• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does the curse of Demise also affect how often we see reoccurring characters in the Zelda series?

Ashley the Witch

Monster: A word used to discriminate the unknown.
ZD Champion
Does the curse of Demise also affect how often we see reoccurring characters in the Zelda series? Or is this a result of descendants sharing a family trade, with an uncanny personality and resemblance?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'd say not. Reoccurring characters in Zelda happen because people already have attachments to previous version of them, so it creates investment in those new versions even if nothing's done with them.

While it is obviously true that the real world reason for the characters to keep popping up, is that we, the players, connect to them. Tough, the question is not about the real world reason, as I understand it, but about the in universe reason.

I think it is either due to the curse, or a greater reincarnation cycle that the curse simply takes advantage of. The wording of the curse does not simply indicate one or two souls, but a whole people.

Daku Rinku

On Break (Will Not Be Online for Now)
ZD Champion
I think the curse of Demise can be interpreted to still be in effect because of Totk especially, however, it is quite possible its self contained to Skyward Sword and has no bearing in later entries.

My personal headcanon is The Curse is still in effect because it explains why this cycle between Link, Zelda, and Ganon goes on, and on, and on.

Why do certain NPCs return? Think of like chess in hands of the Goddesses, each new matrix or cycle has certain characters in to repeat the cycle over and over, and over.

I am sounding like Baylan Skoll:

IMG_1405.jpeg

Ashley the Witch

Monster: A word used to discriminate the unknown.
ZD Champion
I think the curse of Demise can be interpreted to still be in effect because of Totk especially, however, it is quite possible its self contained to Skyward Sword and has no bearing in later entries.

My personal headcanon is The Curse is still in effect because it explains why this cycle between Link, Zelda, and Ganon goes on, and on, and on.

Why do certain NPCs return? Think of like chess in hands of the Goddesses, each new matrix or cycle has certain characters in to repeat the cycle over and over, and over.

I am sounding like Baylan Skoll:

View attachment 76125
So Termina in a larger scale, lol

Does the curse of Demise also affect how often we see reoccurring characters in the Zelda series? Or is this a result of descendants sharing a family trade, with an uncanny personality and resemblance?
Yes, absolutely.

In the same way the spirit of the hero, the blood of the goddess, and the reincarnation of hatred cycle, so too does the servant, the sages, the horse spirit, the cucco spirit, the bug spirit, etc. In many cases, they are different forms but serve the same role.

There is the hero (Link), the goddess (Zelda) and the demon (usually Ganon).
Then there is the partner (usually Malon), the servant (usually Impa) and the minion
Then there is the beetle (Beedle), the cucco (Anju), and the fairy (Tingle)
Then there are the goddesses (Din, Nayru, Farore) and their oracles or their servants (SS dragons/BotW dragons) (Volvagia, Jabu-Jabu, Great Deku Tree)
Then there are the nine sages (Time, Fire, Water, Forest, Shadow/Lightning, Spirit, Light, Earth/Snow, Wind)

All of these roles are frequently recurring enough that they must be descendants or in the cycle somehow. Impa, Malon and the sages especially are no doubt caught in this endless cycle.

Daku Rinku

On Break (Will Not Be Online for Now)
ZD Champion
Ganondorf refers to a cyclical curse in the Twilight Princess Manga that he seeks Zelda’s aid to stop. So yes, The Curse of Demise does effect who we see return, even if Demise has no bearing on the legends not connected to Skyward Sword, there is a cycle happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom