seen in the trailers and the closest I've gotten is that it could be in the same timeline as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. I like the idea that its in the Twilight Princess timeline but then the Koroks don't make sense. Now I'm wondering if the timeline even matters or if this is just like an OVERVIEW game or something. Something that exists outside the timeline? I don't know~ What do you think?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
It matters.

As for timeline placement, I've always thought it was before spirit tracks and after Phantom Hourglass. With new evidence, that idea looks stronger. If you have the Hyrule historia, the timeline shows the following:

Phantom Hourglass

A new continent is discovered

A new Hyrule Kingdom is founded

Spirit Tracks

I believe it goes a little after the "A new continent is discovered" entry.

All this to say, timeline does matter. Is it necessary? Maybe not but it adds so much to the story and it connects all the games.

Tompatuk

Living the dream
I've never been bothered by the time line and I think if you started applying the time line as strictly as some of its theorists do then you could start restricting games.

Don't get me wrong there is some fun to be hand in trying to tie them all together but I read some of the arguments people get into over time lines and I think to myself, get a life people.

So I hope BoTW breaks all the timelines and we get an unleashed Zelda.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I've been trying to figure out all the references I've seen in the trailers and the closest I've gotten is that it could be in the same timeline as Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. I like the idea that its in the Twilight Princess timeline but then the Koroks don't make sense. Now I'm wondering if the timeline even matters or if this is just like an OVERVIEW game or something. Something that exists outside the timeline? I don't know~ What do you think?
It will be part of the timeline but I don't really care where.

It matters, but ultimately only from a global perspective. Zelda games have always been designed to be pretty much self contained so that anyone can pick up and play without needing to know the stories of a dozen other games as well. Maybe knowing how the game connects to its immediate prequel is helpful as in TP or WW, but not 100% necessary.

In BotW's case, the backstory so far seems that it is not the story of a Link or game that we've seen before, but someone brand new. This game will likely be self contained, so could hypothetically fit almost everywhere in the timeline where Ganon has had a history with the Hyrule Royal Family. So after TP, or near the end of the decline timeline could work.

I am extremely doubtful of the Adult Timeline though; the Koroks by themselves are evidence of nothing, the flood needs not be the only thing that caused the Kokiri to change form, and if Nintendo wants to use them in another timeline they are perfectly free to. And the Adult timeline is so far split from the Hyrule of the past, I can only see Nintendo using that timeline in non-Hyrule or New Hyrule adventures going forward.

Aonuma said we will discover where this game takes place as we play, but ultimately where it ends up going won't make too much difference, I think. The story is being made to stand on its own, as Nintendo nearly always does.

Aku

Aonuma does say that as we play through it that this game would reveal where it fits, but for me personally I always was kind of hoping that this game either ends up shortly after Skyward Sword, or is on a branch of the timeline we've never seen before.

The reason being is because for any game set after OoT there is barely any new revelations regarding Ganon to keep him interesting (I'm bored of him being a Gerudo man) and inevitably half of the new Links' accomplishments end up being tied to or compared to OoT's Link. But if it's somewhere before that? Then it feels like the game can still surprise us.

Well it could certianly be in the fallen hero timeline as well, you know. In all of the games in this timeline the master sword is located in the lost woods. And in BOTW, where is the master sword located? Right. So it it really hard to tell where this game should be placed.

It matters.

As for timeline placement, I've always thought it was before spirit tracks and after Phantom Hourglass. With new evidence, that idea looks stronger. If you have the Hyrule historia, the timeline shows the following:

Phantom Hourglass

A new continent is discovered

A new Hyrule Kingdom is founded

Spirit Tracks

I believe it goes a little after the "A new continent is discovered" entry.

All this to say, timeline does matter. Is it necessary? Maybe not but it adds so much to the story and it connects all the games.

Well, this doesn't really make sense because of in all of the trailers and gameplays we can clearly see the temple of time and other locations from the OLD Hyrule before it was flooded in the adult timeline. The hyrule you see in the gameplay of BOTW is not in the new Hyrule Kingdom.

And the old hyrule kingdom between phantom hourglass and spirit tracks is flooded...

Or am I wrong? What am I missing?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Well, this doesn't really make sense because of in all of the trailers and gameplays we can clearly see the temple of time and other locations from the OLD Hyrule before it was flooded in the adult timeline. The hyrule you see in the gameplay of BOTW is not in the new Hyrule Kingdom.

And the old hyrule kingdom between phantom hourglass and spirit tracks is flooded...

Or am I wrong? What am I missing?

You are assuming that the water didn't dry up! In game, on some mountains, you can find sea salt. Why would you find sea salt on a mountain if it had not been flooded over before? :)

You are assuming that the water didn't dry up! In game, on some mountains, you can find sea salt. Why would you find sea salt on a mountain if it had not been flooded over before? :)

Yeah, I've seen the screenshots of Link finding Sea Salt but how and why would the water dry up? And when did it dry up in that case? Right after Phantom hourglass? :)

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Yeah, I've seen the screenshots of Link finding Sea Salt but how and why would the water dry up? And when did it dry up in that case? Right after Phantom hourglass? :)

Well my thinking is, the goddesses had the power to flood the land, they also had the power to dry it up. Keep in mind that we don't know how much time is between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks. We do know that in Spirit tracks, the technology of locomotion has been invented. If we look at the tech in BotW we some advances from the old world tech of WW and PH.

Well my thinking is, the goddesses had the power to flood the land, they also had the power to dry it up. Keep in mind that we don't know how much time is between Phantom Hourglass and Spirit tracks. We do know that in Spirit tracks, the technology of locomotion has been invented. If we look at the tech in BotW we some advances from the old world tech of WW and PH.

Okay, yeah I can see that being possible, for sure :) Since you're not the first one to advocate BOTW being in the adult timeline after WW and/or PH, I would like to know people's perspective on how the vast ocean disappeared, haha. Thank's bud!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom