• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Does the Auto Jump Annoy You?

Growing up I played Mario games/Platformer games that one of the important aspects was the Jump Button, Then in early 2010 i got my 1st LOZ game Twilight princess. when i first discovered the Jump mechanic it threw me off sence i was use to haveing a button for jumping but soon i got use to it, But personally it some times annoys me with cheep deaths when link Auto Jumps off a cliff if your not careful. sometimes i wish Link can Jump freely so my question is this Did the Auto Jump ever annoy you?.

Also A little trivia. During the development of OOT the Creators did have a Jump Button for it but soon changed it to the current Auto Jump.. I wonder why they changed it.

Well Ocarina of Time took more cues from the Mario franchise during the beta phase than just a jump button. Miyamoto was originally unsure of the N64's capacities and intended for levels to be accessed via jumping into paintings. this feature never annoyed me. In fact, I believe auto jump fits the franchise well.

donkey kong

Juicy pants.
I don't mind the fact that their is an automatic jump. I feel it fits the games very well. If auto jump was in mario though, I would hate it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it makes the gameplay better, personally. Jumping at will is something more for a platformer like Mario or Sonic (or something with intense action). A puzzle-filled game like Zelda works better with an auto-jump since there are designated portions where jumping is required. It just wouldn't feel right jumping at will in 3D Zelda if you ask me.

I can't imagine a Zelda without the autojump. Sometimes jumping in 3D adventures just doesn't feel right and i don't think it would feel right in a Zelda game. I don't even know if OoT would have done so well without it, its a really wonderful mechanic and i wish a lot of other games had that feature instead of using a jump button. So i hope that Zelda continues the autojump trend.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
It's extremely convenient in my opinion. It's one less button you have to push when casually running around, but I still roll just before a jump for two reasons: I'm probably already rolling around to go faster and because in Majora's Mask if you roll before a jump (or run with the Bunny Hood on) you'll jump further, which is heplful in many places, and it's one of those habits that you carry on to other games.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Auto jumping auto jumping what can I say I love it, it's like Cel - Shaded Deku said it's very convenient and in the 2d zelda games minish cap or OOA for example I like how they go into a ball. XD But that's not the point. Sometimes yes it's annoying when it happens when I don't want it to happen like the heart piece you get in ALTTP for the heart piece you have to get in under 15 seconds i've fallen to many times trying to get that heart piece but it's kinda my fault. Either way I love it like I said before. :P

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love auto jump and never want it to disappear, however, the only games where it annoyed me were Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. For some reason, in TPGC, I notice a slight lag between my control stick movements and whatever Link does on screen. Sometimes, when rolling, Link will auto jump into a lava sea. Annoying.

SS is much the same, but much more manageable since there are few if any pits and they have the added benefit of never harming you.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I can't imagine the auto jump bothering anyone. Like many others have said it suits the Zelda series very well. I've grown so used to it I don't even notice it anymore. It's very convenient since you don't have to push a button to jump, and there isn't too much need to jump around anyways so I say it's fine. The auto jump is pretty much here to stay, and that's just the way I like it.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I like auto jump personally.

I like being able to run off of a ldge without the burden of timing my own jump and possibly falling to my doom. I prefer items like rocs feather or cape that allow us to jump

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
It's funny, because I never even think about it anymore.

I'm so used to playing Zelda games (there are few games that I love as much as the series) that jump buttons are actually the oddities for me, and they take more time to get used to than the auto jump. I am so, so, so awful at platforming games like Mario. The only time I actually have to think about it is when one of my friends play; it's really quite interesting how everyone's first question to me when playing one of my games is "How do I jump?" More than once, my answer of "You just run up to the cliff," confuses folks...

Short answer: No. It doesn't annoy me. I like it. XD

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
Actualy, its only Auto-Jump untol you get your bombs, blow yourself up to fly backwards, this is not helpful in the 3D games but VERY helpful in alttp theres some things you can'tnget without that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom